All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What I talk about when I talk about Go population pyramids
Post #1 Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:49 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
https://go4go.net/go/node/128798

Time for a Change! would also be an appropriate title for this. The first civility. I have absolutely no interest in increasing the go population until we are as civilised as the swiss political system AND we develop a reputation for it. It might not cause any short-term growth, but will if at least not cause long term growth prevent long-term decline, because, like the Japanese go tournament scene, it's built on firm foundations. In addition, it's astonishingly shortsighted in my perception to not essentially prioritise Women's(near's) go, specifically Mum's go, if one is interested at all in increasing the player base consistently over time. After I learned that one of the main reason why Korea surpassed Japan and for ten years was stronger Beijing-controlled China, a country with 3 times the population and with government interest in it--well, mothers being interested in baduk because they believed it will make their children smarter is over 30 times more powerful than the political efforts of an authoritarian government (of course in Korea gaining a competitive advantage such as this would be seen as something to do; in Beijing-controlled China they may lean towards external competitive advantages a tiny bit more and so not see increasing their child's intelligence, but the effective difference is minor enough that my point still applies). I thought, and you would think, that every go population on earth would be doing nothing but promoting baduk in Mum's groups and finding ways to make the go environment easier for Mum's, since in even modern societies it's still the norm overall for mums overall to spend more time with the child. If want to improve youth Go, you improve mum participation, and if you want to ha strong pros, you have to improve Youth go. So--EGF--AGA wannabe pro go organisations in general, I would expect at least 25%* of go resources, money, and effort be directed *specifically* to Mum's go. And then another 12.5 percent for Womens' Go in Generals and then 12.5% for youth go. So 50% in securing the future of Go. Focusing on long-term player-base growth, the only player-base growth one should be concerned about, something I whished dan-levels players would understand applies not just on the go board. And of-course long-term player base growth is based on the quality of the the current player base and environment. It doesn't make sense and for, approaching now ten years? I've never understood why this is the case. Out of politeness in my second.. Perhaps it's because people want things to be exactly as they are familiar with, without change. Which is . . . Fine, I guess? But you can forget about growing that field. John Fairbairn noted certain basic ways to start this (as a wimpy masculinity-deficient mild germaphobe these are also very important for me. Just Saying! :cool: enough cringey western-society individualism for now from me :lol:), and in general is a better expert than me on this. Japan has reached China's level and I won't be surprised if they surpass Korea, because Women's go is being taken more seriously in Japan.

Also, I split infinitives. Yeah. Though that's just about the toughest thing about me, haha.

It may seem strange that promoting go among your gran's knitting group is a more effective way to increase the bottom of the go population pyramid then seeking out actual youth (although I guess they say with right attitude even an old person in years can stay young in spirit, I hope I'm that if I get old :)), but I guess it is!

*I don't like using percentages when you could just say 25/100. Hmph.