It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this a joke?
Post #1 Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:56 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
Please tell me it is, because I am confused http://justplaygo.com/index.php/JPG/comments/lee_changho_launches_his_singing_career

Post subject: Re: Is this a joke?
Post #2 Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:27 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
I would say, sadly (?), it does appear to be a hoax. Ticketmaster does not appear to be offering tickets, and the quote from Lee Sedol doesn't seem realistic (I assume. Maybe he does play a mean glockenspiel).

Further, I disbelieve that Park Junghwan is not (double negatives!) familiar with Sinatra.

I wanted to make a joke about how Lee Changho's "style" has changed since his early career, but I couldn't think of a good one.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 36
Was liked: 63
KGS: Toge
Professional singing :lol:
World concert tour :lol:

Post #4 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:36 am 
Lives with ko

I can't even imagine Lee Sedol say WTF with his high pitch voice hahahhahhaha

Post #5 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post #6 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:45 am 
Lives with ko

Also is this also a joke? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZHluAq97Zg

Who makes Lee Sedol do this?? LOL he is so girly, both his voice and body language. I always imagine he has a killer type of voice.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:54 am 
Lives in gote

LokBuddha wrote:
Also is this also a joke? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZHluAq97Zg

Who makes Lee Sedol do this?? LOL he is so girly, both his voice and body language. I always imagine he has a killer type of voice.

this is so hilarious.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post #8 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:33 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Well, admins? It's ok to censor British English but it's fair game to allow people to mock someone's physical attributes?

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Kirby

Post #9 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
I can't speak for others but what's humorous to me about it is the contrast, as LokBuddha pointed out, between Sedol's stature as a Go player and his physical/vocal stature.

I don't see what's particularly offensive about that. Frankly, if in that video if it turned out he had the deep booming voice one would expect from a six foot man-you-don't-want-to-meet-in-a-dark-alley, it would have been just as funny given his build. If he were a giant muscular man who had a very soft gentle voice, it would also be funny.

Post #10 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:49 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
John has a point. Please refrain from calling others "girly", and otherwise making fun of a person's physical attributes.

Post #11 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:21 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
[admin]

By engaging in public performances, Mr. Lee separates himself from the non-performing person.
It is a long established tradition in American law that those who deliberately and knowingly seek public audience, such as actors and politicians, are not subject to the same protections against ridicule.

I suggest that the same logic should apply on this forum. If Mr. Lee exibited laughable behavior at the goban through no fault of his own, and a forum member called undue attention to it, we admins might have cause to censor. But when he performs in public, if he gets laughed at, that is his problem.

-JB

EDIT: Actually, a small portion of Mr. Lee's go-playing activities probably do fall into the performance category. His games are often public. If members wish to say that his moves are laughable, they won't encounter admin disapproval either.

EDIT2: Correcting surname.

[/admin]

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: willemien

Post #12 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:35 am 
Lives in gote

Wow, so sensitive :twisted:

If someone feels uncomfortable with it means he himself regards it as bad. When i said hilarious, it's just fun, nothing bad with it. politicial correctness, politiciall correctness, lol, that's another hilarious thing.

Post #13 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
It's no joke when Lee Changho sings Sinatra, as these guys can attest - http://justplaygo.com/index.php/JPG/a_slow_couple_of_days_on_the_news_front

For me, everything about Lee Sedol's demeanor says that he's a delightful, kind and gentle person. Of course his style of play is anything but kind and gentle.

Post #14 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:46 am 
Lives in gote

Kirby wrote:
John has a point. Please refrain from calling others "girly", and otherwise making fun of a person's physical attributes.

As a non-native english speaker, i'd like to learn from you what is the equivalent non-negative english word of 'girly' that describes the same meaning?

Post #15 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:52 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
kokomi wrote:
Kirby wrote:

As a non-native english speaker, i'd like to learn from you what is the equivalent non-negative english word of 'girly' that describes the same meaning?

Feminine.

Post #16 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:58 am 
Honinbo

The reason I thought that John had a point was because making fun of people, in general, is not very nice.

However, it seems that Joaz has formulated an "admin stance" on this issue, so I will not stand in the way of that.

Post #17 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:00 am 
Honinbo

kokomi wrote:
Kirby wrote:

It is not necessary to point it out at all. However, Joaz has already said that this is OK to do, so I will not go against that.

Post #18 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:07 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
By engaging in public performances, Mr. Sedol separates himself from the non-performing person.
It is a long established tradition in American law that those who deliberately and knowingly seek public audience, such as actors and politicians, are not subject to the same protections against ridicule.

So once again we see that only American mores count here. Even the foreigner's right to put his surname first is ignored.

And it is a far from clear case that a go player is deliberately and knowingly seeking what most of us think of as a public performance, especially one who works in Korea who has never been to America, and who does not use his voice for his main job. You could just as easily say that those who moderate public forums deliberately and knowingly seek public audience and are not subject to protection against ridicule.

I find it odd how the famous American right to free speech is denied in one case and claimed in another.

I am really only commenting on the inconsistency of moderation, as I am still narked by earlier incidents, I will freely admit.

As to the original "joke", if you think the young man's voice is hilarious, fine. It doesn't make you a bad person and I personally wouldn't want to censor you. But if you really do want to be part of a gangfest of public ridicule in a case like this, allow me the same right to think you are hilariously sophomoric.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 2 people: daniel_the_smith, FlameBlade

Post #19 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:18 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Kirby wrote:
The reason I thought that John had a point was because making fun of people, in general, is not very nice.

However, it seems that Joaz has formulated an "admin stance" on this issue, so I will not stand in the way of that.

[admin]
It seems that we have two admins with different opinions here. We must talk privately, maybe get a third or fourth admin opinion on this. We'll probably make some formal announcement later.
[/admin]

Post #20 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:25 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
John Fairbairn wrote:
So once again we see that only American mores count here. Even the foreigner's right to put his surname first is ignored.

He can put whatever name he wants first. Whether a particular person chooses to call him by his first or last name though is entirely that one person's choice. For instance, I can call you either "John" or "Fairbairn." Even if you insist that I don't call you Fairbairn (or John, for that matter), I am not denying you any rights by refusing to listen to you.

John Fairbairn wrote:
And it is a far from clear case that a go player is deliberately and knowingly seeking what most of us think of as a public performance, especially one who works in Korea who has never been to America, and who does not use his voice for his main job. You could just as easily say that those who moderate public forums deliberately and knowingly seek public audience and are not subject to protection against ridicule.

Sure, of course you can, but if you do it on a forum where that person is an admin, you may get banned.

John Fairbairn wrote:
I find it odd how the famous American right to free speech is denied in one case and claimed in another.

First Amendment to the United States Constitution wrote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In no way does the right to free speech apply in this case. The admins could come up with a rule saying, for instance, "There is to be no talk about chess anywhere on this forum." They are perfectly within their right to do that. We are also perfectly within our rights to leave and never come back if we feel the rules are becoming too draconian. The first amendment applies only to the government - others are allowed to censor you as long as you are on their property.

John Fairbairn wrote:
I am really only commenting on the inconsistency of moderation, as I am still narked by earlier incidents, I will freely admit.

Fair.

John Fairbairn wrote:
As to the original "joke", if you think the young man's voice is hilarious, fine. It doesn't make you a bad person and I personally wouldn't want to censor you. But if you really do want to be part of a gangfest of public ridicule in a case like this, allow me the same right to think you are hilariously sophomoric.

Also fair.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

This post by Dusk Eagle was liked by 3 people: iambadatgo, Joaz Banbeck, willemien