It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does playing a high dan bot helps improving?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:34 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 0
Like for example a 3kyu vs a 6-7dan bot?

Post subject: Re: Does playing a high dan bot helps improving?
Post #2 Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:50 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
I don't think it's very usefull (just my opinion). What is really usefull, is to use a bot to review your games.

By that, I mean to look in your game for places where the bot didn't like your play, and explore why it don't like it and how to punish your mistake (if your opponent didn't punish it). Look where you didn't punish your opponent mistakes, and how to take advantage of them. Use the bot to ask questions "What if I play here?" "What do you think the correct continuation should be?" "But if my opponent play here, how should I answer?".

Post #3 Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:15 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 180
First perhaps better describe what you mean.

That's too large a difference in strength to be useful playing even games.

a) Can the bot be set to play not quite as strong on your hardware?
b) Would you be willing to try taking say 3 handicap stones and immediately contest the fourth corner (where the bot will almost surely play) with the bot set to say 2-3 dan?

I slightly disagree (just slightly) that the bot that useful showing you where you should have played against a significantly stronger opponent. That opponent probably made that clear by its next move (made clear what you had failed to see)

Post #4 Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 416
Was liked: 198
Glummie wrote:
Like for example a 3kyu vs a 6-7dan bot?

Sure it helps: take handicap against it, change the handicap after each game, challenge yourself to reduce the handicap over time.

This post by sorin was liked by: Bill Spight

Post subject: Re: Does playing a high dan bot help improving?
Post #5 Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:22 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Personally I have never been able to improve against a bot for the following reasons:
  • When the bot plays fast, it's hard for me not to follow my opponent and play fast as well.
  • When the bot plays slowly, it's a bit boring to wait forever that it makes obvious moves.
  • Bots always play with the same style, it can become boring.

If the above points are not a problem for you, than a strong bot could be helpful if, either you play with low handicap and accept to lose most games, or play with a high handicap if the bot still makes "normal" moves and is not too passive. For instance, Hirabot 6d on KGS is quite bad when it gives 6 stones.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:29 am 
Lives in sente

jlt wrote:
Personally I have never been able to improve against a bot for the following reasons:
  • When the bot plays fast, it's hard for me not to follow my opponent and play fast as well.
  • When the bot plays slowly, it's a bit boring to wait forever that it makes obvious moves.
  • Bots always play with the same style, it can become boring.

However all three of these can apply to when playing against a human opponent (the third if always/usually playing against the same human). The first of these, you really need to train yourself to resist.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:38 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I think it's useful. I got to SDK mostly by playing gnu go, which was about 5k at that time. At first I played at 9 stones until I could beat it, then worked my way up. Today's bots are much better teachers.

This post by Kirby was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #8 Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:11 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 3
KGS: WinPooh
IGS: WinPooh
DGS: WinPooh
There are more than 200 weights files for Leela Zero now, in a range from 30k to 9d. You can change the one which is 2-3 stones stronger than you and play with handicap.
Or you can play even games, and after 2 wins increase weights file version, after 3 losses decrease it.
I am 2k KGS and now my LZ opponents are in the range of 50-60, for fast even games.

This post by WinPooh was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #9 Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Some notes of caution:

- Playing online is often synonymous with not taking time to seriously count during the game. This is especially true if there is a clock that limits thinking time. One thing that bots are pretty good at is quickly assessing the score. So you may find yourself losing close games because you didn't have time to properly evaluate the position.
- It has been stated on this forum that bots often will chose a suboptimal move that guarantees victory instead of the "best" move. This could lead to misleading conclusions if you are trying to learn from the bot's play.
- Bots are also prone to errors. Uberdude has found cases where super strong bots went awry after misplaying a ladder. Therefore, make sure if you repeatedly play a bot, you are trying to win by improving yourself and not by finding the bot's fatal flaws.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:09 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
The OP implies that playing humans is good for learning to start with.

I don’t think it matters whom you play. You learn most in the analysis stage. Having a tireless pro at your disposal is invaluable. It speaks in sequences though, some of which are hard to understand at the lower levels.

Volunteers to explain them in human language are available here up to the amateur dan level. Beware: we tend to overexplain and be too confident in what we think we know.

These days I no longer review games without Lizzie. I can borrow her sequences and try making sense of them for myself and others. I recommend to review your own games and use Lizzie in creative ways. If you don’t get her, try us.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #11 Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:59 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 94
jlt wrote:
This is so true!

In fact, I modified my go software so that I am not allowed to play before some time is elapsed (I set it at 10s). This way, I am forced to play slowly against a fast playing bot :mrgreen:

This post by pnprog was liked by: ez4u

Post #12 Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:19 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
I invite the OP to have a look at my latest analysis in my own practice blog.

Post #13 Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:03 pm 
Lives in sente

pnprog wrote:
jlt wrote:
This is so true!

BUT -- this is NOT just a bot problem. You can experience exactly the same thing with a human opponetn whose playing tempo is very different from your own. So need to learn the same skills to overcome the problem.

Post #14 Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:34 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 94
Mike Novack wrote:
pnprog wrote:
jlt wrote:
This is so true!

BUT -- this is NOT just a bot problem. You can experience exactly the same thing with a human opponetn whose playing tempo is very different from your own. So need to learn the same skills to overcome the problem.
I agree, this is a skill to learn or work on.
For some reason, I don't have this issue with "over the board" games.

Post #15 Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:27 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 129
Was liked: 27
Universal go server handle: Applebaps
Online playing schedule: Evenings M-F UTC-9, Saturday mornings
Just speaking for myself, I find games against Leela Zero to be far more informative and intuitive to understand than a lot of what I see in contemporary professional games, which can be very "fighty" and require deep reading skills to follow.

Playing against her is an invaluable experience, provided I take the time to review. Often, playing against humans, you start to learn to directly counter "gimmicky" play rather than getting stronger overall. Winning online often means dealing with really bizarre and disrespectful moves. My personal goal is a little higher than that, so I try to learn from the best. Right now, the best players are all AI.

Post #16 Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:07 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
I find it more relaxing to play bots. Playing ranked games can be so stressful, like writing code that cannot be edited, whenever there is a compile error the whole program has to be discarded... The undo button makes development much smoother, any "typos" that make the strategy simply not run can be changed to evaluate the overall situation. Like if you need to try ten branches to live with a group it was probably not a great invasion but if you anyhow find yourself in such a spot you have experience finding the one in ten shot for life.

Crazystone is great for such undoplorations, the mobile app is low dan but very snappy compared to the LZ programs I've tried. I used to play it for hours while doing other stuff (no need to fear distractions with unlimited undos) until I finally won the ultimate victory: capturing every single stone on the board.

Bots also wont throw rocks at your house for trying something that's "not supposed to work" so they are excellent for experimentation.

Post #17 Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:26 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
One thing that aids learning is feedback. Hence the importance of reviewing your games with the best bot you can. And immediate feedback is very good. Like, within one second. The bot, OC, can play that quickly. :)

So how's this? Make your play, and then within one second see not only the bot's play, but its evaluation. If the evaluation changes by more than 3% against you (4% with Elf), back up to your previous play and try again.

This seems to be basically what TheLemon just said. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #18 Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:15 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 200
Was liked: 30
I don't think leela zero is best bot for a 3 kyu player. wont be human like at that level. If someone else at similar strength is wondering the same thing as op, Find one of these bots below that you can play an even game with. The rankings do not correspond to human rankings. You need a pc, gtp4zen, zen 6, zen 7, Sabaki, and katago with the 20b s2971 net. You can play with any standard board size, ruleset and komi. An old i3 and weak graphics card are good enough, or the new ryzen apus.
zen7 17k -t1 -r3 -s200 -n0 -o4.0 -p0.2

zen7 16k -t1 -r3 -s200 -n0 -o3.0 -p0.25

zen7 15k -t1 -r3 -s300 -n0 -o2.4 -p0.3

zen7 14k -t1 -r3 -s300 -n0 -o2.2 -p0.3

zen6 13k -z6 -r3 -t1 -s300 -n0 -o0.1 -p0.5

zen6 12k -z6 -r5 -t1 -s400 -n0 -o0.1 -p0.6

zen6 11k -z6 -r5 -t1 -s500 -n0 -o0.2 -p0.65

zen6 10k -z6 -r5 -t1 -s600 -n0 -o0.3 -p0.7

zen6 9k -z6 -t1 -s700 -n0 -o0.4 -p0.75

zen6 8k -z6 -t1 -s800 -n0 -o0.5 -p0.8

zen6 7k -z6 -t1 -s1000 -n0 -o0.7 -p0.8

zen6 6k -z6 -t1 -s1500 -n0 -o0.9 -p0.9

zen6 5k -z6 -t1 -s2000 -n0 -o1 -p1

zen6 4k -z6 -t1 -s2500 -n1 -o0.2 -p1

zen6 3k -z6 -t1 -s3000 -n1 -o0.3 -p1

zen6 2k -z6 -t1 -s3000 -n1 -o0.5 -p1

zen6 1k -z6 -r15 -t1 -s3000 -n1 -o1 -p1

Katas297 1d resign threshold 90% 1 thread 1 playout

Katas297 2d resign threshold 90% 1 thread 2 playouts

Katas297 3d resign threshold 90% 1 thread 4 playouts

Katas297 4d resign threshold 90% 1 thread 6 playouts

Katas297 5d resign threshold 90% 1 thread 8 playouts

Katas297 6d resign threshold 90% 1 thread 10 playouts

Katas297 7d resign threshold 90% 1 thread 12 playouts

Katas297 8d resign threshold 90% 1 thread 14 playouts

Katas297 9d resign threshold 90% 1 thread 16 playouts

personally, I stream the pc to a likebook mars e ink ereader and use that to play over a real board.