It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crisis of Dedication (to Go)
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:13 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 23
GD Posts: 163
KGS: GoCat
I seem to be going through one of those phases where I wonder if Im' spending too much time at Go as a hobby. This "Crisis of Dedication" came about in an odd way... Last week I ended up in a hospital for a couple days (emergency gall bladder operation; I'm fine now, thanks for asking), and to help me pass the time, my wife kindly brought by not only a Go book or two, but a novel that's been kicking around for a while. I spent much time reading the novel, which turned out to be a very enjoyable book.

Now, that's not a big deal, but what struck me was how much I missed reading novels (and other stuff)! Just due to life's activities (Go included), I haven't spent nearly as much time reading as I have done in the past. I have certain periodicals that I keep up with, but other than that, my nightstand knows only Go books. For the past few years, work, family, and hobbies have kept me from spending time reading. So I'm left wondering if priorities need to shift a bit.

Well, this is nothing new. I'm sure many others can relate in one way or another. And I'm certainly not going to stop playing Go! I enjoy the game too much for that. But I think, possibly, that instead of reaching for the tesuji book, once in a while I'll go for the stack (which is substantial) of unread books.

(Really what I need is to retire in order to free up more time) but the finances, but sadly, the finances just don't quite add up yet.)

Post subject: Re: Crisis of Dedication (to Go)
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:08 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
I understand exactly how you feel. I recently took a week off from Go to spend time with my girlfriend and her family up in Lynchburg. It was hard, initially, to take so much time away from the game. Being a mere 18K, I try to play as much as I can and study. But, being away from the game also made me really think of all the other stuff going on in the world as well and how I could be doing other things instead....

But then I got home and I immediately jumped on the Go ship again. It's not necessarily a hobby. It's a part of who you are, or at least that's the way I see it. But that doesn't mean it's all you can do! :D

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:45 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
A friend of mine has been on-again off-again with go for a while. However, when he is off it, he picks one go activity (his weekly go club) and does only that. That way, he still gets in a little, slowly improves, and can talk about it with me, but he does not burn out and has time for other hobbies. And when he's on-again... well, then the internet gaming and book-buying can resume. It seems like there is room for this sort of compromise in order to fit in excellent things like books.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:26 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
IGS: Exologist
Kaya handle: Exologist
I'm just the opposite, I have to work hard to stick with anything for a prolonged amount of time... :/

Go is the light at the end of the tunnel for me, because it proves that I can stick with something for however long it is necessary.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
There's more to life than go. It's only healthy to realize that once in a while.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
It's all about balance. Go can be a big part of your life, but there's much more to life than playing a game. I am a big reader, a music lover, and I have a job. While I work at home, and can sometimes play go during the day, I actually never play in the evening, which I spend reading, listening, or watching movies (or sitting outside enjoying the lovely, cool evenings here in the Alps). I go through phases when I spend more or less time on go, but I wouldn't let go stop me from reading books, on of the things I like most.

For this reason, I'll probably never get to a very high rank; I can't commit the time necessary to study obsessively. But I enjoy playing and studying go nevertheless.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:55 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
Helel, if you manage to kill all the dan players, we will automatically upgrade to dan.
Computers will then also be immediately above pro strength which saves the huge amount of programming job of go programmers. World will be a better place.

Come on fellow kyu players, come together and stand up against dans...

Post #8 Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:52 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
Helel wrote:
@Kirk:
Ha, you will never get to a very high rank for the same reason I won't.
May as well admit it: We're just too darn old and stupid! :twisted:

Well, stupid, maybe not. Old, yes, that certainly is part of it. But it's also a question of time commitment. If I were older and retired, maybe I'd spend more time studying and playing, but probably when I get to that age, I will not be as productive. Frankly, I'm moving up slowly, and if I can make it to shodan before I die, that'd be ok.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:32 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 23
GD Posts: 163
KGS: GoCat
kirkmc wrote:
For this reason, I'll probably never get to a very high rank; I can't commit the time necessary to study obsessively. But I enjoy playing and studying go nevertheless.

Pretty well sums up where I'm at. Even before my recent "crisis" I wasn't too obsessed with Go, and I don't expect to reach much further in rank. (I do allow myself to obsess a bit about *buying* books, if not actually studying them!) Glad to hear others in a similar mindset.

So many things to do in life... Go is but one.