It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Based on these 4 games, was GonJinn using AI?
Yes, I'm sure. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but I'm not sure. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know. 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
No, but I'm not sure. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, I'm sure. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Can you determine the use of AI based on 4 games?
Post #1 Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:58 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 10
Based on only 4 games, is it possible to determine the use of AI?

Game 1:

Game2:

Game 3:

Game 4:

Attachments:
File comment: Games 1-4
Games.zip [6.43 KiB]
Downloaded 473 times

Last edited by Sampi on Fri May 29, 2020 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Can you determine the use of AI based on 4 games?
Post #2 Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:14 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
What do you mean, the use of AI?

What is the evidence of using AI in go, except becoming a better player?

As for using AI to cheat, I suppose the giveaway is relatively poor reading skill.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:12 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
Online cheating is very difficult to detect, read for instance

https://www.nordicgodojo.eu/post/33/how ... -online-go

This post by jlt was liked by: Harleqin

Post #4 Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:22 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Put the games in the embedded eidogo player and forum members will more likely examine them.

I presume you mean using AI during the game, rather than to study before the game.

Some games of the same player where he is known to not be using AI (eg before strong bots if he was same strength years ago, in person game records where more easily believed to have not been cheating) for comparison allow stronger conclusions.

Post #5 Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:30 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
I think that just from a game by itself, you cannot say whether AI was consulted. If you know a player's recent games, you may be able to make a case that the play in the game is improbable, but I suspect this will be not convincing enough for anything approaching dan levels. It becomes hopeless if players use AI only in some moves.

So, proctors seem like the only solution to me.

Using a VR set as a “proctor”, as Antti proposed, is interesting, but also seems too easy to spoof to me. Besides, I am a bit concerned about the development of surveillance technologies.

Another option could be a two-webcam setup (one from the front, one from the back), but again, it seems easy to spoof.

In both VR set and two-webcam setup I would feel quite uncomfortable that any movement I make or do not make might be seen as suspicious. It's the classic surveillance conundrum: do you really want to put everyone under suspicion just to catch the few bad actors? I don't want to get philosophical here, but the answer should generally be “no”.

In conclusion, I think that actual human proctors are the only way forward. Proxy venues, as Marcel proposed, seem like a very useful thing to me.

There is one more option: play only bots, or care not whether your opponent is one, but this is of course not realistic for tournaments.

Post #6 Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:54 am 
Judan

The play is obviously stronger than any of the KGS ranks next to his name. Without checking vs AI, I'd say first game he hit all the opening points AI likes, which a mid-dan player like myself who has trained with AI can identify, though the chance of getting a dozen such decisions right in a row diminishes. I'd be tempted to atari at a10 before defending, but is that bad human atari love because a11 is also sente? If bot doesn't want to that's another point towards bot cheating, though of course strong humans can also resist ataris.

Game 3 loss ending looks like a misclick/too eager click of expecting W to answer at h16 (0 point gote) and then playing g6 as next planned move without realising white actually played h4 sente. This could happen with a non-cheating human not paying attention, but switching between a bot and the game board probably makes such mistakes more likely.

Game 4 move 32 is a move I learnt from bots, likewise 34 not being slow but good.

Post #7 Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:35 am 
Honinbo

Uberdude wrote:
The play is obviously stronger than any of the KGS ranks next to his name.

Right. We have a sandbagger, to be sure. But an AI aided sandbagger? Quien sabe?

Quote:
I'd be tempted to atari at a10 before defending, but is that bad human atari love because a11 is also sente? If bot doesn't want to that's another point towards bot cheating, though of course strong humans can also resist ataris.

The sagari to a11 is superior. White's reply is the ugly connection at b9. Ugh! As for the protection, I did not learn the keima connection until I was 4 kyu.

But what about :b29:? That's a human looking move, isn't it? It induces White to make good shape at D-06, weakening the nearby Black stone at D-08. And what does Black gain? Isn't it better to leave D-06 as an option for Black?

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #8 Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:21 am 
Gosei

15-block Katago likes both: defend directly or atari first. Katago likes :b29:. In fact, most black moves are among Katago's suggestions, with a few exceptions like :b51:, :b53:, :b57: but there are no big mistakes.

This post by jlt was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #9 Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:23 am 
Honinbo

jlt wrote:
15-block Katago likes both: defend directly or atari first. Katago likes :b29:. In fact, most black moves are among Katago's suggestions, with a few exceptions like :b51:, :b53:, :b57: but there are no big mistakes.

Hmmmm. Recently didn't we find around 80% concordance between KataGo and LZ? A nearly 100% concordance is amazing.

Previously I have pointed out the weakness of confirmatory evidence, in this case, agreement between the human's play and the bot's choice. The evidence here is not that agreement, per se, but the difference between that rate of agreement and the rate of agreement between two top bots, or the rate of agreement between a top bot and a professional.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #10 Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 am 
Gosei

It depends what you mean by "considered". The hane :b47: is sixth in terms of policy, and loses 3.5% compared to B3, so it was "considered" by Katago only in a weak sense.

Post #11 Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:50 am 
Honinbo

jlt wrote:
It depends what you mean by "considered". The hane :b47: is sixth in terms of policy, and loses 3.5% compared to B3, so it was "considered" by Katago only in a weak sense.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

I brought up concordance (exact match between the game play and the bot's top choice) because it is something on which we have hard, if currently limited, evidence. But it should not be hard to gather, as far as professional play is concerned.

For instance, in the Elf commentaries all of Elf's top choices are tagged as tesuji, TE[1]. So you can just count how often that tag appeears in the game record, excluding variations, and compare with the number of plays. Take GoGoD 2018-05-28l, with Meng Tailing, 6 dan, (W) vs. Kang Tongyun, 9 dan. There were 269 plays, 116 of which were also Elf's top choice, for a concordance of 43.1%. It only took me a few minutes to get that number. OC, that is just one game, but IIRC the concordance rate between pros and top bots is around 50%.

Edit: Not that it is a good way to cheat, but apparently some people just do play the AI's top choice. If you are checking for that kind of cheating, you want to make it difficult to find a match, and then if you find a higher rate of matching than top humans have, you have some evidence.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #12 Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:03 pm 
Gosei

In game 1, Black chose Katago's top choice 37% of the time, so if Black is a high dan amateur player I don't see any evidence of cheating based solely on concordance with AI moves.

This post by jlt was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #13 Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:53 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Just 4 games is really unlikely to be enough to determine if a player was using an AI or not.
But why the question?

Post #14 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:56 pm 
Beginner

These responses are really disappointing and make me sad as hell. I'm no sure if you people are blind, complicit or just plain dumb.

Quote:
I don't see any evidence of cheating based solely on concordance with AI moves.
If you don't see any evidence, that's because you didn't bother to check.
Seriously, the moves are mostly (I'd say around 95%) LeelaZero suggestions. Do moves 103 to 109 in game 4 look normal? How about moves 244 to 252 in that same game? How about checking the moves against the LeelaZero that came with the previous version of Lizzie (you know, the one everyone has, the easiest to get)?

I don't care about punishing this person specifically, I honestly don't, we all make mistakes. What I do care about is how cheating is detected and handled, specially in tournaments where there's prizes. What really frustrates me is that this person is so blatant and obvious, and organizers (and apparently people in this forum) can't make up their minds. Check any pro game against LeelaZero and you see at least some divergence (I'd say at most 90%) and nobody plays the moves in exactly the same order.

I fear some people just checked parts of some of the games and once they saw a divergence in 1 or 2 moves, decided it was impossible to know for sure. This person was very blatant, and even after these games specifically were brought to the attention of organizers (and you guys), there's still doubt? How?

If it's this easy, I might as well start cheating in online tournaments. People are too easy to fool.

Post #15 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:09 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Sampi wrote:

If it's this easy, I might as well start cheating in online tournaments. People are too easy to fool.

With the various AI programs available today, I don't think it's hard to cheat. Given the strength of widely available AIs, I think we've crossed that bridge.

So you can probably go ahead and cheat and win a tournament without getting caught. But why? I guess if it's for prize money, there's some incentive there. But there're probably easier ways to make money.

Tournaments are fun for me because you can test your strength, and get the real pressure of playing a serious game where the other person is trying to win, too. I don't think I'd get that fun if I used AI, because I'd know that the person playing wasn't me.

Post #16 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:45 pm 
Gosei

@Sampi: you quoted me out of context. I just analyzed game 1 with KataGo and said that there is no evidence of cheating based solely on concordance with AI moves (I insist on the word "solely").

On the other hand, Antti Törmänen analyzed the game further and concluded that Black was probably a cheater. He did not just count the number of blue moves, but also noted that some surprising moves were considered by the AI, and that most of the game is high dan level while several moves are kyu mistakes.

I am ready to accept the verdict obtained after a thorough analysis by a skilled, experienced and impartial player like Antti.

And by the way, several months ago, I and other people showed Antti a game we found suspicious, and after the same kind of analysis he concluded there was probably no cheating, and we accepted his conclusion immediately.

Post #17 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:49 pm 
Beginner

Uberdude wrote:
Some games of the same player where he is known to not be using AI (eg before strong bots if he was same strength years ago, in person game records where more easily believed to have not been cheating) for comparison allow stronger conclusions.

I don't think it's necessary but if it will help you come to the obvious conclusion then here you go:

Both games are a few days after the games I already posted and it's unlikely the person cheated.

Post #18 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:44 pm 
Honinbo

Sampi wrote:
Uberdude wrote:

I don't think it's necessary but if it will help you come to the obvious conclusion then here you go:

If the conclusion is obvious, why did you ask the question?

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: dfan

Post #19 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:03 pm 
Judan

Sampi wrote:
These responses are really disappointing and make me sad as hell. I'm no sure if you people are blind, complicit or just plain dumb.

For clarity, do you include my responses in this?

Uberdude wrote:
The play is obviously stronger than any of the KGS ranks next to his name. Without checking vs AI, I'd say first game he hit all the opening points AI likes, which a mid-dan player like myself who has trained with AI can identify, though the chance of getting a dozen such decisions right in a row diminishes. I'd be tempted to atari at a10 before defending, but is that bad human atari love because a11 is also sente? If bot doesn't want to that's another point towards bot cheating, though of course strong humans can also resist ataris.

More information about the account also helps. If it's a new account for a KGS+ tournament that could plausibly be a strong Chinese amateur, who happened to have a ddk ? rank because he misunderstood automatch or timed out his first game then I'm less likely to think it's cheating than if it's an established stable ddk KGS user with hundreds of games.

Also, differential analysis with multiple bots is very useful, as I and Bill have said previously. If a player gets 80% of some matching metric with LZ v157, 83% with Elf, 73% with LZ 240, 84% with KataGo it's more plausible they are a really strong human player than if they get 95% with LZ v157, 60% with Elf, 64% with LZ 240, 72% with KataGo. A high match with the default network with Lizzie is even more useful information.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #20 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:43 pm 
Honinbo

Sampi wrote:

Has it crossed your mind that maybe we are smarter than you?

Quote:
jlt wrote:
I don't see any evidence of cheating based solely on concordance with AI moves.
If you don't see any evidence, that's because you didn't bother to check.

If you say that, it's because you didn't bother to read jlt's note. Of course he checked. Are you calling him a liar?

Quote:
What I do care about is how cheating is detected and handled, specially in tournaments where there's prizes. What really frustrates me is that this person is so blatant and obvious, and organizers (and apparently people in this forum) can't make up their minds.

You don't care enough about it to avoid jumping to conclusions yourself. Is that how you want tournament organizers to act?

I am afraid, from your remarks, that you did not ask your question honestly. Perhaps you were looking for agreement to bolster your own conclusions, and willing to dismiss out of hand people who disagree with you. Frankly, your question was deceptive. It wasn't really a question. Some people might call that cheating. What do you think? That's a real question, BTW.

Visualize whirled peas.