It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WAGC 2022
Post #1 Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:50 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
The world amateur is held online this year, I think the games are going to be on Fox.
Does anyone know if there is a website with a link to contestants and current results?

This post by Javaness2 was liked by: Elom0

Post subject: Re: WAGC 2022
Post #2 Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:39 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
Maybe there is a website or there will be a website. The registration form was a website and it isn't unbelievable that the tournament bracket is available online. Failing that, it is possible there was a website that is not there anymore or there will be one but it will only be there for a brief time.

I am only half joking.

I know there was a game between Poland and Canada which means it definitely started.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:15 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
http://wywf.cweiqi.net/#/home/list?id=118&name=WAGC

I haven't checked the content of all the links, but seems to be working.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:05 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
The lowest link, 第42届世界业余围棋锦标赛-棋手信息, on the front page, gives the list of players. Maybe noteworthy is that Young-Woon Park, known on line as Baduk Doctor, is playing representing Hong Kong.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:11 am 
Lives in sente

If you glean carefully you can glean that the language of the site is changed using the "中文/EN" link in the top right corner.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:50 am 
Gosei

I see that Matt Burrall has cut his hair. No wonder the world seems monumentally fricked up.
It's nice to see an entry from Georgia though, I don't recall seeing them taking part before.
Whenever the event is scheduled online, I have the impression that eventually it must make things pretty unworkable for anyone who is neither unemployed nor a student.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:09 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
(Some? All?) games are scheduled in the middle of the night for Europeans. That's pretty unworkable for most people.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:30 am 
Lives in sente

jlt wrote:
(Some? All?) games are scheduled in the middle of the night for Europeans. That's pretty unworkable for most people.

I was told by the organizers that the players were to negotiate the time day for the games among themselves. It would be interesting to hear how this is organized.

Btw sometimes the players in such events are not located in the expected time zones and what may seem unfavorable can be unexpectedly convenient too, for example some may be able to do a full day at their job after playing very early in the morning but not if the play late into the night.

Javaness2 wrote:
Whenever the event is scheduled online, I have the impression that eventually it must make things pretty unworkable for anyone who is neither unemployed nor a student.

Maybe, I think that very short notice and lack or late arrival of some crucial information also makes it harder to work around this problem.

Post #9 Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:09 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
I know that at least the game Austria-Italy of Round 1 took place at 2:30 am.

Post #10 Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:06 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
There are a few times to choose from, but all of them are at night or in the early afternoon for European players.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:51 am 
Gosei

As suspected, not all plain sailing. I saw one player had to withdraw, and one other player complain about scheduling.
I'm not sure that there is really an easy solution to implement, but it doesn't feel entirely fair to all the participants to have such a system. Maybe the IGF could have asked to have trusted referees in other countries to add additional time slots.

Post #12 Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:50 am 
Lives in sente

Javaness2 wrote:
As suspected, not all plain sailing. I saw one player had to withdraw, and one other player complain about scheduling.
I'm not sure that there is really an easy solution to implement, but it doesn't feel entirely fair to all the participants to have such a system. Maybe the IGF could have asked to have trusted referees in other countries to add additional time slots.

Did someone withdraw after the tournament began? It is not clear from that webpage that anyone did.

It is possible to organize a flexible online tournament but you need everyone to have flexibility, the players and the observers, not only the observers :) The organization of the online KPMCs was rather flexible and even had side events. The previous mixed online-offline WAGC had a time for the mixed games but I think I remember that there was flexibility with the online games.

This tournament isn't organized by the IGF. In the IGF the presidency is rotated every year and this seems to happen even if there is no AGM but this isn't much different from having AGM without any proper votes on anything important anyway. Typically the country with the presidency organizes the WAGC, unless it has been agreed to reschedule (i.e. allow a 4th country to hold it or to align with some big sports event taking place in one of the usual three). Now there is a Chinese presidency and they are organizing the WAGC tournament.

The invites were sent with a short notice, they were sent to Russia and Belarus, there wasn't a clear tournament schedule, and once it was clear neither of Russia and Belarus were registering it was only possible to extend the deadline for one day before the tournament start date. The combination of all of this is that it is the smallest WAGC since 1995 which had 44 players from 48 member countries, this year we have 45 from 77 member countries.

It is what it is.