It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Goushou
Post #81 Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:55 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 3
Laman wrote:
tapir wrote:
She is now 2:0 in the Guoshou league, winning against Zhou Junxun on Sunday. Has anyone a kifu of that game? (She is 2:4 in the Qiwang league, which is a respectable result for the first league entry imo.)

and today she added a scalp of Chen Shiyuan! beating two top Taiwanese players in one tournament is really impressive. if she retain her pace, she can well become one of the top players herself. i wish her good luck

Taiwan Qiyuan has reports of both games (with Zhou and with Chen) and apparently also the game records available for replay (Zhou and Chen, Joan playing in both with black stones)

next Joanne's games in the Goushou are scheduled at 5th and 12th of July, against another respectable players, Xiao Zhenghao and Lin Shuyang.

interesting is, Joanne just beat Lin Shuyang at the 4th Qiwang league. She won the game by 3.5 points. I wonder if she will beat Lin again, or will it be Lin who take revenge?

There is a kifu that I think is the game, you can check it here

http://gokifu.com/s/kz1-gokifu-20110630 ... 5p%29.html

Post subject: Re: Joanne Missingham
Post #82 Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:13 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
She eventually went 5-2 in the Guoshuo league, but there were 5 total players with 5 wins, and she's still being demoted to the preliminaries. Very strange results: http://igokisen.web.fc2.com/tw/go.html.

Post #83 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:01 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 10
GD Posts: 109
KGS: lovely
Tygem: imsohot
Actually, she will play a play-off match with Zhou Junxun, who also finished 5-2, to decide who will be relegated.

Post #84 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
Unfortunately Joanne didn't make it through to the main tournament in the Samsung Cup, because she had to face Park Jieun again.

It's only a matter of time though. Her fans might be interested in Younggil's commentary of the game between Joanne Missingham and Park Jieun.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

Post #85 Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:58 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
She lead other female players struck a match in Taiwan.
In short, they gave game fee to male players, but didn't give to female players. The sponsor is a town government around Shanghai.

It's written "protest sex discrimination"

News in Chinese: http://sports.sina.com.cn/go/2011-08-30 ... 4981.shtml

This post by jswm was liked by: tapir

Post #86 Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:14 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
jswm wrote:
It's written "protest sex discrimination"

she posted a photo of her new fan on her facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

edit: I posted this before I looked at the news article where the same photo appears

Post #87 Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:09 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 17
Was liked: 7
Unbelievable that they'd do that... It's hard enough to draw women into the game without that kind of nonsense.

Post #88 Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:44 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
Unfortunately she lost what must be the game from the photo.

Enjoy: http://gokifu.com/s/p97

Post #89 Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:30 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Since I have two daughters, my first reaction on seeing this story about JM's fan was "Good on yer!" This was followed by my admiration yet again for Joanne's calligraphy. No recourse to fancy cursive forms this time, thus ensuring clarity of the message, beautifully spaced and weighted, with just a hint of lighter strokes on "sex" and heavier strokes on "discrimination" to put the emphasis in the right place.

But when I read more about the story, it turns out to be a goodwill match between Yunnan and Taiwan, in Taiwan. In other words Ding Wei is a guest. I began to wonder whether Joanne's protest was bad sportsmanship (as in English, not Germlish) against Ding, even if unwitting. He had to try to concentrate amid what must have been a flurry of activity and presumably would not have been party to the payment structure.

Maybe the sex war requires the occasional victim, and I'm still unsure of my final view on this. But the fact it was a goodwill match at home is tilting me towards thinking it was a bit like inviting an envoy to negotiate a truce while one of your soldiers goes off and bombs civilians. Maybe a more honourable stance would have been to refuse to play and/or wear an anti-sex discrimation tee-shirt away from the board.

Post #90 Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:49 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
John Fairbairn wrote:
But when I read more about the story, it turns out to be a goodwill match between Yunnan and Taiwan, in Taiwan.

Do you mean the match in the photo is a goodwill match?

I don't read Chinese, but what I've been able to gather so far, it sounds like all the ladies did protest and walked out of an earlier scheduled qualifying match for a different tournament event -- not the event in this photo.

It appears she's just taking advantage of the photo-op in this match to keep the previous strike in the news.

The young man in the photo doesn't appear to be all that distracted :)

(another story link, but may not have any additional info: http://club.weiqi.tom.com/item_111_2012489_0_1.html )

Post #91 Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
There's been quite a lot of discussion about Joanne Missingham's protest at Go Game Guru too.

xed_over wrote:
I don't read Chinese, but what I've been able to gather so far, it sounds like all the ladies did protest and walked out of an earlier scheduled qualifying match for a different tournament event -- not the event in this photo.

It appears she's just taking advantage of the photo-op in this match to keep the previous strike in the news.

The young man in the photo doesn't appear to be all that distracted :)

That's right, the disagreement came up on August 23, but details about what happened didn't surface until sometime later. The game with Ding Wei in the photo has little to do with it, except that she's been taking the fan to her games as a sign of continuing protest.

By the way, Ding Wei 9 dan looks young, but he's over 30. Maybe some people still consider 30 to be young :).

John Fairbairn wrote:
Maybe the sex war requires the occasional victim, and I'm still unsure of my final view on this. But the fact it was a goodwill match at home is tilting me towards thinking it was a bit like inviting an envoy to negotiate a truce while one of your soldiers goes off and bombs civilians. Maybe a more honourable stance would have been to refuse to play and/or wear an anti-sex discrimation tee-shirt away from the board.

It's a fairly peaceful form of protest and the argument isn't with Ding Wei, but with the Taiwanese Go Association. It's fairly disrespectful to not pay the women at all, as if their time wasn't worth anything. Joanne would be upset too and I think she's justified in her quiet attempts to raise the profile of this issue. Anyway, who's to say Ding doesn't agree with her, except for the man himself?

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

Post #92 Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:55 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
Xed_over: a translation of the article and a link to the original can be found at http://senseis.xmp.net/?GenderDiscrimin ... ts20110829 Correction welcome. Please be gentle...still have a tremendous amount of Chinese to learn.

This post by Velobici was liked by 4 people: Koosh, snorri, tapir, Tsuyoku

Post #93 Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:11 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 6
GD Posts: 186
John Fairbairn wrote:
That's a rather lurid and revealing metaphor. I don't see Joanne Missingham having much in common with Sir Arthur Harris or Curtis Lemay for example, and who exactly are the civilians she's supposed to have bombed?

Reading the comments on this matter on the various pages linked, it has been a bit depressing to see how much of it has been focussed on how "rude" Ms. Missingham is supposed to have been. Polite little girls should be seen and not heard, I guess. Or at least should keep their protests away from the the cameras.

Edit: Apologies to Ez4u, I didn't mean to ninja-edit on you.

Last edited by Andrea on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

This post by Andrea was liked by 4 people: ez4u, gogameguru, nagano, tapir

Post #94 Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:49 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Andrea wrote:

Reading the comments on this matter on the various pages linked, it has been a bit depressing to see how much of it has been focussed on how "rude" Ms. Missingham is supposed to have been. Polite little girls should be seen and not heard, I guess.

I completely agree!

"...Strong inside but you don't know it
Good little girls, they never show it
When you open up your mouth to speak
Could you be a little weak?
When you're trying hard to be your best
Could you be a little less?..."

Madonna and Guy Sigsworth; "What It Feels Like For A Girl", 2001

Post #95 Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:53 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
gogameguru wrote:
There's been quite a lot of discussion about Joanne Missingham's protest at Go Game Guru too.

Thanks for the link - there are some interesting points raised in that discussion.

Post #96 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:46 am 
Lives in sente

She reached the semifinals in the 3rd Haifong Cup. This is the semifinal game she lost. (Thanks to Mr. Kin.) I count her 3 points behind, I am always amazed about these resignations.

Post #97 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:00 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
I got 3 too (2.5 actually) but looking at it closer I think I made a few mistakes. Locally, it looks like w has miai of a reduction of the black group to the immediate east of the last move and a series of unpleasant reductions of the group to the northwest - b can't defend both, no? And careful looking at the nnw, where I counted a point for b and no points for w, it looks like b can't both get her own point and prevent w's. I'm sure I made other mistakes, too. It might be more like 6-8. (not implying that you made my mistakes, tapir, just that b's counting is both more certain *and* more accurate than ours....)

Post #98 Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:43 am 
Lives in sente

Another game against Zhou Junxun, this time ending with half point win by Joanne Missingham, she retains her seat in the Gushou league. I am always amazed by the balance (+counting), half point sounds like a close game but I surely don't expect such a result when half the board is dying...

Thanks to Mr. Kin for publishing the sgf-file.

Post #99 Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:43 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 4
An interview with her, very cute :tmbup: . But they put it with a wrong title :-? .

http://youtu.be/6YCVC6Ia-Eo

Post #100 Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:16 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
tapir wrote:
She reached the semifinals in the 3rd Haifong Cup. This is the semifinal game she lost. (Thanks to Mr. Kin.) I count her 3 points behind, I am always amazed about these resignations.

i counted and she is 6.5 point behind.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next