It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1001 GoGoD Games for your Coffee Break #31 (17 Feb 2013)
Post #1 Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:06 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
Before going to bed I put a marker down in front of my computer as a way to remember it was my turn to make the coffee, but the next morning I couldn't for the life of me remember what the marker was for. By the time I did remember I was on a train journey - so I'm doubling up today (but pre-dating this post for future indexing).

GoGoD has always taken a special interest in blind games. This is partly because I once had an almost totally blind work colleague who impressed me immensely every day at work, but one day there was a public transport strike and I didn't expect Brian to be in. He normally travelled alone by train, from about five miles out. But only a few minutes late he turned up, slightly flushed. He had commandeered a push bike and had cycled in, asking people to point him in the right direction at various points. It was suicidal at the best of times, but of course the roads were even busier that day. He calmly reasoned that the extra traffic would mean every car had to drive slowly. When I tried to argue that he'd missed a great excuse to have a free day off, he riposted thatno commies were going to keep him away from work!

After that I can only say the following game may be a bit of an anti-climax, but at least it has some interesting features. First, it is a relatively rare example of a 13x13 game involving a pro - and six-stone handicap game at that. But more important, Black was physically blind and, to compensate a little, the pro played blindfold.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: daal, emeraldemon, SoDesuNe

Post subject: Re: 1001 GoGoD Games for your Coffee Break #31 (17 Feb 2013)
Post #2 Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:31 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
John Fairbairn wrote:
First, it is a relatively rare example of a 13x13 game involving a pro - and six-stone handicap game at that. But more important, Black was physically blind and, to compensate a little, the pro played blindfold.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know if this game was played with a blind go set (where players can feel the different pieces), or if they played the whole thing by simply calling out points?