Post #41 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:10 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
hyperpape wrote:
Bantari wrote:
hyperpape wrote:
But when I wish to learn and become stronger, I think about wanting to understand the professional games that I watch.

1. You actually give a pretty intelligent and good reason for wanting to improve - and one that I can wholeheartedly agree with. To understand better and thus enjoy more the games of stronger players. Probably the best reason I have ever heard.
Perhaps. But I also don't study as much as most people on the boards, or play as much, or improve as much. Maybe it's a coincidence, but perhaps really strongly wanting to win and compete is a better route to improvement.

Probably.
I am not trying to say what is a better path.
Primal hunger served humanity pretty well in the past. Greed serves it well right now - it creates riches and success.

All I am speaking for is not hiding behind pretenses. ;)

This post by Bantari was liked by: topazg

Post subject: Re: Rank obsession
Post #42 Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:33 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Bantari wrote:

All I am speaking for is not hiding behind pretenses. ;)

Hiding behind pretenses is not good, but who is to say who is hiding behind pretenses? I would say that someone honestly admitting that they care about winning and rank is less likely to be hiding behind pretenses than someone that claims to have a more altruistic goal in playing go.

Bantari wrote:
I am not trying to say what is a better path.

Bantari wrote:
1. You actually give a pretty intelligent and good reason for wanting to improve - and one that I can wholeheartedly agree with. To understand better and thus enjoy more the games of stronger players. Probably the best reason I have ever heard.

?

Post #43 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:58 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 2
KGS: mayweed
Isn't the fear of losing one of the greatest roadblocks on the path of improvement?

Post #44 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:06 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
KGS: voice1
HI all,
I just have some quick things to say. First off is rank to me means nothing. I have been ~6-4k for about a year now and still enjoy playing Go. I have played game against 1k players, in the past, without handicaps and have won. So is saying I'm 1k accurate? No. Also on the other hand I've played against ~11k players, without handicaps, and have lost. Does that make me 11k? No. Ranks are just an estimate. I enjoy playing whoever whenever. Why? Because no matter the rank attached to the name you never know what will happen. I have learned a lot from higher ranked opponents, likewise lower ranked opponents. Not playing someone because of their rank seems ridiculous to me because you could miss a chance to improve, or help someone else to.

Now that's not to say I don't play mostly close to my rank, but for me that's more of a convenience thing. I find that most players will only play others who are 1-3 ranks away. Why? I think it's because they are convinced that that's where they are most likely to have a challenging game.

This post by voice1 was liked by: xed_over