It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game commentaries in the age of AI
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:15 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 176
GD Posts: 1072
I have been reading some of John Fairbairn's latest works, and I am struck by the difference from the game commentaries of old (Go World). I'm curious whether the style of game commentaries in modern Asian publications has changed with the advent of AI players accessible to the masses? Do they still focus on a few variation diagrams with specific tesuji or opening variations, or have they started focussing on more abstract concepts that are more difficult to pin down in the AI?

Post subject: Re: Game commentaries in the age of AI
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:17 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 134
Was liked: 23
Certainly some of the amateur commentaries I've seen recently have been a lot less fun - basically treating AI as the 'oracle', and assessing how each player accorded with or deviated from AI play.

These commentaries may have gained in accuracy, but have lost a lot in entertainment value. I miss the discussion of different viable ideas and different styles.

Post subject: Re: Game commentaries in the age of AI
Post #3 Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:59 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
I don't read Japanese but I do have a copy of the Nihon Kiin's monthly Go World, NHK's (Japan Broadcasting Corporation) Go Lecture, and the Google Translate app. Identifying discussion of AI is easy enough because Japanese text uses "AI" for AI. Until someone with more experience steps in, I'll give you my limited experience.

Has the style of game commentaries in modern Asian publications has changed with the advent of AI players accessible to the masses?
I do not believe that the style of the commentaries has changed. It is still the same style. AI is of course mentioned, especially when explaining modern joseki and fuseki, and AI is used to confirm the relative winning positions, but I have not seen any articles solely focused on AI percentages move by move or AI generated variations. I'm sure articles in this style exists, but I have not seen them,

Do they still focus on a few variation diagrams with specific tesuji or opening variations?
Yes. There are a few variation diagrams, but usually tesuji is shown with letters in the main figure. Alternative opening moves are also shown with letters.

Have they started focusing on more abstract concepts that are more difficult to pin down in the AI?
I don't know what difficult to pin down abstract concepts you are thinking of, but I believe the answer is no.

----------
Maybe a bad example given the instructor's nature, but Shibano Toramaru gives a presentation on the Chinese fuseki and mini-Chinese in an article titled "Joseki Fuseki." He mentions AI several times (eg it was once thought to be strong but no longer after AI) but the explanations given are real examples on the board with variation diagrams. I could be mistaken but I did not see any winning percentages or "abstract concepts" mentioned. Though I have only skimmed it.