It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Segoe in Europe queries
Post #1 Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
I am finishing off the draft of my Segoe book. A few extra details would be nice.

1. There was a famous incident when he visited Germany and Austria with Hashimoto. Hashimoto and Segoe both told different versions of this incident, and I have heard others from the European side. I also think Hashimoto may have conflated two separate incidents (one in Vienna one in Duesseldorf) involving cheating by European players and resolution of the problem by Hashimoto playing back simultaneous games from memory. I'd like to know what memories any Europeans may have of this.

2. In a separate case, a Peter Schnell is mentioned. I gather he declined to play in the European Championship in 1960, won by Guenther Ciessow. I'd like confirmation of the name Schnell (Snell?; a 3-dan in Darmstadt) and also of the reason why he did not take part.

3. When Segoe planned his visit, he proposed also visiting France, Italy, Netherlands, and England. Does anyone have any data on those destinations (John Tilley for England?). As regards France, I know they went to Paris but didn't realise, until they got there, that Paris empties for August (or still did then).

4. Any info on a Mr Sedlacik 2-dan, a mathematician

Post subject: Re: Segoe in Europe queries
Post #2 Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:17 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
John Fairbairn wrote:
4. Any info on a Mr Sedlacik 2-dan, a mathematician

Never heard of that person but after a little research

* I found several mathematicians named Sedláček. One of them, Jiří Sedláček, has 45 publications between 1956 and 1990 in the field of combinatorics.
* This website https://knihobot.sk/g/100042 shows that a person named Jiří Sedláček has translated the novel "First kyu" by Hong Sung-Hwa.
* Someone on the EGD named Jiri Sedlacek is about 3k since 1996: https://europeangodatabase.eu/EGD/Playe ... y=10262923.

I don't know if the three persons are the same, nor if they are the same as the one you are referring to. The first person mentioned above would be over 90 now, whereas the third person is 4 ranks lower than 2d and still quite active in go competitions so I have some doubts.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 270
Was liked: 147
Universal go server handle: gennan
John Fairbairn wrote:
3. When Segoe planned his visit, he proposed also visiting ...Netherlands,...

Are we talking around ~1960? I don't think many Dutch players who were active players back then are still alive now, other than Max Rebattu 5d (born in 1939).
Maybe Dutch go historian Theo Van Ees can search his extensive archives for the info you seek. You may already have his contact info. If not, you may contact the Leiden go-club for it: https://www.leidsegoclub.nl/contact/

This post by gennan was liked by: Theo van Ees

Post #4 Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:19 am 
Oza

Quote:
Are we talking around ~1960? I don't think many Dutch players who were active players back then are still alive now, other than Max Rebattu 5d (born in 1939).
Maybe Dutch go historian Theo Van Ees can search his extensive archives for the info you seek. You may already have his contact info.

Thank you. Yes, it would be 1961. Probably only Germans or Austrians could comment on the "incident" but we don't necessarily need to rely on still active players for the other queries. There may be indexes for national go journals that give details of any visits by Segoe, but I can't access these (if theu do exist) online through not being a member.

Yes, I know Theo and his works (and Franco Pratesi's). In fact, Theo provided one rather special cameo.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:21 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 65
John - John Barrs mentioned this to me as Segoe had visited him at his flat in London and Segoe had given Barrs a gift of a gold canister. Mrs Barrs had opened it and she thought it was tea so she made a pot and took it through. Segoe threw his head back and roared with laughter, flashing his gold teeth, it was seaweed.

I bumped into Segoe at the Takanawa building in 1969 in Japan and he asked how Mr Barrs was, obviously British Go had made an impact. Segoe did occasionally visit Iwamoto's Go salon on Sundays and I played in a ren-go with him in 1970.

I saw a reference to Segoe's visit, maybe in a British Go Journal. I think the date of the visit was 1961. This was before my time and probably Jon Diamond's. I think I saw something about coverage in the media. Let me do some digging.

Looking forward to the book.

Best Wishes - John

Post #6 Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:41 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 6
John Fairbairn wrote:
I am finishing off the draft of my Segoe book. A few extra details would be nice.
2. In a separate case, a Peter Schnell is mentioned. I gather he declined to play in the European Championship in 1960, won by Guenther Ciessow. I'd like confirmation of the name Schnell (Snell?; a 3-dan in Darmstadt) and also of the reason why he did not take part.

Maybe Guenther Ciessow (Günter Cießow) can help here, contact me, then I can connect you both.

Peter Schnell is written Peter Schnell and still alive https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sch ... formatiker)

I have no contact with him, but maybe his foundation can offer help https://www.sagst.de/

Greetings from Germany,

Wilhelm

https://www.badengo.org/kontakt/

Post #7 Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:50 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 65
https://www.britgo.org/history/earlyhist

will point you to an article in the British Go Journal 136 by Bob Hitchens which contains:

A significant “first” for British Go
occurred in 1961 when Kensaku Segoe
visited Britain. A match was arranged
at John’s flat for B.B.C. television, but
lack of space in the flat meant that the
camera had to be placed on scaffolding
outside to film through the windows!

I have no further information.

Best Wishes - John

Post #8 Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:30 am 
Oza

Thank you, John. Both your stories were useful. They did ring a faint bell with me but they would never have resurfaced without your help.

Thank you to others, too. I did also received some correspondence privately, and I think I now have what I need.

I should perhaps clear up a remark that has confused a few people. I referred to finishing off a "final draft." That's true enough, but it appears that it means different things to different people. In more detail, the situation is as follows.

I currently have about 200 pages of pure text in the large format I now use as standard (e.g. for Kamakura). That is close to complete (two or three days?) and that is what I mean by "final draft." Something I can print out and start proof-reading and maybe do some re-juggling.

But, apart from proof-reading, I have to add photos (a lot in this case) and prepare various appendixes and an index. Once they are in, there will probably be a lot of work with final formatting. Only then will I pass it on to a friend for outside proof-reading.

For a book of this size, those tasks will also take some time. Not sure how long.

The reason the book is so big is that it is subtitled "Life & Times." There a lot on the "times" (Segoe being more than a bit-part player in many events off the go board) and the anecdote-rich coverage ranges over Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea , Hawaii and Europe. There are no games. My plan is to produce a companion volume of commented games but that is even further down the road. However, all the many games mentioned in "Eminence grise: Life and Times of Segoe Kensaku" are in the GoGoD database (including a new sunjang baduk game by Segoe in which he plays like an AI bot). These games are referenced in the book, of course, so you can relive the games as you weave through the text.

Post #9 Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:01 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: 12
Tygem: 12
IGS: 12
Wbaduk: 12
DGS: 12
OGS: 12
Kaya handle: 12
Sorry I'm not on topic here.

Hello John,

I’m wondering if any of your go books on the history of go have accounts of daily interactions between go Masters and students in the 4 go houses in the 18-19th century.

Thanks,

Kent

This post by Blankpaint was liked by: Elom0

Post #10 Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:41 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
@Blankpaint: https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 55#p277255

This post by Gomoto was liked by: Elom0

Post #11 Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:10 pm 
Oza

Quote:
I’m wondering if any of your go books on the history of go have accounts of daily interactions between go Masters and students in the 4 go houses in the 18-19th century.

While I wouldn't use the term "daily interactions", I can say that very many of my writings (including those on shogi) have anecdotes that shine a light on the daily life and more of pupils in the traditional systems, and also in modern times. The Segoe book has a lot of new ones.

I haven't collected these in one place, but I will say that there isn't really a single system. And not all top pros had teachers.

This is not fake news. And For the record, Go Monthly Review ceased in 1977.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom0

Post #12 Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:07 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

While I wouldn't use the term "daily interactions", I can say that very many of my writings (including those on shogi) have anecdotes that shine a light on the daily life and more of pupils in the traditional systems, and also in modern times. The Segoe book has a lot of new ones.

I haven't collected these in one place, but I will say that there isn't really a single system. And not all top pros had teachers.

This is not fake news. And For the record, Go Monthly Review ceased in 1977.

So when Go weekly dies this September there'd be nothing from the Nihon Kiin?