It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Baduk.Pro the facebook of go!
Post #21 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Privacy on the internet is only what you make of it. You always assume anything you "share" on the internet is public, so act accordingly. I think that was palapiku's point and a very sound one at that. There is no privacy on the internet. There are very good reasons for keeping your online identity anonymous.

Post #22 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 36
Was liked: 63
KGS: Toge
My vocabulary isn't quite up to the task of explaining what's wrong in social media and privacy. I'm just saying that the issue looks very different from the point of view of someone who knows anything about security, than someone uninitiated who simply enjoys free service to keep in touch with friends.

Some posters already made the wise point that what you don't share cannot be misused against you. But Facebook is about sharing with everyone what you've been up to. It's quite easy to go with the flow. OwnName OwnFace breaks laws (racism/copyright), defames other people and makes fool of self. Vices like these are quite normal, but most people in the past share(d) them only with their trusted confidants. In poker terms the bet was still limited. Take this online and you're playing on limitless table against sharks you can't beat. It just pains me that there are 400 million people who are putting themselves in jeapardy, with most of them completely oblivious of the abuse possibilities.

Post #23 Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:23 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Toge wrote:
It just pains me that there are 400 million people who are putting themselves in jeapardy, with most of them completely oblivious of the abuse possibilities.

Agreed, but then we can always hope that natural selection incorporates such cultural mechanisms as part of its sorting routine. I'm too much of a traditionalist to give up on the notion of consequences - caveat emptor. Sometimes stupidity is painful.