It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you spend your time?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:33 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
KGS: Rowen
Tygem: Kotaru
IGS: Rowen
I've had a few questions I've been tossing around and wanted to get the communities input on them.

1. How much time do you spend on Go daily?

2. Do you have other hobbies other than Go? If so how do you juggle them? (I think I have a few to many hobbies and may need to scale back a little)

3. Japanese resources on the web for Go related material. Do any of you have some awesome links you would like to share? I'm looking for free streaming channels of Go matches, Kifu, anything interesting like that. (My Japanese is limited but I'm learning more every day)

The only cool resource I've managed to find was this site: http://www.kihuu.net
Looks to have loads of Kifu.

Anyway, thanks for any responses. Hope to see how you all respond!

Post subject: Re: How do you spend your time?
Post #2 Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:09 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
1. About 10 minutes playing moves on DGS.

2. Way too many interests but I don't know how many I would call hobbies. I certainly have no free time at all once I pay attention to my interests.

3. I cannot offer anything for this one.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:06 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 143
Was liked: 218
Universal go server handle: moyoaji
1. The amount of time I spend on Go varies from day to day, but I probably average about 10-15 minutes a day. On good weeks I might average an hour a day.

2. I wouldn't call any other interest of mine a hobby except, perhaps, writing fiction. I don't spend nearly as much time writing fiction as I do on studying/playing go. You might argue playing video games is a hobby, but I kind of do that in spurts and I've had almost no time for that because of class and my real hobby - I prioritize Go over League of Legends. The reverse is occurring with writing; I've been trying to write more, so that is probably a hobby of mine. The main thing I would say to the idea of juggling hobbies is that a hobby is supposed to be something you enjoy spending your time doing. It is not necessarily supposed to be something you "need" to devote time to, so juggling them is simply about finding a way to get the most enjoyment out of them.

3. Je ne parle pas le japonais. Je ne sais pas un bon site web de go en japonais.

-Kageyama Toshiro on proper moves

Post #4 Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:38 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks for the comments so far guys. To bad neither of you know of any good Japanese resources.

I think I just like to spend my time doing to many things. I love MMO's (massively multiplayer online games), and still play World of Warcraft. I'm trying to learn the Japanese language and end up watching Anime in Japanese (with subs for now). I'm learning to render 3D models and learning digital painting to make awesome looking pictures. I like doing them all - just never seems like thee is enough time.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
1. It depends if you count playing games as time spent on go or not (It probably does.) In that case then it'd probably be an average of an hour or so per day. Some days I don't do anything and others I might play a view/watch some videos/etc. I've ordered books and am waiting for them to arrive though.

2. If the occasional video game like Eve or Europa Universalis IV does not count then I'd say no. I gave up Japanese 4 months ago because it just wasn't fun anymore, and I considered it a hobby. Four days from now would've been two years, and I'm slowly forgetting all of the ~1300 Kanji or so that were in my head. Of course, there are a few hundred I'll never be able to forget. :mrgreen:

3. Google 囲碁のガイド(手引書) or something?

Post subject:
Post #6 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:53 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Abyssinica wrote:
Of course, there are a few hundred I'll never be able to forget. :mrgreen:
Which ones, and why?

Post subject: Re:
Post #7 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:52 am 
Lives in gote

EdLee wrote:
Abyssinica wrote:
Of course, there are a few hundred I'll never be able to forget. :mrgreen:
Which ones, and why?

道、届、Simple things like (一 to 億 and even 京, 水、日、手、etc. JLPT5 Kanji), 鼈、記、着、舐, 逆,呟,痕,鞄,畑,頬,雫,枚,唇,痴,牙,砕,演,籟,暦,領,紳,汗,茸,檻,褒,喉,桃,豹 and I can go on and on and on.

The point is they were all characters I was insanely familiar with and knew all, and if not at least one or two, readings of. Then there's crap like 稿 that I might've known at one time but it's eh now. Its reading is probably こう

e: Just now I confused 檻 with 籠. :tmbdown: They're not even that similar.

Post subject:
Post #8 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:09 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Abyssinica wrote:
The point is they were all characters I was insanely familiar with and knew all
Yes, but WHY are they insanely familiar to you ?
Abyssinica wrote:
Of course, there are a few hundred I'll never be able to forget.
Abyssinica wrote:
if not at least one or two, readings of.
"Never be able to forget" and "at least two readings of" are kind of ... different.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:20 am 
Lives in gote

When I say never be able to forget, I'm talking about the meaning/being able to write them from pure memory. Well, maybe the latter will go away with time. But seriously, I don't know exactly why they're familiar. I know words that I use(d) for them; they came up in things that I read a lot. I can't think of any other reasons, but it's a moot point now since I don't do anything with the language anymore.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:34 am 
Lives with ko

The first question pertaining to how much time spent with go includes the games you play, not just studying.

I'm impressed you know Kanji, I'm slowly learning the kana right now and just about have Hiragana down. I'm not rushing because my vocabulary just isn't there and I wouldn't understand much with just the kana alone. I'm also at that stage where I understand more than I can speak lol.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:30 am 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 81
KGS: often
Typically a game a day (15m+ 5x30) monday to thursday, then an hour lesson with my teacher on friday.
I look over the lesson on the weekends if i feel like it.

2. Do you have other hobbies other than Go? If so how do you juggle them? (I think I have a few to many hobbies and may need to scale back a little)
Music, Photography. They're not really time intensive, and yea, only a game a day which isn't too much time.

3. Japanese resources on the web for Go related material.
Nope, I only use an online joseki dictionary.

Post #12 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:06 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
- Right now I spend on average between one hour and an hour and a half a day on Go including doing tsumego, studying theory and playing games (including reviews). Sometimes less, sometimes considerably more (on weekends maybe up to 4 hours a day). However, I never really tracked the time, so it is only a guess.

- Yes, I do have other hobbies and some of them (drawing, photography, learning languages) are quite time-consuming, too. Personally, I don't like to jump between them that much but prefer to do them in blocks. Personnally I think that one cannot have everything at the same time and if one wants to advance one has to put time, sweat and heart into it. Without the time, there'll be too little sweat and love alone won't get you to wherever you want - at least not anytime soon (although I don't want to imply that a heart is useless ;-) ).

3. Japanese resources on the web for Go related material. Do any of you have some awesome links you would like to share? I'm looking for free streaming channels of Go matches, Kifu, anything interesting like that. (My Japanese is limited but I'm learning more every day)
- Although my knowledge of the Japanese language is very, very limited, I like to visit the homepage of the Nihon Kiin. But you probably already knew that one. The Nihon Kiin has also an E-Book store where you can buy Shukan Go for a very low price (less than 1,50$ per issue), and other resources as well. And personally I also like to take a quick look at the pro player's blogs which are also linked from the Kiin's website (on the left of the page). They mostly write short and simple entries, which to me seems ideal for someone who learns the language.
Another nice resource for the ongoing Kisei title match is the website of the main sponsor, the Yomiuri Shimbun.
All in all I guess it will be a little difficult to find much help in this because I doubt that the majority of the users here have extensive knowledge of the Japanese language. However, if you find any other nice websites, please post them! :)

Last edited by Ember on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #13 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:08 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
1 hour or so daily. On weekends or when I have an NGA game, more like 2 hours (so around 10 hours each week)

2. Do you have other hobbies other than Go? If so how do you juggle them?
Programming, drawing, geeking (this includes part of programming, learning shogi, playing hex, juggling, coin magic and almost anything I feel like I want to learn) . I don't know if shoemaking is a hobby, but it's also something that I do on my free time and during part of work time.

3. Japanese resources on the web for Go related material.
I can't read Japanese, so... Haven't looked for them.

Post #14 Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:49 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 11
KGS: PeterN
Online playing schedule: KGS some weekday evenings GMT/BST
KGS weekends semi-randomly
1. Including both studying and playing I probably average somewhere between an hour and an hour and a half per day, though the amount of time each day can vary wildly.

2. The only other activity I'd classify as a hobby for me is tabletop wargaming, and boy is that a time sink, although could also add reading and video games for taking up time. For juggling them I sort of cycle through which one peaks my interest the most periodically, but rarely drop one out entirely for any length of time.

3. I'm no good with foreign languages, so never looked.

PeterN

Post #15 Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:10 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
1. Varies. Sometimes a few minutes doing problems, sometimes hours spent playing out variations, reading books, doing problems etc. Depends on my mood.

2. Computer games and books. I don't really juggle, I do whichever I feel like doing. My kids tie up most of what was my free time so something that I can pause and that requires not too much focus is usually preferred. I'm also ill a lot of the time so again, not too much focus but good for killing time are common themes.

3. I don't speak or read Japanese. I'd like to but I'm focused on Irish as a second language due to my wife and kids speaking it.

This post by Boidhre was liked by: RBerenguel

Post #16 Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:05 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Boidhre wrote:
1. Varies. Sometimes a few minutes doing problems, sometimes hours spent playing out variations, reading books, doing problems etc. Depends on my mood.

2. Computer games and books. I don't really juggle, I do whichever I feel like doing. My kids tie up most of what was my free time so something that I can pause and that requires not too much focus is usually preferred. I'm also ill a lot of the time so again, not too much focus but good for killing time are common themes.

3. I don't speak or read Japanese. I'd like to but I'm focused on Irish as a second language due to my wife and kids speaking it.

I started learning the basics of Irish like 3 years ago, after writing a guest post and exchanging a lot of interesting emails about language learning with the owner of bitesizeirishgaelic site (I even have a fridge magnet from them :).) I love languages, a pity my time is so limited and I only have a vague acquaintance with so many languages :/

Last edited by RBerenguel on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #17 Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:02 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
RBerenguel wrote:
Boidhre wrote:

I started learning the basics of Irish like 3 years ago, after writing a guest post and exchanging a lot of interesting emails about language learning with the owner of bitesizeirishgaelic site (I even have a fridge magnet from them :).) I love languages, a pity my time is so limited and I only have a vague acquaintance with so many languages :/

This books series is old fashioned (from the 60s iirc) but is considered to be the best spoken series out there at the moment: http://www.omahonys.ie/catalog/bunt%C3% ... 59166.html

I have it, the speakers are native speakers with a very good command of their language.

Post #18 Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
1) not enough - well I play my moves on DGS throughout the day and try and find time for tsumego, especially when I have a commute to do.

2) yes - this is my problem (in terms of Go). Astronomy, esp. telescope building. This is what I spend all my spare money on (rather than Go) and all my free time right now. Luckily it's often cloudy so it's good to have something to do indoors. It's nice to do something that is almost completely devoid of competition.

3) BadukTV on GoGameGuru streaming games, lectures etc. Non-English basic subscription is very cheap - sorry it's not some secret, free Asian content.

Post #19 Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:59 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 683
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: Splatted
3.These are just sites that somehow found there way in to my bookmarks and I honestly haven't really read that much of any of them, but they must have all had at least one page I thought was worth reading.

http://mignon.ddo.jp/assembly/mignon/go_kisi/meikan0.html - This isn't actually about go, but rather the people who play it, with short biographies of some of histories greatest players.

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/kkm3/e/a0cd717e9c ... 3f529ad7e0
- Seems to be a blog by someone who wants to share their journey from beginner to wherever they end up. It's continued at http://blog.goo.ne.jp/godiary

http://mrkigo.sakura.ne.jp/ - This is a similar thing, but probably much better. As well a writing about his experiences Mr K has also collected a huge number of useful links. Notice the リンク集 (link collections) on the left.

http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=10&t=9852 - Iirc this is a blog bythe same pro who did the go lessons at the end of Hikaru No Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPxT6_jLM_E An NHK documentary about Shusaku.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj3pB_R9AaU A Ted talk entitled 人間の能力を発現させる囲碁のキャパシティ/Igo has the capacity to reveal unlimited human abilities. I don't think I ever got round to watching it so it may or may not be rubbish.

Finally, if you search Youtube for 囲碁 you'll also find a few commented pro matches. (But not many)

Post #20 Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:45 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I've enjoyed reading them. Also, thanks for the links...I'll defiantly be checking those out!