Post subject: Imagination of a Go Master Takemiya Masaki
Post #1 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:59 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
KGS: markeemark
Online playing schedule: irregular due to work
Hi all

I am trying to find this book in the Uk, I have seen it in the USA and wondered if anyone knew where I could get it, as the cost of postage is signifcant.

I interested in his cosmic style as I have been looking through the master play book on him from Yuan Zhou.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Alternatively if anyone has a good copy that they would like to sell, let me know.

Regards

Mark

Post subject: Re: Imagination of a Go Master Takemiya Masaki
Post #2 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:41 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 67
Perhaps http://www.hoylesonline.com/contact/

I know the book isn't on their website, but they did have it for sale at the recent oxford go tournament, so they may still have copies. So email or phoning them to enquire might be an idea.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:56 pm 
Dies with sente

Hi Peter

Thanks

I was at Oxford, it was my first tournament and it didn't got that well. How did you do?

I thought I saw it there but my eyes found something else.

I'll call them in the morning and check out the price.

Regards

Mark

Post #4 Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:41 pm 
Dies with sente

Hi again Peter

I bought this book and whilst the content looks really good and interesting, I have to say im disappointed at paying £35 for the book with postage given that it isnt even bound properly!

It comes in a very flimsy ring binding, which makes the book (in my opinion) look cheap.

I havent read it yet, but although I take good care of my books, I'd look to take extra care with this one.

Very disapointing in appearance, however it looks like a good read.

Regards

Mark

I got a BGA discount from Pentangle (a great supplier) quick service but had to pay for first class postage that bumped the price back up.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:26 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 60
GD Posts: 248
markeemark wrote:
Hi again Peter

I bought this book and whilst the content looks really good and interesting, I have to say im disappointed at paying £35 for the book with postage given that it isnt even bound properly!

It comes in a very flimsy ring binding, which makes the book (in my opinion) look cheap.

I havent read it yet, but although I take good care of my books, I'd look to take extra care with this one.

Very disapointing in appearance, however it looks like a good read.

Regards

Mark

I got a BGA discount from Pentangle (a great supplier) quick service but had to pay for first class postage that bumped the price back up.

Yeah, regular bound books look nicer. I find the ring binding here to be decent however.

Furthermore, if you are reading a book while playing its games out on a board, spiral bound books lay flat and you do no damage to the spine forcing it open.

I would not go as far as to say I prefer them, I think I do not, but that advantage should be pointed out.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:28 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 67
Glad I could help you find it. I was aware of the unusual binding, but that is the only format the Takemiya book "Imagination of a Go Master" comes in to my knowledge. Its not a book I've read, but it was the one you enquired about.

As someone who is sensitive to bindings, I would suggest you are cautious about buying paper copies of Hinoki press books. I have suffered from pages falling out due to the glue of the binding failing to hold them. ( The so called 'perfect binding' method - far from perfect ). Its not a criticism of the content or translation. If ( when? ) I get an Apple iThingy, I will look at the SmartGo books, because they can't have binding problems. It will also be easier to carry them about.

In my opinion, the Kiseido books ( which happen to be printed in Japan ) have the best bindings of English language Go books. I also like the content. The Mastering the basics series is particularly appealing.

This post by PeterHB was liked by: imabuddha

Post #7 Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:30 pm 
Dies with sente

Hi Peter

Your right about the Hinoki paper books, I dont own any but have seen them and whilst the content seems good I wouldnt be purchasing any due to the binding.

Lee Sedol's new (ish) book on his commented games is beautiful and well presented with great binding as we are on that subject!

With regards

Mark