It is currently Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How do you choose your opening?
Post #41 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:42 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
SmoothOper wrote:
Its like Lee Changho, sure he touts his end game, but he knows if he doesn't play his standard baduk he is gonna get it handed to him.
I don't even know what to say.

Post #42 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:49 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
SmoothOper wrote:
Eerika Norvio wrote:
SmoothOper wrote:

Like I was saying weak ignorant players aren't good at Fuseki, only the strong players pay attention to Fuseki.

No, many weak players pay attention to fuseki too. All pro players are strong at fuseki, but the implication doesn't go the other way.

You're bad at Fuseki, therefore you must be a weak beginner, and it doesn't matter what your reading ability is because you have all of these weak groups with no eyes. Its pretty clear cut.

I'm trying to figure out if this post is intentionally rude, or just willfully ignorant.

Post #43 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:04 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
topazg wrote:
Indeed, we are not talking about pros, merely an amateur hobbyist - but if that's really your argument, my advice instead becomes "who cares whether it's the best thing to study - it's got value, and if you enjoy it do it" ;)

This we absolutely agree on.

topazg wrote:
Either way, I find it hard to argue cohesively against someone's desire to study something in depth when they're clearly interested in it and it isn't valueless.

Oh, my impression was not "I love studying fuseki, is that ok at my level?" but "At my level, is fuseki study the best way for me to improve?" I admit, I might have to go back and re-read the original question, might have gotten caught up in the conversation a little and start making things up. If it is as you say, you are certainly right and I have no problem with that.

This post by Bantari was liked by: Dusk Eagle

Post #44 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:00 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 41
KGS: KoDream
IGS: SmoothOper
wineandgolover wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if this post is intentionally rude, or just willfully ignorant.

I was primarily just pointing out that you could poopoo just about anything by saying look beginners do X and their groups die therefore X must be not worth while. Try it. The Chinese Fuseki won't help you because beginners play it and they can't use the moyo effectively, so their stones die, therefore it must not be worth while to study that opening.

Post #45 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:55 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 81
KGS: often
liang wei tang 9p once told me that for amateurs, a 10-20 point loss in the joseki/opening might as well not really be a loss. his reasoning was that so much happens in the middle game (swings/deaths/etc) that you can easily make it back.

i mean, if you're equally matched, it's not like your opponent is gonna have the best handle on everything anyway

Post #46 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:17 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
often wrote:
liang wei tang 9p once told me that for amateurs, a 10-20 point loss in the joseki/opening might as well not really be a loss. his reasoning was that so much happens in the middle game (swings/deaths/etc) that you can easily make it back.

It is true that amateur plays are worth less than pro plays, on average. But the difference is not that great. If the correct komi for pros is 6.5, then maybe correct komi for amateur shodan vs. amateur shodan is 5.5. The reason for the difference in komi is that amateurs make more and larger mistakes than pros. Even so, the difference is small.

So, to simulate the 10-20 pt. loss that Liang talks about, let shodan play shodan where White gives 7.5 komi. What are the odds that Black will win? My guess is around 2:1. But we actually have some statistics on similar mismatches, because a lot of tournament games pit unequal opponents in even games. If nidan plays shodan even, what are the odds that the nidan will win? Does anybody think that the nidan does not "really" have an advantage, because the shodan can easily make up the difference?

I do not think that Liang has thought his remark through. Perhaps he observes the large and frequent errors in amateur games and thinks that there will be opportunities for a player who is behind by 10-20 points to make up the difference. That is so. But the player trying to make up the difference is also an amateur. Liang could surely make up a 20 pt. loss in the opening of an even game against an amateur shodan, but the question is whether another amateur shodan could do so. Not likely.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 2 people: gasana, topazg

Post #47 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:57 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 3
Bill Spight wrote:
Liang could surely make up a 20 pt. loss in the opening of an even game against an amateur shodan, but the question is whether another amateur shodan could do so. Not likely.

It happens, and has happened to me.

It's not hard to lose a game when leading 20 points or even more. One careless move is enough.

Post #48 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:32 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 76
Was liked: 29
GD Posts: 1005
Universal go server handle: sverre
SmoothOper wrote:
Its like Lee Changho, sure he touts his end game, but he knows if he doesn't play his standard baduk he is gonna get it handed to him. In theory he should be able to play the mini-Chinese because the beginning doesn't matter and he has superior end game abilities, but when he does play the mini-Chinese he gets demolished. So yeah, his opening doesn't matter, but he better play that one opening that he knows well.

Since when is 75% win-rate equivalent to "getting demolished"???

Post #49 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:14 am 
Lives in sente

Sverre wrote:
SmoothOper wrote:
Its like Lee Changho, sure he touts his end game, but he knows if he doesn't play his standard baduk he is gonna get it handed to him. In theory he should be able to play the mini-Chinese because the beginning doesn't matter and he has superior end game abilities, but when he does play the mini-Chinese he gets demolished. So yeah, his opening doesn't matter, but he better play that one opening that he knows well.

Since when is 75% win-rate equivalent to "getting demolished"???

http://haengma.net/kuksu/return-of-the-king/

His mini-chinese end game didn't look all that great that time, maybe he was practicing on beginners.

Post #50 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:24 am 
Lives with ko

SmoothOper wrote:

His mini-chinese end game didn't look all that great that time, maybe he was practicing on beginners.

So by "getting demolished" you mean "won" :scratch: . Care to explain what Lee's major mistakes were, since obviously his 4 dan professional ("beginner"? Seriously?) opponent was too weak to demonstrate?

Post #51 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:02 am 
Lives in sente

Sverre wrote:
SmoothOper wrote:

So by "getting demolished" you mean "won" :scratch: . Care to explain what Lee's major mistakes were, since obviously his 4 dan professional ("beginner"? Seriously?) opponent was too weak to demonstrate?

He resigned the second game at move 172.

Post #52 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:04 am 
Lives with ko

SmoothOper wrote:

The second game didn't have the mini-chinese.

Post #53 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Quote:
It's not hard to lose a game when leading 20 points or even more. One careless move is enough.

I wish I could make only one careless move per game. Then again, a lot of my moves that I put care into are pretty bad, too. :sad:

This post by Fedya was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #54 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:48 am 
Lives in sente

Sverre wrote:
SmoothOper wrote:

The second game didn't have the mini-chinese.

Like I was saying maybe if he had played a Fuseki he knew, like the mini-Chinese, he wouldn't have had to resign.

Post #55 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:52 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 3
topazg wrote:
Either way, I find it hard to argue cohesively against someone's desire to study something in depth when they're clearly interested in it and it isn't valueless.

Since the topic of this thread was How do you choose your opening (and why), I answered I choose my opening at random, since I don't care about the opening. I still think it's not as important as middle- and endgame, but this isn't exactly arguing cohesively against studying opening. Of course you have to study it sooner or later.

It's not even a big matter if this is done sooner or later. But the thing I wanted to say is that it can be done later.

It is also possible to reach strong shodan level with nothing else than simply playing. A friend of mine has done that.

Post #56 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:50 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Smoothoper: do you actually know anything about how often Lee plays different fuseki or his success with them? You appear to be just pulling all of these claims out of thin air.

Post #57 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:10 am 
Lives in sente

hyperpape wrote:
Smoothoper: do you actually know anything about how often Lee plays different fuseki or his success with them? You appear to be just pulling all of these claims out of thin air.

Yep, pulling things out of thin air.

Post #58 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:03 am 
Honinbo

Eerika Norvio wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Liang could surely make up a 20 pt. loss in the opening of an even game against an amateur shodan, but the question is whether another amateur shodan could do so. Not likely.

It happens, and has happened to me.

Oh, I once made a horrific blunder that cost 80 points. So I only won by 1 point. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: speedchase

Post #59 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:11 am 
Honinbo

Marcel Grünauer wrote:
Amateurs make so many strategic and reading mistakes during the middle game and end game that the opening pales in comparison.

If they understood the opening better, they would not make so many strategic mistakes later on. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #60 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:53 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 443
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Bill Spight wrote:
Marcel Grünauer wrote:
Amateurs make so many strategic and reading mistakes during the middle game and end game that the opening pales in comparison.

If they understood the opening better, they would not make so many strategic mistakes later on. :)

Sure, but to understand the opening better, you need to understand how the midgame flows from the opening and in general, so we're back to pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next