It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Slow games
Post #21 Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 68
KGS: Unusedname
I was always worried I was playing too slow for always running out of time when I switched to KGS.
Your posts have inspired me to take even longer.

This post by Unusedname was liked by: konfuzed

Post #22 Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 98
Universal go server handle: Alguien
konfuzed wrote:
Turn-based feels too far on the other end of the spectrum with games taking months, "analysis paralysis", and no limits on how much of your day you can spend thinking.

I've played games in DGS that lasted two or three days total. Some people have their phones constantly connected to the server and just answer the moves as they pop up.

It's just a matter of finding some opponents on your time zone and that play fast.

What you ask, from my perspective, is much harder. You're asking for someone to dedicate to a game more than an hour of full, or close to full, attention. A lot of people simply don't have a lot of those per week.

Post #23 Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
Alguien wrote:
konfuzed wrote:
Turn-based feels too far on the other end of the spectrum with games taking months, "analysis paralysis", and no limits on how much of your day you can spend thinking.

I've played games in DGS that lasted two or three days total. Some people have their phones constantly connected to the server and just answer the moves as they pop up.

It's just a matter of finding some opponents on your time zone and that play fast.

What you ask, from my perspective, is much harder. You're asking for someone to dedicate to a game more than an hour of full, or close to full, attention. A lot of people simply don't have a lot of those per week.

So true, that's why I personally only play on weekends and study during the week.

Post #24 Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 91
Was liked: 254
If you want to play slow games but do not like correspondence go, then joining a league might guarantee slow games.

If I remember correctly both the ASR and CGA leagues have games with 45 minutes of main time plus byo-yomi. There may be others.

Post #25 Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:25 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 8
Thanks for all the help. Still working through your proposed solutions; just lost another game I was winning by 100+ points by time.

It's kind of a compound issue for me because my campus internet connection creates huge lag at random on my moves. That means I hit byo-yomi faster and lose at random when I get there. Before I got my cell phone with a 3g connection my account was at 12k and falling just from the time issues. It's frustrating because I only get to actually play once or twice a week, and the games are typically decided by obvious blunders or lag-based timeouts so it's hard to improve; it almost feels like the board state is irrelevant.

The KGS app for my cell phone doesn't have the lag issue but it's not a great connection and doesn't allow for anything other than blitz-medium automatch as far as I can tell. I tried IGS but couldn't find a way to rejoin the game after a disconnect and lost that way. I guess either trying to adapt to medium games on my cell phone ( I did manage to get back from 12k-6k that way at one point) or trying to find longer custom games on my PC KGS and coping with the move lag might be my best bet. Too bad there isn't a "slow" option for KGS automatch.

Post #26 Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:30 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
konfuzed wrote:
Thanks for all the help. Still working through your proposed solutions; just lost another game I was winning by 100+ points by time.

It's kind of a compound issue for me because my campus internet connection creates huge lag at random on my moves. That means I hit byo-yomi faster and lose at random when I get there. Before I got my cell phone with a 3g connection my account was at 12k and falling just from the time issues. It's frustrating because I only get to actually play once or twice a week, and the games are typically decided by obvious blunders or lag-based timeouts so it's hard to improve; it almost feels like the board state is irrelevant.

The KGS app for my cell phone doesn't have the lag issue but it's not a great connection and doesn't allow for anything other than blitz-medium automatch as far as I can tell. I tried IGS but couldn't find a way to rejoin the game after a disconnect and lost that way. I guess either trying to adapt to medium games on my cell phone ( I did manage to get back from 12k-6k that way at one point) or trying to find longer custom games on my PC KGS and coping with the move lag might be my best bet. Too bad there isn't a "slow" option for KGS automatch.

Actually, the KGS app allows for "Medium" and "Fast" which are the slower two of the three automatch settings (the third is "Blitz" which is even faster than fast.) If you want a slower game, you can challenge someone who posts a custom game offer to the open list via your phone app. Under "New game" hit the "Open" tab at the top.

This post by Mef was liked by: Phelan

Post #27 Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:33 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 41
I guess there's no club at your university or nearby? We rarely play with time limits in Dublin (unless it's a tournament game, or the barman has just called last orders) and most people can still get in a couple of games in an evening. If you've made the effort to go somewhere to play, you've already made the time commitment so there's no stress about taking the time to play the best you can.

Same applies to tournaments but obviously they're more of an occasional pleasure for most of us.

Edit: sorry, I see now you were specifically looking for online venues for games with longer time limits and that the clubs you've been to favour fast games. As you were, then.

Post #28 Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:01 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 68
KGS: Unusedname
rottenhat wrote:
I guess there's no club at your university or nearby? We rarely play with time limits in Dublin (unless it's a tournament game, or the barman has just called last orders) and most people can still get in a couple of games in an evening. If you've made the effort to go somewhere to play, you've already made the time commitment so there's no stress about taking the time to play the best you can.

Same applies to tournaments but obviously they're more of an occasional pleasure for most of us.

Edit: sorry, I see now you were specifically looking for online venues for games with longer time limits and that the clubs you've been to favour fast games. As you were, then.

Omg people play go in bars?

Why can't this be my life.

Please tell me more of this wonderful fairytale land.

Post #29 Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:41 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
One of my friends informed me this is quite common for clubs in Europe (or at least everywhere he'd been in it). I also know of one club in Toronto that used to meet at a pub; though this was a few years ago and I'm not sure if it still exists.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #30 Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:15 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
My experience has unfortunately told me that the more I drink, the worse I play. Still trying to figure that one out. :scratch:

This post by skydyr was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, ez4u

Post #31 Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:12 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
skydyr wrote:
My experience has unfortunately told me that the more I drink, the worse I play. Still trying to figure that one out. :scratch:
There's a Drink and Go thread. :razz:

This post by Phelan was liked by: Bonobo