It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

What do you think about using an AI to help you play online and why?
It's totally wrong, even if honest about it 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
It's ok if you use a separate account that clearly says using AI (in username or user info, or tell opponent before game) 58%  58%  [ 19 ]
It's ok on a separate account, but you don't need to tell the opponent 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
It's ok if I'm not just copying the bot moves but thinking myself and studying 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Use AI online is ok 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (please specify in comment) 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 33
 Post subject: Re: Poll on using AI online
Post #21 Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:21 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Chaosrider2808 wrote:
Ah, OK, so you're talking about an automated matching system that matches people based on the rank that it has for them. That makes more sense.

Not particuarly an automated one, manual ones are affected too. An open games/challenges list like on KGS/OGS lists a game offer from Bob [5k]. Mary is 5k and wants a game. She clicks on Bob's offer and challenges him because she wants to play a 5k. She plays a 15d LeelaZero instead and is sad.

Post #22 Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:09 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
My apologies; I used sloppy language.

What I actually meant to say with the word "automated" was "not physically sitting across from each other." That's the important distinction. Any communication that isn't face-to-face is subject to an entire range of IT security risks.

TCS

Post #23 Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:13 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
dsatkas wrote:
What can someone gain by using the AI during the game and not after it?

I have never used an AI to play online, but I suspect that most people who use an AI do it for one or several of the following reasons:

1. to boost up their rank in order to play stronger opponents
    2. in order to brag about their rank
    3. to alleviate the frustration of losing.

Another way to reach these goals is to play many ranked games against bots: since bots tend to repeat the same mistakes, once you find a way to trick them you end up winning more games than you should given your rank.

Sandbagging is another way to reach goal #3 (however it is better to play against people who volunteer in the first place to play against much stronger players).

Post #24 Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:47 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Chaosrider2808 wrote:
What I actually meant to say with the word "automated" was "not physically sitting across from each other."

This entire thread is about "using AI online", the clue is in the title :scratch:

Post #25 Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:25 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
Yes. I was making an observation that was tangential to that topic, but not directly on point.

Sorry.

:oops:

TCS

Post #26 Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:19 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Uberdude wrote:
Sandbagging is (intentionally) playing with a rank lower than your strength, usually because it's fun to beat up weaker people (and to do this you resign games you are winning). There are grey areas, such as temporary rank inaccuracies, an inaccurate low rank because you timeout a lot, a server not allowing you to register with an accurate rank so you have to work your way up through the ranks (e.g. Haylee 3p starting as a 5d on Tygem because that's the highest you can register, I don't count that as bad sandbagging), or playing on a low-ranked account for teaching (e.g. dwyrin, I think this is kinda fishy sandbaggery if you don't tell the opponent, do the ends justify the means?). So if your account says 5k and you are sometimes 15d LeelaZero then yes that's sandbagging. But if you are always LeelaZero (disclosed or not) and your account says 15d that's not sandbagging, it's just an accurate rank. Or if you use LeelaZero to make your account 15d and then start playing with your 5k human moves that's what I call heliumbagging.

I guess I was thinking of the case where I declare a 5k rank and use LeelaZero in free, unrated games. That would be sandbagging.

Post subject:
Post #27 Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:04 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Some folks have an exactly opposite definition ? :scratch:

Post subject: Re:
Post #28 Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:56 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
EdLee wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Urban Dictionary is wrong, written by people who do not know the practice first hand. Sandbagging works this way. First there is deception, either acting as though you do not play as well as you do, or acting as though (in poker, bridge, and other card games of imperfect information) that you do not hold as good a hand as you actually do, and then later metaphorically dropping a sandbag on your opponent or opponents by revealing your strength. In go the deception comes before the game, in poker or bridge it typically comes during the play.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post subject:
Post #29 Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:35 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Bill,

6 & 7 here.

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bill Spight

Post subject: Re:
Post #30 Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:24 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
EdLee wrote:

I think most complaining about sandbagging in go comes from double digit kyu players who encounter an opponent rated double digit but playing much stronger. Sandbagging comes from someone with sadistic intent who likes making weak players suffer. It was mentioned previously that the mechanism of keeping the sandbagger's rating down is by deliberately losing games. The urban dictionary used the word hustler in this context but I think that usually applies when money is at stake. A skillful hustler lures a mark into playing a game, say of pool, by deliberately playing badly losing money, perhaps with a collaborator. The mark is offered a game at money stakes which the hustler loses, then asking for another game at higher stakes which the hustler wins. Part of the skill of the hustle is to get the mark to think that the hustler's win was a fluke and the mark is lured into a game with even higher stakes.