It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This virus must be eradicated
Post #1 Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:53 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
This is about polio, as everybody may have guessed.

Read on the eurogofed website https://www.eurogofed.org/index.html?id=305

Quote:
The tournament will start on 16 January, 2021. All participation fees go to 100% to “End Polio Now”. All prizes are donated by our sponsors. We play 5 rounds McMahon system, spread out over two months. There will be a special competition for city teams, so forward this information to your Go friends to get a team together for your city!

This post by jlt was liked by: gennan

Post subject: Re: This virus must be eradicated
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 39
GD Posts: 25
OGS: phillip1882
the text of the site isn't english.
can you tell me how to submit a result?

Post #3 Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:01 pm 
Gosei

Did you register to the tournament?
If you did, the organizer sent an email in English with all the information.
If not you can still join the tournament.

https://www.dgob.de/wettbewerbe/end-polio-now/

Click on "english" for explanations and on "registration".

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:47 pm 
Lives in gote

yes i already registered and played my first game. i see no email about submitting results.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:52 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
phillip1882 wrote:
yes i already registered and played my first game. i see no email about submitting results.

Check the email with the 1st pairing again. There's a link to a table where you're supposed to enter your result in (see 4.). Although I gotta admit I'm having trouble accessing it atm :scratch: I sent a message via the German Go forums to one of the organisers and I hope they'll fix it quickly.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:17 am 
Gosei

Indeed there is a link starting with http://collabedit.com but apparently the whole collabedit website is down.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:40 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
jlt wrote:
Indeed there is a link starting with http://collabedit.com but apparently the whole collabedit website is down.

It's up again!

Post #8 Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:12 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
I like and support the idea but I don't like the time format. 1h main time per player... , for me as an amateur go player that's way too much to play another amateur over the internet. Alone in front of the screen is already bereft of all these nice little things a tournament makes great: moving around the venue, looking at games of friends or known players, getting some fresh air and meeting other players smoking...

I wait for the ascencion of mickey-mouse-tournaments... as they are the norm in online-chess.

Post #9 Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:00 pm 
Gosei

I actually like long time settings, which force us to read thoroughly instead of guessing. Well, I still guess a lot, but less than in fast games. If all internet tournaments were with short time settings, then we wouldn't be able to play long games before the end of the coronavirus crisis.

The "End Polio Now" tournament, as well as the Corona Cups, follow the format I prefer for internet tournaments: not more than 1 match/week. Tournaments which take place over one weekend are exhausting if you have to play five 2hr+ matches in front of a screen.

Post #10 Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:46 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
jlt wrote:
I actually like long time settings, which force us to read thoroughly instead of guessing. Well, I still guess a lot, but less than in fast games. If all internet tournaments were with short time settings, then we wouldn't be able to play long games before the end of the coronavirus crisis.

I can totally relate, though from my experience amateurs - on average - don't actually increase their playing strength with longer time controls (not talking about correspondence, Uberdude!) - there might be a threshold, where further time investments do not lead to better moves/decisions. Amateurs might think longer but they still do ponder the same bad moves or just spent more time reading lines which lead to a bad result (which often times don't will be judged at all in the process). This is just anecdotal of course, my "overall experience", and there are exceptions, I even know one.

You can also rephrase this all as training. If you think longer about moves you might remember your reasoning and thus - retrospectively - spot flaws in it therefor improving your game. Which I believe holds true, that's why I like to play longer tournaments in real life. But for the reasons mention above I don't like it online.

I'm not saying every online tournament should have faster time settings. People should play settings they feel comfortable with and enjoy. Online, I would enjoy some rapid tournaments for a change (like 15min/3*20sec).

Post #11 Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:03 am 
Gosei

Yes there is a threshold, which is certainly lower at 10k than at 1d, and lower at 1d than at 6d. Most of the time, overthinking doesn't lead to better moves, however in delicate situations (like solving tsumegos) we may need 10 minutes of thinking time, and this is not possible in byo-yomi. So I am fine with 1h + byo-yomi, generally I don't enter byo-yomi or barely, and can take the liberty to drink, go to the toilet, etc. without feeling rushed.

But I am not saying that all internet tournaments should have long time settings. I did participate in friendly blitz tournaments as well.

This reminds me... A few months ago, I was playing on a go server, and my opponent resigned because I was playing too fast. On another go server, someone resigned because I was playing too slowly.

Post #12 Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:40 pm 
Lives in gote

was there 5 rounds to the tournament or only 4? i didn't receive any info about the 5th round.

Post #13 Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:53 pm 
Gosei

There were 5 rounds, the e-mail was sent by Christoph Klawe on Saturday 13 March, 18:19.

The final results are here: https://www.dgob.de/wettbewerbe/end-polio-now/
(click on Wall list).

Post #14 Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:37 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 6
The final results are also here in the EGD https://europeangodatabase.eu/EGD/Tourn ... y=T210115A