All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trying to Modernize Sensei's Library
Post #21 Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:01 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 6
OGS: yuzukitea
I wrote this page: 4-4 Point Traditional Slide Joseki, 2-8 Invasion

I have mixed feelings about how AI joseki should be presented. I agree with others that it's not very helpful to present an AI score of a joseki played out on an empty board (or even an invented arbitrary board position), and it can produce a misleading understanding about what AI thinks about a certain variation.

I think it's definitely better to assess positions in professional games with AI. I've been doing this with a few professional games with every variation, and I feel like I'm fairly comfortable with saying "AI doesn't like this traditional variation" in a hand-wavy sense (i.e. AI views the extend joseki linked above as -1 points in the context of the professional games I checked), but I wouldn't really feel comfortable throwing a number onto it without being able to do statistics running many more professional games through AI.

Even then, I don't really consider myself authoritative enough to say that "X joseki is bad". There's sort of a catch 22 of professionals no longer play this joseki ever since 2016 (so there's no hits in Waltheri after 2016), but at the same time I don't have a documented source from any professional saying that "X joseki is bad" or explaining why "X joseki is bad". It's ultimately just inference and guesswork based on the lack of any professional play.

Meanwhile there are strong amateurs like Badukdoctor saying the extend variation is "good" and there's likely a great number of older joseki books still saying that the extend is "good".

I just don't think I'm qualified enough to provide a good personal opinion, so the best I can do is present both.

Post #22 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:26 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 24
DGS: bugcat
I wonder whether anyone would like to help update Sumire's article, which hasn't been edited since May 2019.

https://senseis.xmp.net/?NakamuraSumire
https://senseis.xmp.net/?topic=11193 (discussion of updating)

And also Joanne Missingham's, which hasn't had a content update since 2012, apart from noting her 2015 rank up to 7p.

https://senseis.xmp.net/?JoanneMissingham
https://senseis.xmp.net/?topic=11206 (discussion of updating)

Post #23 Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:28 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 24
DGS: bugcat
If anyone would like to start articles on the Yunguseng Dojang or AwesomeBaduk, that'd be appreciated.

We already have a short one on the Nordic Go Dojo and now a longer one on the Osaka Go School.

No-one has yet come forward to help update the Sumire or Joanne Missingham articles.

Post #24 Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:32 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
bugcat wrote:
If anyone would like to start articles on the Yunguseng Dojang or AwesomeBaduk, that'd be appreciated.
naruto senki
We already have a short one on the Nordic Go Dojo and now a longer one on the Osaka Go School.

No-one has yet come forward to help update the Sumire or Joanne Missingham articles.

Is it applicable to all users? or users with a specific number of posts or age?