It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is this a joke?
Post #21 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:57 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Quote:
He can put whatever name he wants first. Whether a particular person chooses to call him by his first or last name though is entirely that one person's choice. For instance, I can call you either "John" or "Fairbairn." Even if you insist that I don't call you Fairbairn (or John, for that matter), I am not denying you any rights by refusing to listen to you.

I think you missed the point by a country mile. The admin said Mr Seedol. Seedol is not a surname.

On another point, this forum is not the property of any admins (unless fwiffo counts as one, too). They do have some sort of power, though and they may wish to abuse their power to ban me, but I don't believe that thought has even remotely crossed their minds (about me or anyone else). I don't think any one of them has even shown the slightest tendency to want to abuse their power in that way. I have simply observed and commented on an occasional lack of understanding that there is a world outside America. I make my comments not to castigate and not to provoke, but simply in the hope of opening eyes and ears.

I hope I'm not taken as anti-American. I have spent my last two main annual holidays on long trips to America and plan a bigger one next year. Although these are centred on baseball, my real motivation is to learn about America. I felt ashamed recently that I was so ignorant about one of the most important countries in the world. From several brief press trips I already knew that the gruesome tv and Hollywood image of the USA was warped. I therefore began a course of reading and visits to get a better picture.

I have been delighted with learning how attractive the real USA can be, and the joys of learning about other nations are such that I readily urge others to do the same.

Post #22 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:04 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
John, thanks for taking such pains to be understood. Being careful to explain yourself saves internet misunderstandings, and the giant tangents it can take to resolve them.

Post #23 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:24 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
Calling this thread a "gangfest of public ridiculue" much less suggesting that anything in it is "ridicule" seems pretty severe to me, considering I don't see anything contemptuous or derisive in it. The use of the word "girly", the closest it came, seems to have been simply a poorly chosen word.

Post #24 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:34 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Quote:
Calling this thread a "gangfest of public ridicule"

I didn't. It was a pointer to a possible path. The point of speaking up early is to head them off at the pass. Yi Se-tol's voice has been the subject of scorn in another thread some time ago, so there is a bit of form here.

Post #25 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:15 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
kokomi wrote:
Kirby wrote:
John has a point. Please refrain from calling others "girly", and otherwise making fun of a person's physical attributes.

As a non-native english speaker, i'd like to learn from you what is the equivalent non-negative english word of 'girly' that describes the same meaning?

"girlish", "effeminate", "girl-like".

The last is probably the least likely to elicit offense.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #26 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:19 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
I didn't mean anything offensive, but as a compliment, even more respectful of Lee Sedol. He has no problem displaying/showing his personality both off and on the board. On the board he is tough, off the board he doesn't mind showing a fun side. What I pointed out was just a contrast that many amateurs players that just discovered what Lee Sedol voice sound. What I laugh is that it is fun to see different side of Lee Sedol, a Pro player that I look up to. If I didn't care about him at all, I wouldn't look him up in youtube and see a video like that. :blackeye:

Girly, hillarious was used without any negative intention!!

Post #27 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Kirby wrote:
The reason I thought that John had a point was because making fun of people, in general, is not very nice.

However, it seems that Joaz has formulated an "admin stance" on this issue, so I will not stand in the way of that.

[admin]
It seems that we have two admins with different opinions here. We must talk privately, maybe get a third or fourth admin opinion on this. We'll probably make some formal announcement later.
[/admin]

I really hope you do not "talk privately, maybe get a third or fourth admin opinion on this" and make a "formal Announcement later." That's taking the moderator role here on L19 way too seriously, which I think is part of the underlying problem that I and some others see developing.

From my standpoint, moderators should only exercise their roles when it becomes obvious that the community cannot take care of problematic users or situations, which is very rare around here - no, we don't need to parse out what "obvious" means. It's perfectly okay to be disagreeable, angry or at times offensive and offended. I think we can allow each other the prerogative to be human, flaws and all, and make our own judgments as a result.

By the way, this is one of the most well-behaved forums I've ever been a part of. We regulate ourselves very nicely by comparison.

Post #28 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:20 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
[admin]
It seems that we have two admins with different opinions here. We must talk privately, maybe get a third or fourth admin opinion on this. We'll probably make some formal announcement later.
[/admin]

don't you guys have a private admin forum?

Post #29 Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:10 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
LokBuddha wrote:
Also is this also a joke? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZHluAq97Zg

Who makes Lee Sedol do this?? LOL he is so girly, both his voice and body language. I always imagine he has a killer type of voice.

Well, I don't speak Korean so I guess I cannot be sure, but it looks to me as though the voice is not in synch with the lip movements. Did someone jut voice over it as a joke?

Post #30 Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
I think people are way over reacting to this. Lee Sedol is indeed a public figure and is subject to ridicule. Also, the "ridicule" has been lightly poking fun at best. Has everyone else been reading the same text I've been reading? :scratch: Somehow I can't imagine Sedol logging on to this forum, seeing this thread and immediately starting to cry.

Post #31 Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:24 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
hanekomu wrote:
Having authority watch you is like being - in the best case - guests in someone's house and under constant threat of being thrown out if you say something the authority doesn't like. The alternative - and one that I'd prefer - is that we can feel like we're meeting in a public, open space, a park perhaps, where we can talk about anything we want, slightly controversial or not.

Your analogy of "someone's house" is very accurate. All websites belong to someone. They are all private property.

Every time that you visit private property, be it a house, a store, a restaurant, or whatever, you are "...under constant threat of being thrown out...". If I am a guest in your home, you can throw me out for saying something you don't like. You can throw me out for having brown eyes if you wish.

Most reasonable property owners don't abuse this authority. If they did, their guests would not come back. When you visit your favorite restaurant, they can throw you out if they wish. But do you feel uncomfortable there because of it? Your local movie theater can throw you out, but do you feel uncomfortable there?

It is often the 'public spaces' where we feel most uncomfortable. Do you like the feeling in your local post office or your local courthouse or your local DMV? Would you let your kids play unsupervised in the local public park? Would you bother to read rec.games.go?

The problem with the public area where anybody can say/do anything is that somebody eventually does. And that ruins it for everybody.

Ultimately, what most of us want is a contradiction. We want the feeling of freedom that comes with knowing that we can say or do as we please. And we want the feeling of security that comes with knowing that other people will not seriously abuse that freedom.

Most restaurants/theaters/bars/stores provide this very unobtrusively. Some have a doorman/clerk who will not let someone in who is cleary drunk or raving or otherwise unpleasant. If someone does get in and then is disruptive, they will quietly ask that person to calm down or leave. They have the ability to deal with disruptions in a way that is both private and immediate.

A forum like L19 tries to mimic this scheme. The one difference is that there is so little privacy. We can't take someone aside in real time and quietly ask them not to do something. We can do something privately - like send them a PM, but it has little effect until they log in again. We can do/say something immediately - like editing or deleteing a post, but then it is public.
We don't have the ability to step in in a way that is both immediate and private. We can let the disruption remain while we act privately, or we can act publicly. But unlike your local store or restaurant, we can't do both.

Post #32 Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:35 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Your analogy of "someone's house" is very accurate. All website belong to someone. They are all private property.

I agree, but remember that L19 does not belong to the administrators and moderators. L19 belongs to the domain owner.

General contribution from me

I believe the roles that the admins have are that of maintenance, support and administration of the forums and their structure. The admins therefore serve the community by keeping it operational.

I believe the roles of the moderators is in maintaining the atmosphere and content of the threads, and the conduct of posters. The moderators therefore serve the community by keeping it civil.

The admins have a de facto power to moderate, but that is not their primary function. I thoroughly agree with the decision that was made to appoint moderators on a public vote, as they hold the responsibility endowed upon them by the forum users to serve appropriately. The appointment of administrators in the same manner is not appropriate as this is suited to those with technical understanding and capabilities, and these may not be obvious or apparent to those voting.

However, I do believe in the accountability of selection processes, and I do think having admins that are very active in moderation without having been also part of the public selection process is liable to cause resentment, and I suspect some of the issues that have arisen recently are in this category. I am not entirely clear on the best way forward, but I do believe that those with moderation rights should not be above accountability to the forums overall. I also believe that if their suitability for the role is being questioned enough to create more than one thread on the issue, they should be prepared to stand for an approval/rejection/abstention vote with regards to their moderation rights.

Regardless of whether or not I think my moderation actions are "right", or "in the best interests of the community", I feel democratically voted into the rule and equally votable back out of it, and I think the same should go for all of us with elevated rights.

Post #33 Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:39 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
topazg wrote:

The admins have a de facto power to moderate, but that is not their primary function. ....

I agree with this. I will try to get to the improvements I have been wanting to make on the go diagrams shortly :)

Post #34 Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:09 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
Kirby wrote:
It is not necessary to point it out at all.

Post #35 Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:06 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
topazg wrote:
(...) I think the same should go for all of us with elevated rights.

Wowzers, you moderators have "elevated rights"! Does that mean you get to have free cookies here?

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

Post #36 Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
Helel wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Your analogy of "someone's house" is very accurate. All website belong to someone. They are all private property.

I do not believe in property, much less private property. As I have stated before: The only right you have is the right to suffer.
You may hold on to your property, your house, your life, but sooner or later you will lose it all.

You seem to think that "owning" anything gives you the right to set up the rules there. This is to me a very strange notion. :-?

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Every time that you visit private property, be it a house, a store, a restaurant, or whatever, you are "...under constant threat of being thrown out...". If I am a guest in your home, you can throw me out for saying something you don't like. You can throw me out for having brown eyes if you wish.

Yes, and you can get a shotgun and blow my head off. Better to keep things civil.

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
It is often the 'public spaces' where we feel most uncomfortable. Do you like the feeling in your local post office or your local courthouse or your local DMV? Would you let your kids play unsupervised in the local public park?

Hmm, this must be something American or at least Big City. The local courthouse is very nice.
(But there are no post offices any more. Not cost efficient.)

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Ultimately, what most of us want is a contradiction. We want the feeling of freedom that comes with knowing that we can say or do as we please. And we want the feeling of security that comes with knowing that other people will not seriously abuse that freedom.

Anyone can do whatever is physically possible for them and take the consequences of their actions. Some actions will get you killed by the mob, other actions to being gunned down by the police. This is freedom.

Either Joaz's point flew wide of the mark, or you deliberately stepped out of the way. I suspect the latter...