All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: the expanding matter hypothesis
Post #61 Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:55 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
The only way for the spring to remain stretched is if there are TWO forces acting on it in opposite directions. When one of those forces goes away (you drop the spring), it will always oscillate as it falls, no matter what the other force is. It will not remain stretched out. This is true if it was gravity, an accelerating spaceship, a magnetic field, the spinning space station in 2001, a mass you were swinging over your head, or the guy next to you.

Post #62 Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 39
GD Posts: 25
OGS: phillip1882
hey fwiffo, not sure i agree, in a uniform magnetic field sure, certainly. but in an unbalanced magnetic field where its more forceful at the bottom than the top it should stay stretch out during free fall.

Post #63 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:10 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 353
Was liked: 107
GD Posts: 460
I admire the patience of Amnal and Violence. I also somehow respect Phillip, I dont think he is trolling, though I would advise him to read the book shown here.

Attachment:
Fads10001.JPG
Fads10001.JPG [ 201.77 KiB | Viewed 2388 times ]

Attachment:
Fads20001.JPG
Fads20001.JPG [ 163.52 KiB | Viewed 2388 times ]

Post #64 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:33 am 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 23
KGS: DrBobC
Tygem: 35kyu
I've a PhD in this... did physics research for 20 years... and taught at undergrad, postgrad and PhD level.

First law of physicists.. don't get drawn into this type of thread... the OP will neither understand or believe you. :D

Second law of physicists: respects other people opinions and beliefs and just smile in a knowing way. This way you will remain popular and appear open minded.

Third law of physicists- if the topic moves on to physics.. change the topic of conversation as quickly as you can.... try talking about cars/girls/sport...

Trust me... physicists are strange and viewed as such.

I am reminded of a story about Einstein and Marilyn Munro.. One night she left his bedroom (he was about 60 at the time) having spent most of the day there. She looked dishevelled and a little distressed. Out came Einstein with a big smile on his face and revealed to one of his colleague that, after only a few hours he believed that Marilyn now understood all he had to say about special relativity...

Geeze... magnetic monopole.. do you really believe any one will understand an artefact of Maxwells equations..and centre of mass problems ..... cars/girls/sport..

This post by BobC was liked by 2 people: BaghwanB, topazg

Post #65 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:07 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
phillip1882 wrote:
hey fwiffo, not sure i agree, in a uniform magnetic field sure, certainly. but in an unbalanced magnetic field where its more forceful at the bottom than the top it should stay stretch out during free fall.

Yes, and when this happens with gravity we call it tidal force. If you had a very long spring, or a very steep gravitation field (e.g. near a black hole), you could get the same effect. The force on one end of the spring is greater than the other - just as if you were pulling on the two ends - so the spring stretches out.

The previous discussion was that of a more Earth-like, human-scale situation though.

Post #66 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:30 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 39
GD Posts: 25
OGS: phillip1882
in many ways i'm glad i started this topic. i know i made myself an idiot, but what bettter way to learn?
:blackeye:
i won't delve into a discussion about magnetism given my obvious ignorance about even gravity and it's affects.
i'm very thankful to both anmal, violence, fwiffo and others for thier patience with me.
:salute:

Post #67 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:36 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
It's pretty clear that it's not just a hypothesis, matter does expand over time.

Proof: waistlines
:grumpy: