It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Domestic-style internationals?
Post #1 Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:43 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
Despite hoping to complete all go errands before posting anything else here, circumstances have made it so that it's best I say some things now, otherwise I never would as I want to complete my go errands to the best of my ability.

A pro tournament were each qualification slot is held on a different date; less tournament clashes when they choose which date to qualify in and less contact for corona. To that end, it might also be efficient if each block in the main round occurs at a different date for similar reasons. It might in addition then be possible to C-B-A preliminaries and base seeding in each and the main tournament on previous performance. After these preliminaries, a special combined preliminary of seniors, western pros (inclusive) and female pros (I'm not sure why western pros aren't entered into special preliminary slots more often rather than the main draw.

While organisations with a large depth of strength may prefer this, a nation-blind international tournament might not be convenient for everyone. They could hold mostly nationally seeded tournaments by contrast (and maybe each would have to seed a player a the 'special' category. Either way, both extremes seem more suited to this time frame now.

Many international tournaments have multi-game finals but I wonder whether a single two-day international title match may appear one day . . . (making time limits increase every round from prelims to title match might be a way).

Post subject: Re: Domestic-style internationals?
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:24 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
Year 1: 30 each China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and top placed two in American Masters and top three each in European Okan and European Open (any extra places from duplicates go to the top placed woman from the Open, then Okan, then Masters, and any extra places from duplicates in those would be given to the highest placed player with the lowest rating in the same order)+128 winners of this round last year>128>64>32>16. There are 16 qualification slots each reached by four rounds. Assuming two rounds a day are held, this means that there are 16 two-day periods each with 16 participants that can be held at different weeks in a normal association building alongside domestic games.

Year 2: 16+16 winners of this round last year>16>8>4>2 as a single 2-day final