It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Based on these 4 games, was GonJinn using AI?
Yes, I'm sure. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but I'm not sure. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know. 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
No, but I'm not sure. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, I'm sure. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Re: Can you determine the use of AI based on 4 games?
Post #21 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:42 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 10
@Uberdude @Bill Spight @jlt
Hey guys I'm sorry if what I said was insulting, I'm just frustrated by the lack of action. The cheating does seem obvious to me (and I thought it was to everybody else) so I was surprised when nobody voted on the poll and nobody plain out called the cheater out (which is what I would've done).
I understand this is a public forum and you guys have no obligation to check the games or even offer a verdict. Again, I want to apologize, I'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the situation. You're not dumb at all, in fact I should thank you for your help.

This post by Sampi was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, dfan, MikeKyle

Post #22 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:45 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 10
Bill Spight wrote:
I am afraid, from your remarks, that you did not ask your question honestly. Perhaps you were looking for agreement to bolster your own conclusions, and willing to dismiss out of hand people who disagree with you. Frankly, your question was deceptive. It wasn't really a question. Some people might call that cheating. What do you think? That's a real question, BTW.

That is exactly right. I was just looking for agreement. I didn't mean to make my question deceptive, I was trying to sound as neutral as possible.

Post #23 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:51 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Dear Sampi,

Thank your for your prompt and conciliatory reply. I sympathize with your frustration. And I believe that you did not have any deceptive intent when you posed your question.

Most people do not realize how weak confirmatory evidence is. I did not realize it myself until I did some research into the Hempel's Raven paradox some 30 years ago. The hypothesis that all ravens are black is logically equivalent to the hypothesis that everything is either black or not a raven. Thus, any observation of something black or something that is not a raven is confirmatory evidence for that hypothesis. The idea that observing a brown cow or black ink is evidence that all ravens are black seems preposterous. But that's the point. It is confirmatory evidence for that proposition, but it is so weak that we do not consider it evidence at all. What we need to do is to look for disconfirmatory evidence.

That's why we need other evidence than the fact that moves in a game record match some choices by a bot. Matching evidence is confirmatory, and therefore weak. What we need in addition is evidence that is not confirmatory. For instance, if top pros match bots' choices only up to 60% of the time, and usually less, then a matching rate significantly higher than 60% requires explanation. It is the difference between how often the player matches the bot's plays and how often the pros match the bot's plays that provides the disconfirmatory evidence that we need. But, as I said, evidence outside the player's game records is required to reach a conclusion.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 2 people: gennan, Sampi

Post #24 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:36 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
Uberdude wrote:
More information about the account also helps. If it's a new account for a KGS+ tournament that could plausibly be a strong Chinese amateur, who happened to have a ddk ? rank because he misunderstood automatch or timed out his first game then I'm less likely to think it's cheating than if it's an established stable ddk KGS user with hundreds of games.

The KGS account only has 1 rated game and 5 unrated, so I initially thought that maybe he was a high dan sandbagger. I hadn't checked on OGS, where there is a 3-4 kyu account with the same nickname. Both users on KGS and OGS speak spanish so they are probably the same. So with that additional information, I am now much more inclined to think that he used an AI in his KGS games.

This post by jlt was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #25 Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:09 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 270
Was liked: 147
Universal go server handle: gennan
Sampi wrote:
I'm just frustrated by the lack of action. The cheating does seem obvious to me (and I thought it was to everybody else) so I was surprised when nobody voted on the poll and nobody plain out called the cheater out (which is what I would've done).

I saw this topic, but I didn't look into those games, because just checking some games doesn't mean much for the more general issue of cheating IMO. A lot was already discussed in the related topic https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17528. We could repeat the issues discussed in that other thread, but I didn't see the point of doing that.

The OP of that other thread seems to have abandoned it. I got the impression he also got frustrated by the lack of agreement (more than you).
But it's not that we don't want to do anything about it. Rather, when you're going to build a real policy with sanctions, it's important to use tested and objective methods that get it right in edge cases. For developing such methods, much more work is needed than checking some individual cases.

Another thing, we here are not policy makers for go servers or go associations (are we?). So any agreement or disagreement you find here is not going to have much effect on anything. Discussing it here is more like a litmus test for when you're going to build your case to the real policy makers (assuming that is your intention).

This post by gennan was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #26 Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:52 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 48
KGS: LordVader
There are several small things we could do, to make it more difficult to cheat.
However, there is no guarentee that all ways of cheating can be stopped.

When a user constantly switches between applications, that's suspicious.
e.g. go clients should perhaps offer some transparency about the minimizing/maximizing of windows.
(Even for web clients, there is a visibilityChange event which could be used).

It guarentees nothing, but at least, it makes it more difficult for cheaters.
They would need at least 2 devices to succeed.

This post by spook was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #27 Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
Except that you really don't need to maximize/minimize windows to have the bot and your game on the same window :

Attachment:
SplitScreen.jpg
SplitScreen.jpg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 4437 times ]

Post #28 Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:50 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
gennan wrote:
The OP of that other thread seems to have abandoned it.

I didn't abandon it, just had nothing to add to the latest posts.
Quote:
Another thing, we here are not policy makers for go servers or go associations (are we?). So any agreement or disagreement you find here is not going to have much effect on anything. Discussing it here is more like a litmus test for when you're going to build your case to the real policy makers (assuming that is your intention).

That's very much not true. For example I am involved in policy making on KGS and what I read has some influence on me. And I can tell you that the other thread was also read by the top management of KGS. So each of the posts have an impact. Or to give another example when playing or just observing some games one might notice AI cheating and has a choice to either report it or not get involved. In the end the playing environment is created by each of us. One can write ten philosophical posts about it with no conclusion because everything is relative and how do we know what is the nature of truth and who is right? Or one can write to the administration of his favorite server requesting more action against AI cheaters. If the community feels strongly and more importantly acts against AI cheating then things will happen. Otherwise very few things will happen, just like now.

Post #29 Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:23 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I'm the player on the 1st game, first of all I'd like to thank Antti for graciously analyzing the game in detail.

I'll just give more background information on the game. This game was played between me vogalinha (Alexandre Amaro) strong 6d/weak 7d on fox and a self-claimed 5k for the Latin America vs China qualifiers.

The game ended up a bit short as I felt very strongly that the opponent was using an AI, after messing up again in the last fight and even weakening my corner I was a bit annoyed so I just resigned.

Perhaps to give a bit more of a nudge in the "he's a cheater" direction, I'd like to point out that on game 4 there was a bit of a dispute in the chat as he thought the position on the bottom right corner was seki. Now tell me, how can someone who plays as in game 1 not now basic life and death shapes?

Based on that I'm nearly sure that he was using AI. You could argue that maybe he's really strong at the opening as he plays with the AI a lot, I find this to be hard to believe, but who knows.