It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quarterly Progress Report
Post #1 Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:46 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 25
Apologies as usual for those that frequent both /r/baduk and here, as this is a cross-post of sorts.

I had a couple of years away from the game, starting back again in January, after a handful of games I was a rusty feeling 9k.
Over the last three months I've;
Played about 300 games- 163 on Fox, 69 on KGS, 57 on Tygem, and half a dozen or so each face-to-face, OGS, DGS and IGS.
Solved over 2000 problems from books, mostly L&D but also a lot of Tesuji, and a little bit of endgame. Mostly from the Lee Changho series, 1001 L&D, 200 Endgame and 200 Tesuji, GGPfB
Worked through about 8500 problems on internetgoschool.com
Watched about 50 lectures on internetgoschool
Re-read Lessons in the Fundamentals, again, and also read Awaji's Aphorisms.
Did a bunch of other, less frequent go stuff- reviewed games, played through maybe Lee Changho games, watched Haylee youtube videos, watched high-dan/pro games on Fox, spent a lot of time reading and posting here and on /r/baduk.

Progress has been good- made 4k on KGS today. Hoping to continue the diligent study, enjoyment and progress for the next quarter.

How is everyone else's year in go coming along so far?

Post subject: Re: Quarterly Progress Report
Post #2 Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:40 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 8
Universal go server handle: MysteryFTG
As someone who just started playing Go and struggles to play regularly, I am very impressed.

Do you mind me asking how many hours you spend each day on average on Go?
300 games in 3 months averages out to about 3 games per day.

Like you, I pretty much started playing 3 months ago and barely managed to play 18 19x19 games in 3 months. Not a lot. I mostly play Correspondence since I have a weird anxiety issue when playing live games. Not really anxiety, but I get quite nervous and it's annoying enough that I put off playing live games most of the time.
I also played 104 9x9 games on GoQuest.

What worked better is Tsumego. Graded Go Problems 1 is clear (239, solved 3 times) and I'm at ~200 problems through Vol.2.
2081 problems on 321Go and 1370 problems on GoChild.

Books read (aside from Graded Problems): Just Cho Chikun's Introduction book and a couple pages in the Second Book of Go.

Progress? Went from 30k to somewhere around 25-20k I guess. Since I didn't play many games, I don't have a solid ranking on most servers yet.

I feel like I really have to put more time into playing 19x19 games.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:28 pm 
Lives with ko

MysteryFTG wrote:

Do you mind me asking how many hours you spend each day on average on Go?
300 games in 3 months averages out to about 3 games per day.

I mostly play Correspondence since I have a weird anxiety issue when playing live games. Not really anxiety, but I get quite nervous and it's annoying enough that I put off playing live games most of the time.
I also played 104 9x9 games on GoQuest.

I feel like I really have to put more time into playing 19x19 games.

Initially I was playing a lot of fast-ish games, 5mins + byo-yomi, playing half a dozen or so a day. Now I'm playing 10 mins + byo-yomi, and nearly every day I play 2, and sometimes 3. I imagine that I'll average somewhere between 2 and 3 in the long term.

It depends on how long the games take, but probably playing games takes anywhere between 45 minutes to 2 hours. The internetgoschool problems takes around 15 minutes to half an hour, and solving other problems takes around half an hour. I watch lectures periodically, some are as short as 15 minutes, others as long as an hour. On a typical day I'd spend 2 or 3 hours playing and studying.

I've seen that a lot of people have a type of anxiety around playing online, almost all the people at my local face-to-face club don't really play online for that reason. I use to get it quite a bit, especially years ago when I only played on KGS and worried about wins and losses and the effect on my rank. Now that I play across servers it doesn't seem to worry me as much, and once I started playing a lot individual losses became less important. But you've got to do whatever makes you happy, and enjoy the game. For me, I want to make a big effort to improve and I know playing a lot of games is the most important thing, and now that I've made it a habit to play a couple of games every day, it's easier to keep doing it. I know that once my progress slows down I'll likely find it more challenging to keep up the motivation to play, so hopefully the habits I'm building now will really help carry me through.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:30 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
This year, my progress has closely tracked the general busyness of my life. During the school year when I work a lot (I'm a teacher), I've mostly held steady. But I gained a full stone during the summer when I had the time and mental energy to incorporate what I'd been learning into my game. The last quarter has been during the school year, and at least I have maintained the gains I made during the summer. (Other major life events are also evident on my rank graph. :-) )

Post #5 Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:05 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
I get to play a 19x19 game roughly every other day, not including the correspondence games I've got going on.

I just finished the umpteenth quarter of bouncing between 6/7 kyu. :scratch:

Post #6 Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:08 pm 
Lives with ko

Second quarter is now over!

I've managed to continue my good run of dedication and enthusiasm over the last three months.

I've played at least one game every day, sometimes up to 6 or 7. I'm alternating between Fox and Tygem, but have had a few games elsewhere as well. All but one week I managed to get a face to face game in too, which has been hugely motivating. Probably averaging a little over 2 games a day, so somewhere around 200-250 games played in the last quarter.

I've been very diligent with solving problems. I've solved a little over 7000 on internetgoschool over the last three months, and have been working daily on various books. Of particular note has been the Jump Level Up Series; I just started book 5 last night, and have found them to be excellent, filling in many gaps in my knowledge. Also solving problems from many other sources, including the Chinese problem books I've reviewed here, 800 Rapid Drills, 1000 Weiqi problems, the Lee Changho books, 1001 Life and Death, the GGPfB series (mostly volume 3)...

Theory/study has come mainly from watching lectures on internetgoschool; I finished up the step-by-step course and feel that, much like the Jump level up books, it filled in some fundamentals/basics that I was lacking. After finishing those I was a little lost as to what to work on next, although now I'm working through the middle game training series and it has been excellent. Other sources of theory or general study have been the Lee Sedol self-commented games, a few sections from Yilun Yangs workshop series, Joseki Compass, and replaying of pro games- usually just the opening 30-60 moves, and I can now memorise them quite quickly.

Overall I've probably not put in quite the same effort as the first three months of the year, but I have been consistent in doing the really important things; playing games and solving problems, and I'm really happy with the progress I'm making.

How has everyone else's last three months in go been?