It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What are you views on Go using an integer as komi?
Post #21 Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:52 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
In Swiss and McMahon tournaments, Pro-Rata Territory Scoring Fractional Komi should always be used up to the number of rounds there would be in a single elimination in the top group, and then all rounds after that should use area scoring with integer komi. In round robin the idea is consistent conditions for all games so it's not quite for round robin. However, in round robin you can do this: score each game with both Pro-Rata Territory Rules with Fractional Komi and area rules with integer komi, then sum the difference in score from both then divide by 2 to get the combined mean Territory-area score. It would basically be area scoring with territory points doubled and scored Pro-Rata, and then the overall score divided by two.

Post #22 Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:22 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Elom0 wrote:
Pro-Rata Territory Scoring Fractional Komi

What is Pro-Rata [...]?

Quote:
score each game with both Pro-Rata Territory Rules with Fractional Komi and area rules with integer komi, then sum the difference in score from both then divide by 2 to get the combined mean Territory-area score.

This is no good because strategy differs for different scoring methods.

Post #23 Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:35 pm 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
RobertJasiek wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

What is Pro-Rata [...]?

It means dame is counted as territory for each side proportional to the number of

Quote:
Quote:
score each game with both Pro-Rata Territory Rules with Fractional Komi and area rules with integer komi, then sum the difference in score from both then divide by 2 to get the combined mean Territory-area score.

This is no good because strategy differs for different scoring methods.

It's exactly because strategy differs for different scoring methods that it is indeed excellent. I'm surprised, I didn't think you'd be one to promote dumbing things down, I thought you'd appreciate it with something like "Combining scoring methods makes the endgame more dynamic and fair and if each player is used to one scoring method, neither player will have advantage", or something, haha!

Post #24 Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:22 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Elom0 wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

What is Pro-Rata [...]?

It means dame is counted as territory for each side proportional to the number of

Proportional to the number of what?

If it is just "dame counted as territory for each side" and you mean that each dame stone scores for its player, then this is similar to AGA Rules without the rule of a pass stone for White's game ending pass, therefore, I suppose, creates pass-fights and hence is not suitable for practical play. If you think that pass-fights do not occur, prove their non-existence!

Post #25 Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:25 am 
Lives in sente

RobertJasiek wrote:
Elom0 wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
What is Pro-Rata [...]?

Proportional to the number of what?

If it is just "dame counted as territory for each side" and you mean that each dame stone scores for its player, then this is similar to AGA Rules without the rule of a pass stone for White's game ending pass, therefore, I suppose, creates pass-fights and hence is not suitable for practical play. If you think that pass-fights do not occur, prove their non-existence!

Sorry, my bad, proportional to the number of each colours stones surrounding tge dame. For example, if there are 3 points dame surrounded by 3 black stones and 5 white stones, black gets 1+(1/8) points and white gets 2+(7/8) points.