It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: chinese go terms
Post #1 Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:30 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I'm trying to learn go terms in Mandarin Chinese. The Sensei's Library page http://senseis.xmp.net/?ChineseGoTerms is very helpful for this goal, but there are some simple words that I cannot find there or elsewhere online. Could someone please help out?

I would like to know how to refer to:
1) a stone
2) a string (a strictly connected group of stones, usually small)
3) a group (a loosely connected group of stones)
4) a dragon (a very large string)

On the Sensei's page, I believe it tells how to say stone and dragon, but I would like to know if there are multiple terms for them. There is no word for string, and the only words similar to group are "live group", "dead group" and include more information than I want.

If you know a good reference for this information I would be happy to see it.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: chinese go terms
Post #2 Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:23 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 41
KGS: KoDream
IGS: SmoothOper
Do they actually refer to them as stones? Maybe they call them something like game pieces. My wife always has trouble translating that, I'm not sure why.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:43 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
SmoothOper wrote:
Do they actually refer to them as stones? Maybe they call them something like game pieces. My wife always has trouble translating that, I'm not sure why.

I believe they refer to individual stones as "qi2 zi". Most of the terms on Sensei's Library for group (live group, dead group) use the word "qi2" for the part meaning group. For example live group is "huo2 qi2" and dead group is "si3 qi2". But from the Chinese speakers I've asked, "qi2" is not used to refer to general groups the way I think of a "group". However, most of these people are not avid go players, so I'd really like to get some information from a native Chinese speaker who is also an avid go player.

Is your wife a native Chinese speaker and go player? If so, I'd very much appreciate if you asked her about these terms.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:44 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
Qi is complicated because it has a lot of meanings - hao qi, for example, means a good move whereas gao qi means a strong player.

A stone is usually referred to as zi. A string can be described as chuan (串). One word for a group is kuai(块). A dragon is long (龙).

It's important to note that we don't usually distinguish between a string and a group in Chinese.

Post subject:
Post #5 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:25 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
chowder420, what you and illluck said is correct.

Usually, when people talk about a small string (say, fewer than 10 stones),
they use zhe4 ji3 ge4 zi3 這幾個子, "these (few) stones," or simply, zhe4 ji3 ge4 這幾個, "these (few)."

Usually, when they refer to a huge group (not alive), they say da4 long2 大龍, "big dragon" --
if it's small, they don't usually use long2 龍; instead, they use kuai4 塊.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:50 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 35
illluck wrote:
It's important to note that we don't usually distinguish between a string and a group in Chinese.

Do we do it in English?

(Rules theorists excepted, natch).

This post by Koroviev was liked by: ez4u

Post #7 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:27 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 43
KGS: GoRoGoRo
Tygem: TyGoR
chowder420 wrote:
SmoothOper wrote:
Do they actually refer to them as stones?

I believe they refer to individual stones as "qi2 zi".

It would be funny to refer to them as stones while saying they "eat"
them. I am interested in the Chinese terminology, but I don't have
any deeper knowledge of the language or Chinese script.
How about the number 2 in "qi2"? Is this just some character which
doesn't show up appropriately on my screen?

Cheers,
Rainer
(GoChild GoRo with 1665236 points)

Post subject:
Post #8 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:41 am 
Honinbo

GoRo wrote:
No, your computer is displaying it correctly -- it is simply the digit "two".
In Mandarin (Putonghua), there are four tones, denoted by 1,2,3,4.
For example: ma by itself is ambiguous, but
ma1: mother
ma2: hemp
ma3: horse
ma4: scold

( So putonghua is actually pu3 tong1 hua4, and weiqi, Go, is actually wei2 qi2. )

This post by EdLee was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, GoRo

Post subject:
Post #9 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:46 am 
Honinbo

GoRo wrote:
It would be funny to refer to them as stones while saying they "eat" them.)
Yea, it's a little funny.
They are not really being referred to as "stones"; rather, they are referred to as "Go pieces".

I don't know the etymology -- maybe John or others more knowledgeable can help --
I'm guessing the English usage "Go stone" came from the Japanese Go ishi 碁石 ?
Before that, I don't know if the use of ishi 石 for Go pieces came from the Japanese or the Chinese ?

This post by EdLee was liked by: GoRo

Post #10 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 41
KGS: KoDream
IGS: SmoothOper
illluck wrote:
Qi is complicated because it has a lot of meanings - hao qi, for example, means a good move whereas gao qi means a strong player.

A stone is usually referred to as zi. A string can be described as chuan (串). One word for a group is kuai(块). A dragon is long (龙).

The "zi" 子 is complicated, because it is amongst other things a general noun suffix. Examples are wife "Qīzi" or 妻子, son "Érzi" 儿子, chopsticks "Kuàizi" 筷子 though in general mostly Chinese words don't have suffixes.

Post #11 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:06 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Koroviev wrote:
illluck wrote:

Do we do it in English?

I've never had anyone use 'strings' when talking about go. We've always just used groups.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:01 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
oren wrote:
Koroviev wrote:
illluck wrote:

Do we do it in English?

I've never had anyone use 'strings' when talking about go. We've always just used groups.

You must not play against string theorists. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post subject: Re:
Post #13 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:35 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
EdLee wrote:
GoRo wrote:
No, your computer is displaying it correctly -- it is simply the digit "two".
In Mandarin (Putonghua), there are four tones, denoted by 1,2,3,4.
For example: ma by itself is ambiguous, but
ma1: mother
ma2: hemp
ma3: horse
ma4: scold

( So putonghua is actually pu3 tong1 hua4, and weiqi, Go, is actually wei2 qi2. )

But I never understood why it's written "wei2qi2", when it is correctly pronounced: we2iqi2. The same with pu3 to1ng hu4a :o It may look more funny but at least you know how to pronounce which letter.

Post subject:
Post #14 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:55 pm 
Honinbo

SoDesuNe wrote:
But I never understood why it's written "wei2qi2", when it is correctly pronounced: we2iqi2.
Please explain? :)

Post subject: Re:
Post #15 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:20 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
EdLee wrote:
SoDesuNe wrote:
But I never understood why it's written "wei2qi2", when it is correctly pronounced: we2iqi2.
Please explain? :)

Seconded. Note that "ei" is actually one sound, same with "ong".

p.s. Edlee probably didn't want to add unnecessary complexity, but the actual situation is far more ambiguous - there are many characters with different meanings that are pronounced exactly the same (in fact, I'd say that the majority of Chinese characters are homophones). Also, there's also another tone (the neutral tone).

Post #16 Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:17 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Hm, maybe there are different ways to teach chinese pronounciation but we started with Pinyin and there the tones were always assigned to specific letters. Weiqi e.g. is written wéiqí in Pinyin. The ´ show that these letters are pronounced using the second tone.
Putonghua is written: Pŭtōnghuà (I made a mistake with the tones in my post above). ˘ is the third tone, - is the first tone and ` is the fourth tone in Pinyin.

That way I used to think the tones should stand behind the letters which will be pronounced differently and not behind each syllable.

Post #17 Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:27 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 109
KGS: Soji
DGS: Soji
Online playing schedule: KGS usually Friday 20:00-23:00
I only know very little about mandarin, but I was taught to understand the tone as assigned to the whole syllable, even though it was written above one letter (I learned with pinyin as well).

Post #18 Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:22 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
Quote:
Hm, maybe there are different ways to teach chinese pronounciation but we started with Pinyin and there the tones were always assigned to specific letters.

The way to think of it is that every Chinese syllable consists of a vowel sound (nb vowel sound, not vowel) and this may have some consonant sounds fore and aft.

The vowel sound can be a pure vowel or a vowel with a diphthong. In the latter case, the pinyin mark, if accents are used, goes over the main vowel, which may be the first (e.g. as in ei) or the second (as in ua), or the middle (as in uai). It may even go over a vowel sound not shown (to our ears), as in ui. But it's always the main vowel, and this is always predictable.

Where numbers are shown instead, the number is added at the end of the whole vowel sound and you just have to know which is the main vowel for pronunciation purposes.

Note that the tone mark shown does not necessarily represent the sound you will hear. Tones mutate according to the environment, usually in a regular, learnable way. Occasionally actual pronunciations are shown with tone marks, but the norm is to show what might be called the standard dictionary form for each syllable, the one regular exception being the neutral tone, which is often so marked, either with 0 or 5, or just by absence of any tone mark, but dictionaries vary here.

Post #19 Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:51 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 34
Was liked: 21
DGS: XiaoTuzi
Universal go server handle: Kanin
SoDesuNe wrote:
Hm, maybe there are different ways to teach chinese pronounciation but we started with Pinyin and there the tones were always assigned to specific letters. Weiqi e.g. is written wéiqí in Pinyin. The ´ show that these letters are pronounced using the second tone.
Putonghua is written: Pŭtōnghuà (I made a mistake with the tones in my post above). ˘ is the third tone, - is the first tone and ` is the fourth tone in Pinyin.

That way I used to think the tones should stand behind the letters which will be pronounced differently and not behind each syllable.

The tones are officially assigned to the syllable's nucleus. When using diacritics to mark tone it is tradition to put them on top of the vowel symbolizing the nucleus. Whereas when you mark them with numbers you just put it at the end of the syllable. In any case, most Chinese people would just consider the tone to come with the syllable as a whole and not give nucleus and vowels any thought whatsoever. Please note that in some cases two letters can represent one vowel sound, and also be the nucleus. It is so in for instance wei2 where ei is one sound. In such cases where to put the diacritic is a matter of writing convention.

On Chinese go terms: There are many terms to be found in magazines and go books and a lot of borrowing has taken place between Japanese and Chinese. But in practice not so many terms are being used in real life discussion of games, and more importantly it seems to be very flexible when and how to use a term.

Sometimes Chinese go players even surprise each other with the way they use different terms. I have a friend who is a go pro and he will frequently say "this diagram" (zhe4tu3) when talking about a variation on a real board. This is equally strange in Chinese as in English as there are no diagrams on the real board and many other go players often react at his way of using the word. I'm guessing it is resulting from the fact that the only books he ever read since graduating high-school are go books, making his vocabulary a little skewered.

From a non-native speaker, but avid go player living in Shanghai. Cheers!

Post #20 Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:00 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
SoDesuNe wrote:

JF and Kanin gave much more detailed replies, but in a nutshell - it's not the u or the e or the i that takes the second tone, it's wei! How can you give a tone to a letter without giving that tone to the whole syllable?