It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you count?
Post #41 Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:18 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 33
I try to count as often as possible and I usually count during my opponents turn whenever possible. I would estimate that I count at least 15 times a game, more if the game is closer and less if the winner is already clear.

Counting is extremely important imo, you really need to know the overall position before you make an accurate plan. If you are ahead by ten points, why enter the insanely complex fight? But if the situation is reversed, then you should welcome all fights and try to make it as complicated as possible.

Counting is part of positional judgment, which is one of the most important skills for a go player. So, you all should really encourage yourself to count more =)

Post #42 Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 2
GD Posts: 27
When I visually estimate, I commonly make the mistake of seeing my territory as smaller than it ought to be, and seeing my opponent's territory as larger than it ought to be. This is why I count as much as I can.

Every time I visually estimate, I can hear Cho Chikun's quote from Positional Judgment – "Let's actually count the game and stop letting fancy rule our heads."

Post #43 Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:43 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 17
GD Posts: 396
When the game goes territorially, I try to count, with mistakes. I try too to evaluate how many points a short sequence gives (approximately) to me, or coasts to me. In the last case, I try to find another elsewhere that keeps the balance.

But most of the time, in my serious games (at my local club), my opponents play territorially and I find myself with walls everywhere and no territory, so I go for the fight, and I count only if we reach the endgame, then resign :)

This post by Tryphon was liked by: Stefany93

Post #44 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:25 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 21
KGS: Azumi93
Online playing schedule: When I am in a mood for Go :D
I can't count when my dog will born, so counting a go game is impossible for me :P

Post #45 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:36 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 259
I cant count my mobile phone number, but in go it goes suprisingly well...

Post #46 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:10 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
IGS: Exologist
Kaya handle: Exologist
Sure do. Although I can't do it in moderately fast paced games, cause it takes a little bit of time. Hehe, sometimes if I want to count and its fast-paced, I'll start counting and continue while moves are being played if my opponent is playing something definitely sente. If you're talking about endgame value, I count all the time for that.

Post #47 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:22 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Honinbo Jowa advised assessing the position (which includes counting, but is not the same) at move 30, move 50, and move 100. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #48 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
Those are rather arbitrary numbers, and the spacing is weird as well. I prefer to constantly be analyzing the overall position, but take a closer, more thorough look when there isn't a superactive area on the board. That way I can decide what I need to do from that point on.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #49 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:55 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
I count ... but I count very badly. For instance, I was just surprised in a recent game where I thought I had counted correctly and was down 15 at the end ... I won by 9.5 ...

Post #50 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:49 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
GD Posts: 42
KGS: Nikolas73
DGS: Nikolas73
DrStraw, I downloaded your counting lessons years ago and still look them up every now and then. They have been very helpful to me, thanks for doing that (can be found here for those who don't know: http://senseis.xmp.net/?SteveFawthrop%2FCounting ).

I (try to) count 4-10 times per game depending on time remaining and how close the score is (If I have a 20 or 30 point lead with 5 minutes remaining, I won't count as often as I would when behind 5 points with 15 minutes remaining).

When I really don't have time to count, I use a quick strategy I recall reading about either somewhere else on this forum (eh, maybe on KGS): comparing areas. For example, Black's top-right corner and White's bottom-right corner are about the same size, but White has a bigger area on the left side, therefore White is winning... and count more closely when I have time (opponent's turn usually).

This post by Nikolas73 was liked by: DrStraw

Post #51 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:53 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
Marcus wrote:
I count ... but I count very badly. For instance, I was just surprised in a recent game where I thought I had counted correctly and was down 15 at the end ... I won by 9.5 ...

When I first started counting, it always ended up like that. However, I found that with just a bit of experience that I quickly improved my accuracy. Hopefully you'll be able to too.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #52 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:13 pm 
Lives with ko

GD Posts: 42
KGS: Nikolas73
DGS: Nikolas73
Dusk Eagle wrote:
Marcus wrote:

When I first started counting, it always ended up like that. However, I found that with just a bit of experience that I quickly improved my accuracy. Hopefully you'll be able to too.

It feels very rewarding the first time you count that you are ahead by half a point, and shortly after win by that much :).

Post #53 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 70
Was liked: 8
KGS: Sujisan 12 kyu
OGS: Sujisan 13 kyu
I don't count. I should, though. My intuition seems to be hit and miss so I need something reliable.

Post #54 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:54 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Nikolas73 wrote:
It feels very rewarding the first time you count that you are ahead by half a point, and shortly after win by that much :).

I recall a recent game that was very close, and I really wanted to defend a position full of bad aji, but given how close it was, I was reluctant. So I counted (not for the first time), determined I was up by 2.5, played the gote safety move, and duly won by 1.5 points.

Post #55 Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:48 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 1
Well i pretty much never count. In the endgame i can pretty much count the territory everything pretty quickly but since i cant evaluate the value of the moves i cant see what i gain from it.

During more serious games i sometimes do some rough counting and alot of gutfeeling assesments in the middlegame.

Post #56 Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:18 am 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 24
Hmmm well I think my problem is that I start counting to late. When the game is almost finished or only 2-3 points-endgamemoves are available, it is to late to count, because you cant change the outcome anyways.

I need to count more in the middlegame and I need to let my counting-result slip in my judgement.

Post #57 Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:52 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 703
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
In Golden Opportunities by Rin Kaiho (which I recommend), he has this to say:

Quote:
Go is a contest over the size of territories. Therfore, at some stage - at least twice - it is necessary to assess the respective territories by counting them. As to when, you should count once in the middle game and once before starting the endgame. The first time it is sufficient to know something like "the game is close", or "I seem to be winning", or "I seem to be losing". The second time you should count rather more accurately.

The result will be that, if the game is close, you can aim at sente endgame plays; if you seem to be ahead, you can play solidly. And if you seem to be behind, there is only one answer: to play meltdown moves [shobute].

I try to do this, but I often forget to. Actually I usually only think to count when I see a shobute, and I want to decide if it's worth playing!

Post #58 Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:30 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 7
i only count in real life games (i usually have an ocean of time available to me, since i am a fast player, so at some point i usually count) or online when i think i am losing or have a chance at losing

Post #59 Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:01 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
GD Posts: 259
wossname wrote:
i only count in real life games (i usually have an ocean of time available to me, since i am a fast player, so at some point i usually count) or online when i think i am losing or have a chance at losing

How do you know you are losing if you do not count?

Post #60 Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:10 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 103
KGS: redundant/silchas
Tygem: redundant
Wbaduk: redundant
DGS: redundant
OGS: redundant
LovroKlc wrote:
wossname wrote:

How do you know you are losing if you do not count?

You don't need to count to have an estimate of the position.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next