All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good Time Suji
Post #1 Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:47 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 41
KGS: KoDream
IGS: SmoothOper
Are there any good time techniques. I play on IGS, with the rolling 10 minutes per 25 moves, I have used standard invasion sequences as the clock moves towards 1:00 to fire off five or six moves, what are other good ways to game the clock?

Also I know GoProblems.com has timed problems, are there any other good ways to improve time efficiency?

Post subject: Re: Good Time Suji
Post #2 Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 789
There are time suji for creating extra time (e.g., virtual ko threats) and time suji for wasting opposing time (e.g., invasions filling every intersection of a huge territory region). When you create a ko fight just as a time suji, don't forget to have created it...

Post #3 Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
I have heard of Good Time Susie, but not Good Time Suji.

;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: ez4u

Post #4 Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:13 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I figured a Good Time Suji would involve some sake with the game.

This post by oren was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Mef

Post #5 Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:28 pm 
Lives in sente

RobertJasiek wrote:
There are time suji for creating extra time (e.g., virtual ko threats) and time suji for wasting opposing time (e.g., invasions filling every intersection of a huge territory region). When you create a ko fight just as a time suji, don't forget to have created it...

I guess the ideal situation would be if my opponent had more time on his clock and about the time my time clicked over to start the next period, was about the time the ko fight started from my invasion.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:59 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 148
Universal go server handle: Polama
If you absolutely need time in any time system that rewards fast moves (e.g. Fischer, IGS), you can always burn ko threats. There are usually a couple obvious sente moves that don't accomplish anything on the board. Ideally you keep them to win ko's with, but better to have to avoid ko's later than lose on time.

Threats to a kill a group can be used when your opponent is low on time: it's often easy to see an attack that should be stoppable, but where the correct response isn't immediately obvious. It's a lot more important that the defender read correctly than the attacker in an attack that shouldn't succeed.

You can also find the trickiest looking area of the board and spend your time advantage reading deeply. Then start the sequence, and assuming you read correctly you can instantly respond to each move, giving your opponent no time to catch up on reading.

Good time management and long enough time settings lessens the need for such tricks.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:21 pm 
Lives in sente

Polama wrote:
If you absolutely need time in any time system that rewards fast moves (e.g. Fischer, IGS), you can always burn ko threats. There are usually a couple obvious sente moves that don't accomplish anything on the board. Ideally you keep them to win ko's with, but better to have to avoid ko's later than lose on time.

Threats to a kill a group can be used when your opponent is low on time: it's often easy to see an attack that should be stoppable, but where the correct response isn't immediately obvious. It's a lot more important that the defender read correctly than the attacker in an attack that shouldn't succeed.

You can also find the trickiest looking area of the board and spend your time advantage reading deeply. Then start the sequence, and assuming you read correctly you can instantly respond to each move, giving your opponent no time to catch up on reading.

Good time management and long enough time settings lessens the need for such tricks.

Time management cuts across rank and length of time. Good players find ways to use whatever time they are given to the maximum.

Post #8 Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:14 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2340
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
oren wrote:
I figured a Good Time Suji would involve some sake with the game.

I have tested this extensively. Results:
Good Times - Lots! :blackeye:
Avoiding Time Trouble - Not so much :scratch:

This post by ez4u was liked by: Bonobo