It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obituary for Radek Nechanicky
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:20 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
The Czech Go Association published an obituary for Radek : https://goweb.cz/2022/06/vzpominka-na-r ... hanickeho/

Post subject: Re: Obituary for Radek Nechanicky
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:37 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Google Translate to English does a good job.

I saw Radek Nechanicky then 5d to 6d at various European tournaments in the 1990s and 2000s. I won my first game against him 5d in the EGC 1996 due to tactical reading but, according to the rating database, lost my other five games when he was 6d. His playing style emphasised tactical fighting.

His old father Vitezslav 4d, later 2d had the playing style of a hustler, who would never resign. After one of his games, he remarked: "One liberty - and all would have been dead!" Education of his son was a bit old-fashioned and rough and gave rise to the following incident: Radek's loss of an important game in a Grand-Prix tournament in Hamburg resulted in a resounding slap.

For Czech players, currency exchange rates made it hard for them to travel to Western European countries. Therefore, they would minimise travel costs by, e.g., bringing basic food with them and cooking by themselves. During the EGC 1990 in Vienna, the accommodation closed early but Vitezslav acted as door-keeper at night thereby earning himself some travel compensation.