All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go Salons in Japan?
Post #1 Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:24 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 13
KGS: ZeroKun
Hi all,

I'm looking to plan a trip sometime soon and thought it would be nice to visit a few. Other than Googling for some, I'm not actually sure which ones would be best to visit. As of now I also don't have a set location to stay, but somewhere in Tokyo.

Thanks all!

Post subject: Re: Go Salons in Japan?
Post #2 Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:45 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
The Nihon Kiin has a beautiful building right near Ichigaya station, with a nice playing area and good bookstore. There may still be a Nihon Kiin branch at Tokyo station, by the Yaesu entrance. I used to play there many moons ago. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:23 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 13
KGS: ZeroKun
Bill Spight wrote:
The Nihon Kiin has a beautiful building right near Ichigaya station, with a nice playing area and good bookstore. There may still be a Nihon Kiin branch at Tokyo station, by the Yaesu entrance. I used to play there many moons ago. :)

Thanks, that was also on my list. I still have absolutely no idea where everything is relative to another, really need to start literally mapping things out.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:52 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Bill Spight wrote:
There may still be a Nihon Kiin branch at Tokyo station, by the Yaesu entrance. I used to play there many moons ago. :)

The Yaesu one closed and moved to Yurakucho. It will be interesting to see the difference on my next trip around there.

I went to Sekishin "石心" in the Ikebukuro area a couple times since I was staying nearby, and I enjoyed it. There are a bunch all over. I think it will really depend where you stay when you go. There is a good one around Shibuya I remember too.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:36 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
This page on SL: http://senseis.xmp.net/?JapanCoolPlaces#toc6 lists several go salons and also link to a listing in Japanese of go salons all over the country.

The Nihon Ki-in playing salon is very welcoming to foreigners. There is a host/hostess who will help you find a good opponent. If you remember the kanji for go ( 碁 ) and look for it on signs (sometimes on windows above street level) as you walk around in Tokyo you will be likely to find a go salon. Also, remember the Japanese for go salon (go kaisho), you can ask at your hotel or at the tourist information counter in the main train stations and get help finding someplace.

This post by gowan was liked by: mbv

Post #6 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:31 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 199
GD Posts: 11
KGS: Hushfield
Hi ZeroKun,

I travelled around Japan two years ago, and I visited quite a lot of go salons. I've included a list with short descriptions and photographs below:

Tokyo

Nihon Kiin
Map
Quite a few people have mentioned this already, it's easy to find, and there's always a ton of people to play with. Registration was 1000 JPY for one day. Most people playing here were - as is usually the case with go in Japan - elderly. The ranks at the Nihon Kiin are also legendary in their inflation. I played at around KGS 6-kyu level when I visited here, but an employee of the Nihon Kiin overseas division urged me to register as 1-dan. I only played two games against other 1-dan opponents, but I won both fairly easily. So keep this in mind when registering.

Takadanobaba Go Club

Map
This go club is run by Mr. Urasoe from the Nihon Kiin overseas division. He is a very friendly person, and very strong at go. (I think he takes two stones playing against a top pro. At any rate, I'm not strong enough to assess how strong he is.) Perhaps it's best to check at the Nihon Kiin first, as the club is rather hard to find (it's not too far from Takadanobaba JR station). I think they meet on Saturdays. This is a rare example of a vibrant go club with a lot of younger members. They're super-friendly, and I love the atmosphere there.

Ueno Go Club
There used to be a large go club right next to ueno station. In fact, you can see the people playing go from the platform closest to the road between the station and Ueno park. I haven't got any pictures from here, but I loved playing there. Nice for combining go with a trip to one of the many museums in Ueno park.

Osaka
Kansai Kiin
Map
Worth a visit if you're in Osaka. The general playing level seemed to be slightly higher here than in the Nihon Kiin. I entered the Kiin right as a class by a local pro came to an end, and got matched with the "weakest" player in the room. He still comfortably slaughtered me time and again. There's a little salon at the back with a comfy sofa and a television showing non-stop go.

Sekitoba Go Salon
Map
This was my favourite place to play in Osaka. The go club is hidden on the top floor of a building in a busy shopping street. The owner was really friendly: he waived the entry fee as I was a traveling foreigner, and even presented me with a small book published by the salon, which had a detailed commentary on a game played by Takemiya Masakai, as well as some articles on the club and go in general.

Hiroshima
Map
I would definitely recommend playing go in Hiroshima. I was there in winter, but that didn't stop the locals from playing their daily games outside in the freezing cold. Firmly covered in multiple layers of clothing, these old men went at it with a vigor many of their young fellow countrymen would not be able to muster. It was so cold I could barely hold the stones half-way during the middle game, yet they played game after game. They tended to play very fast, and therefore sometimes made some silly mistakes for their general level. I loved the atmosphere. You can find the Hiroshima locals playing go in the park in front of the atomic bomb museum, near the atomic bomb dome.

Nagasaki
Map
Very close to Dejima (the old artificial island and the place where the Dutch VOC continued their trade with Japan during the Edo Period) you can find this salon:

I didn't have time to play there, but the people were friendly.

Kochi
Map
There's a small branch of the Nihon Kiin in Kochi. When I went there, it was deserted (yet unlocked, so I sneaked in and took some pictures):

Innoshima
Map
While not technically a go salon, you can play go at the Shusaku Memorial Hall on Innoshima. I loved the museum, and the trek up the cemetery to see Shusaku's grave. You might want to bring a go stone from your own bowl at home, which you can leave as an offer at his gravesite. It's a simple gesture, yet one I wish I would have thought of before I arrived there empty-handed and saw the small tin box with black and white stones in front of the grave.

I hope you have a great time in Japan!
Cheers,
Hush

This post by Hushfield was liked by 7 people: Drew, ez4u, g0blin, goTony, jeromie, mbv, xed_over

Post #7 Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:36 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Thanks for the pictures, I really appreciate the one with the beat up Goban and "fancy" bowls, I wish I could go and play there!

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Post #8 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:36 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 2
IGS: mbv
goTony wrote:
Thanks for the pictures, I really appreciate the one with the beat up Goban and "fancy" bowls, I wish I could go and play there!

Yeah that's just what I was going to say. Hiroshima picture 2, the board, containers and stones look so humble and beautiful. I wonder what move black next made. Will he close off B2 (the bottom left corner nearest the photographer)?

Thanks for sharing.