It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you teach someone who won't play with other beginners
Post #1 Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:24 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
I'm a KGS 2k and EGF 4k. I got into Go with my cousin. We both were beginners and had several 9x9 games weekly. When I started winning consistently he gave up, but then I was already strong enough to take the leap to KGS. And I feel like this is the best way to start with Go, because every time one of us improved it usually showed in more wins for him. There was always the incentive to study more to get an edge the next time we'd meet.

So far I've already met several people that have shown shown enough interest in Go that they were willing to play 9x9 with me. But they either don't have enough interest or enough confidence to actively search out other beginners (online or in real life) and play against them. I would like to do my part in spreading Go, so I wouldn't mind playing with them. But usually we play on one or two different occasions, then their interest fades. Also I feel like if they only play against me they won't see any progress in their game results. So making progress isn't very rewarding for them. Why bother making better moves if you still lose.

Maybe it is my teaching method ? I've tried several styles. I've tried only explaining basics rules as to not overwhelm and play against them. But then my opponents seem very lost. I've also tried explaining the concept of eyes before or during the game, then I usually get the reply: "Oh that is quite complicated". And I am always making sure not to kill the whole board. Another thing that I have done is stepping in when they seem too lost and giving them some sort of advice for the next move, but then it quickly becomes a game against myself. Should I go as far as losing on purpose ? I haven't done that yet.

My most recent idea would be that I create an online account with them and we play some weird form of Rengo. Where I make every x move, so it would be easier for the beginner to see progress. And it would be more of a cooperative experience than a competitive one.

Is there any point in playing with these "mildly interested" people ? Or do you see a better way to increase their interest ?

Post subject: Re: How do you teach someone who won't play with other begin
Post #2 Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:40 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Different players have different degrees of motivation. Some simply can't be motivated when they lose too much. Others can be motivated by just one sentence at a critical moment, such as when Black proclaimed to quit go if also losing the H9 blitz game in flexible handicaps, lost but stayed when I said: "Now, I hope that you do not quit go now!" Surely, there can be every degree of necessary motivation in between, although not everybody can be motivated by increasing the handicap.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 270
Was liked: 147
Universal go server handle: gennan
Only a small percentage of people who learn the rules are interested enough to make an effort to improve.
If they aren't really interested and they don't enjoy playing go all that much, I think there's not much you can do.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink"

So your time and effort may be better spent elsewhere.

This post by gennan was liked by 2 people: Galation, goTony

Post #4 Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:40 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Quote:
Also I feel like if they only play against me they won't see any progress in their game results. So making progress isn't very rewarding for them. Why bother making better moves if you still lose.

They won't always lose if you give handicap (and resist the temptation to overplay).

Post #5 Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:27 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
Thofte wrote:
So far I've already met several people that have shown shown enough interest in Go that they were willing to play 9x9 with me...Is there any point in playing with these "mildly interested" people ? Or do you see a better way to increase their interest ?
Most players of most games are there to enjoy passing the time with a friend, not to study the best strategy to win. If they want to learn they will ask.

If you want to sell someone on Go as something to spend much more time on, I think articles or videos on Go would be the best bet, not teaching games. For someone completely unaware, I like this review of Go by expert board game reviewers (though novice at Go): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRBjN8empIs

For someone like your friends who have played Go but are not inclined to want to study it, maybe the Alpha Go documentary would encourage them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXuK6gekU1Y

If not. No big deal. There are many games and hobbies in the world.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:39 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
@jlt That is a good idea. I'll try handicap the next time. I'm a little worried though that the fact of giving handicap alone might already discourage some people. But I'll try it!

Post #7 Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:53 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
It can be difficult find any way to encourage people to play games regularly or really take up Go as an active hobby. In my experience there are a lot more people who will read about Go, fantasize about being very good or even buy (or build) playing equipment then there are people who have a self-sustained ambition to play regularly.

I think just mild encouragements to play on their own (that almost always means online unless there are active clubs in the area) and organizing occasional gettogethers or any activities that involves playing is the best approach. Try to get the people that do show up for any activity to play games among themselves. Try to encourage people to play games during any get together, rather than wandering off in conversations or other any activity.

People also have success in offering free lessons, people like it when other people are generous and it can be useful to introduce different beginners to each other. Most people won't have time for this more involved approach.

You could also try to organize a club if there isn't one in your area. This in no way backbreaking work, but it can be heartbreaking if you go through a lull of activity. In the long term it is a nucleuses for a community that is welcoming to beginners that mostly just dapple in the game (which is completely fine). If there is a club in your area you can introduce people to it and encourage them to go there together even if it might be far away or otherwise inconvenient to go there every single time.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
I agree with above you cant force an interest for people. You can share your excitement and enjoyment. Sometimes that rubs off. Starting a club is a great option.

On a practical note. I sometimes use capture GO as a start and once they have had some fun, we start on a 5x5. All the rules come into play, counting etc. And it is not as overwhelming as a 9x9.

I try not to explain too much but just let them try things and have a chance to have fun. If they are having trouble, I will tell them that some of my moves may be suboptimal. So they get a feel of attacking, and being in control. I do find once they understand the rules most peoplw want to play someone there own strength. It is just more fun. :)

Best wishes!

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Post #9 Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:40 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
You may want to read https://senseis.xmp.net/?DieterVerhofst ... xperiences, a sort of (abandoned) blog I kept over those many years I've been introducing or teaching Go.

In the meta-field of learning, two quotes will always stick out to me:

Sting, on teaching: "There is no teaching, there is only learning"
Bill Spight, on learning: "Above all, study what you like"

Sting's quote is provokative but it's shorthand for the horse drinking proverb. What it fails to transmit is that a teacher can inspire but still it's the student's choice whether they want to be inspired by the teacher, if at all. Bill's quote is just fabulous and has often reminded me that motivation is key, rather than some sort of "ideal path".

So the best you can do in order to maximize your collective pupils'motivation, is to expose them to as many resources as you have, which may tickle them enough to continue. Teaching games, forming a club, rivalries with other beginners, Hikaru No Go, AlphaGo ... all while staying true to who you are and often reminding yourself of the above quotes.