It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Future of American Go in the works (aka Team America)
Post #1 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:52 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 146
KGS: Thomato
Online playing schedule: Inconsistent
I have played Go for very little time compared to most of my Go contacts, but developments are being made in the south east(where I live) to promote Go and increase amount of american players the aga has.

The first development one of my Go contacts made, which has been in progress for 4 years, is to make a booth for Go in dragon con(which is a huge gaming convention).

The second is a huge one. The AGA is working on a way to make online tournaments that are AGA rated. This will give new players a way to play other american players in serious competitions.

I believe now with the help of dedicated go players we can make america into a major Go playing nation. Do whatever you must, but try to make Go well known in your area of america. If we as a American Go community work together we might be able to make Go more popular than chess.

update: the dragoncon booth is not for sure and might be next year, but there will be a go player there this year to teach.

Last edited by balmung on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Future of American Go in the works (aka Team America
Post #2 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:07 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 13
KGS: ZeroKun
Wow, a Go booth at Dragoncon? Huge is an understatement. I went 1 year and I arrived a day early and there were already 20,000 people in the hotels. Since today is the last day, I hope to hear something about it this week. These both sound like great ideas, but I really wonder if they're going to follow through.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:31 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
I remember DragonCon very fondly from my days as a student at Alabama School of Math and Science in Mobile. Then again, in our dorm, every day was pretty much a gaming convention :)

Balmung, where abouts in Alabama are you located?

Post #4 Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:02 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 146
KGS: Thomato
Online playing schedule: Inconsistent
cdybeijing wrote:
I remember DragonCon very fondly from my days as a student at Alabama School of Math and Science in Mobile. Then again, in our dorm, every day was pretty much a gaming convention :)

Balmung, where abouts in Alabama are you located?

I'm currently in chattanooga attending school, but I live 15 mins away from montgomery in wetumpka. I started a club about 4 years ago and interest did not grow. When I started my club I was in highschool and we had to combine it with chess club. No matter how much I tried I only got one person interested in Go.