It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for some helpful comments
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:53 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 59
Universal go server handle: mw42
I played this game for the ASR League. My opponent (who won) said he wasn't sure if he could review it so I told him I'd see if I could get some comments here. Any response is welcomed, thank you!

Last edited by mw42 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Looking for some helpful comments
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:35 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
8: I don't like your choice of r3 and then finishing the joseki at s3, as this makes black play at k3 which reduces the potential of your 4-4 stone at d4 (it already has one of its side extensions taken, losing the second makes it sad). Instead you could tenuki entirely, or extend to r9. Another tactic I like is to play r3 and q4 and then tenuki, the idea being with those moves you have prevented (in sente) black from kicking at r4 to make you heavy and then pincering. After those exchanges if black pincers you can make shape at s3 or s2 and ko, or tenuki yet again. And if black plays in the corner at s3 then you just extend down the side to r9 or so and black's next move on the corner is much less powerful than his next move after you ignore r4 kick.

20: It's ok, but I prefer b4, then black fix at d8 and w take sente.

22: Black's 21 should have been descent, so you don't need this so much and could tenuki if you want. But actually the presence of k3 does make the 3-3 aji more annoying.

24: I don't know if coming out or simply s2 is better. But my feeling is coming out just helps black develop r7 and your shape was bad. As black already defended at k3 it's not like you get a splitting attack with miai to hurt the side black doesn't help.

34: A nice idea. I think black pushed the wrong way from his 3-3. The rule is to push the side so that if white does make the turn you did it's not developing anything (i.e. black's right), but you do have top side potential.

46: Honte, but as black's o14 is such a nice move I'm wondering if you can tenuki and play p14 p13 o13.

50: Seems dangerous to me, black r8 let you off.

58: Awful greed. You should be overjoyed that black let you connect s9 out in sente (which makes that white group safe so black s2 won't be sente. Why are you saving these junk stones? Go play a big point like taking care of the n17 gap black aimed at with o14.

64: Ah ok, you did sacrifice them and just got some stones on the outside. But is it better than nothing as you also made black thicker.

Bedtime

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:43 am 
Lives in gote

Thank you very much for your comments, Uberdude! I've added them to the .sgf to make them easier for everyone to see.

This post by mw42 was liked by: daal

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:12 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
A few more comments. :)

You lost ground in the opening and were not able to make it up.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:14 am 
Lives in gote

Thanks for your comments! I especially liked what you said about :w13:. The opening is simple but subtle.