It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Colleges Using Baduk Ranks for Determining Admissions
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:09 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
From the Jump Level Up! Vol. 4 is a section "Baduk Around the World." Regarding college education benefits from Baduk strength in China & Thailand it says:

Jump Level Up! Vol. 4, pp. 88-9 wrote:
China: Chinese students can use their Baduk strength to gain additional points on the entrance exams in ten of the top universites. 4 Dan players are awarded 50 points, and 6 Dan players get 100 points. Since 650 points is the highest score, Baduk players are highly recognized [Up to ~1/6th of the entrance exam score by virtue of Baduk abilities alone]. A department of Weiqi Studies was established at the Wuhan Sports University of China.

Thailand: In Thailand, players that are 3 Dan and stronger are accepted to six universities and get granted scholarships.

I found this interesting. I know there are plenty of scholarship and college fund opportunities available for chess players in the West, but I haven't heard of chess strength going so far as to wholly affect college admissions (though I am admittedly not much privy to the chess world). Also, it makes me curious as to how Western colleges might view this possibility were it proposed to the same extent that it has been implemented in these Eastern colleges. Do you think there's a chance for this to happen in any Western colleges in the coming years?

Post subject: Re: Colleges Using Baduk Ranks for Determining Admissions
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:18 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
You'll probably need a much bigger population of go players in the West before that happens.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:42 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 301
Was liked: 127
This also makes sense in the way that China might be compensating for all their insei who simply don't make it to pro. They've lost a whole lot of precious time along the way, and need all the help they can get to make it into a good university.

They must also realize that to be 6-dan, you just can't be a slacker. :mrgreen:

This post by Phoenix was liked by: speedchase

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:02 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 42
A few years ago, there was an interview with some Chinese professional. (I can't remember his name, or the name of the interviewer, though the latter may have been John Fairbairn.) Among other things, he was asked if he had any promising pupils. He said, yes, there was one who was likely to become a strong professional. But there was another, whom he thought would "only" pass the 1-dan exam, but could advance no further. (And so, he would not really be able to make a decent living as a go player, at least in China.)

The interviewer asked how the parents felt about this, and whether this was wasting the boy's time. The Chinese professional said that, yes, he had explained the situation to the boy's parents, and they understood and agreed with his opinion. But they were fine with this. According to them, if the boy had a professional shodan certificate, he could probably gain admission to any university in China, even the most elite and prestigious ones.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:31 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 180
It makes sense. Especially when considering a potential student who perhaps isn't going to reach top rank in go because lacking a single minded commitment to go, having other academic interests.

Reaching even the lowest pro level (or even the upper levels of amateur play) indicates both intelligence and ability to focus/study.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Is there much competition between University Go teams? Having strong players might be directly important to the Unis rather than just demonstrating the candidates value in an abstract sense.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:20 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 301
Was liked: 127
CnP wrote:
Is there much competition between University Go teams? Having strong players might be directly important to the Unis rather than just demonstrating the candidates value in an abstract sense.

Fair point. But I don't think universities would be allowed to use a certified pro in their team. :mrgreen:

Post #8 Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 41
KGS: KoDream
IGS: SmoothOper
logan wrote:
From the Jump Level Up! Vol. 4 is a section "Baduk Around the World." Regarding college education benefits from Baduk strength in China & Thailand it says:

Jump Level Up! Vol. 4, pp. 88-9 wrote:
China: Chinese students can use their Baduk strength to gain additional points on the entrance exams in ten of the top universites. 4 Dan players are awarded 50 points, and 6 Dan players get 100 points. Since 650 points is the highest score, Baduk players are highly recognized [Up to ~1/6th of the entrance exam score by virtue of Baduk abilities alone]. A department of Weiqi Studies was established at the Wuhan Sports University of China.

Thailand: In Thailand, players that are 3 Dan and stronger are accepted to six universities and get granted scholarships.

I found this interesting. I know there are plenty of scholarship and college fund opportunities available for chess players in the West, but I haven't heard of chess strength going so far as to wholly affect college admissions (though I am admittedly not much privy to the chess world). Also, it makes me curious as to how Western colleges might view this possibility were it proposed to the same extent that it has been implemented in these Eastern colleges. Do you think there's a chance for this to happen in any Western colleges in the coming years?

I don't think is just Go, but athletics and other disciplines maybe the arts. It makes sense that it is to compensate for the intensive training, endorsed by the society, that interferes with academics, however I also gather from my in-laws that it isn't all that much of a help. A big problem is that the admission process is so corrupt anyway.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:05 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Phoenix wrote:
CnP wrote:

Fair point. But I don't think universities would be allowed to use a certified pro in their team. :mrgreen:

I think Liu Yuanbo 2p aka MilanMilan played on his Beijing University team. (He was studying there and no longer an active pro).

Post #10 Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:17 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
I think the information about bonus points is outdated - I seem to recall that 5 dan is no longer sufficient.