It is currently Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cho Chikun vs Yi Ch'ango-ho Stats
Post #1 Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:26 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
I was studying some very strong games by Cho Chikun and was impressed by the steadiness and strength in those games. For some reason I decided to see his record again Yi Ch'ang-ho and discovered a crazy 11-2 match record going to Yi. I'm not sure what to think, but I was quite surprised.

On a side note, I only have three official records of Yi playing Kobayashi Koichi. Kobayashi comes out 2-1. I had always wished they'd played more than just a handful of games together.

Post subject: Re: Cho Chikun vs Yi Ch'ango-ho Stats
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:39 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Although Cho did have some success in the 2000s, wasn't his prime earlier and so not such a big overlap with Lee?

Last edited by Uberdude on Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:41 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
They were born about 20 years apart, so it's not a big surprise to me.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
Uberdude wrote:
Although Cho did have some success in the 2000s, wasn't his prime earlier and so not such a big overlap with Lee?

No, Cho had two great periods: one in the early '80s and the other in the mid-late '90s. In the '90s alone he earned over 25-titles. The top rivalry in '90s Japan was between Cho Chikun and Kobayashi Koichi. Cho is one of the players famous for his longevity.

In terms of age, Rin Kaiho, 33-years his senior, has a record of 4-8 against Yi.

My thoughts for Cho and Yi's result is two-fold. First, Cho was infamous for blundering in international matches during the '90s (he became better as time passed). Second, Yi's extra solid and 'complex avoiding' style often caused Cho to try unreasonable strategies or moves. These led to many resignations when things didn't work out. But regardless, 11-2 is still a surprising result.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:53 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
Lee Changho vs Cho Chikun:

http://www.go4go.net/go/games/twoplayer/18/98

Lee Changho vs Rin Kaiho

http://www.go4go.net/go/games/twoplayer/18/36

Lee Changho vs Kobayashi Koichi

http://www.go4go.net/go/games/twoplayer/18/50

I seem to have one game record each from Cho and Rin missing. Can anyone point to me which?

Post #6 Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:25 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
Gogod found two games between Lee and Cho, both played during the 3rd Korea-Japan-China tv quickplay. The dates are 1992/01/22 and 1992/02/23 (one win for each player).

Between Rin and Lee, the missing game seems to be one played during the 1st SBS Team Cup, date is 1992/02/08 (Rin won).

Post #7 Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:59 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwzRJfW ... 2&index=14
One of my favorite game ever, Lee changho agaisnt Cho chikun. The commentary is made by my 2 friends Miss cho hyehyeon and william shi .

This post by lichigo was liked by: logan

Post #8 Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:11 am 
Lives in sente

Shenoute wrote:
Between Rin and Lee, the missing game seems to be one played during the 1st SBS Team Cup, date is 1992/02/08 (Rin won).

Thanks for the information. This tournament was an early attempt of an international team competition, although held only once. Its format is very similar to the Nonshim Cup. Seo Bongsoo beat the last players of Japanese and Chinese, and Korean captain Cho Hunhyun did not need to play. I've added all 13 games to Go4Go database.

BTW, the game date of the Rin-Lee game in GoGoD is incorrect. I have a very realiable source showing the game was played on 1992/02/07.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:33 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4641
Quote:
BTW, the game date of the Rin-Lee game in GoGoD is incorrect. I have a very realiable source showing the game was played on 1992/02/07.

Possibly, but the 1992 Korean Yearbook has both dates - on pages 270 (table) and 274 (actual game record) respectively. There are similar mismatches for other games in this event.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:02 pm 
Lives in sente

The Rin-Lee game was the 10th game of the event. A commentary on the Weiqi Tiandi magazine (March 1992 issue) covering game 11 starts with something like: "... on 7th February, Liu Xiaoguang lost to Lee Changho, who was in turn beaten by Rin Kaiho in the afternoon ... The next morning, it's Ma Xiaochun's turn ..." So clearly the Rin-Lee game was played on 1992-02-07. Otherwise Rin would have to play 3 games on 8th which is very unlikely. I do not rely on the yearbooks if there are other sources that puts these games in a context.