All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go Accent
Post #1 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:47 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
That passive listening doesn't affect one's accent seems to be the case. They have to appear to be in communication with that accent to acquire it. So it might make one wonder if replaying professional games compared to playing games against professionals is somewhat similar?

Post subject: Re: Go Accent
Post #2 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:22 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
I'd compare playing games with having conversations and replaying games with repeating conversations by other people.

This post by jlt was liked by: Elom0

Post #3 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:54 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
Not really sure where this came from or where it is going but I agree that replaying Pro games (alone without commentary) is like "shadowing / shadow practice" in language learning. I'm sure that repeating after native speakers is important in every language but I know people like doing this with Japanese because it improves their pitch and cadence.

And I agree that simply spectating is not really a way to acquire knowledge. It's only when I play on a board and think about the position that I get an understanding of what is happening. I'm far from strong enough to follow title matches without the commentary. Though even being able to follow the commentary is an achievement.

==========

So I agree about Go. But what about language? Have you all heard of the American kid that speaks in a British accent from watching too much Peppa Pig? Surely he repeats the words as most kids do (and it shows him in this video). I can't find the one I remember but here is another video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmbzg2nhxDM

This post by CDavis7M was liked by: Elom0

Post #4 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:49 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
CDavis7M wrote:
Not really sure where this came from or where it is going but I agree that replaying Pro games (alone without commentary) is like "shadowing / shadow practice" in language learning. I'm sure that repeating after native speakers is important in every language but I know people like doing this with Japanese because it improves their pitch and cadence.

And I agree that simply spectating is not really a way to acquire knowledge. It's only when I play on a board and think about the position that I get an understanding of what is happening. I'm far from strong enough to follow title matches without the commentary. Though even being able to follow the commentary is an achievement.

==========

So I agree about Go. But what about language? Have you all heard of the American kid that speaks in a British accent from watching too much Peppa Pig? Surely he repeats the words as most kids do (and it shows him in this video). I can't find the one I remember but here is another video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmbzg2nhxDM

Yes, but those are children and they can learn passively better and probably are more likely to naturally imitate. At about 9 years of age from fertilisation the ability to learn perfect pitch passively disappears, and along with it the ability to gain languages and accents!