It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Following Nakamura Sumire
Post #501 Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:29 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
gazzawhite wrote:
Nakamura Sumire beat Fujisawa Rina in the semifinal of the Japanese Senko Cup. She won by 1.5 points. A video of the game is here.

The final will be on 17 July against Nyu Eiko. It will be livestreamed here.

Wait isn't this the first time she's beaten her in official competition!?!?

Post #502 Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:16 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
The stream was nicely set up for both games.

I was happy to see Nyu win. I was wondering if she might play Fujisawa but Nakamura clinched the win.

I'm looking forward to their match.

Post #503 Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:55 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
Elom0 wrote:

Wait isn't this the first time she's beaten her in official competition!?!?

It is. 3rd official game, overall.

Not bad, but even so, there is still a large gap to close between them.

Post #504 Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:40 pm 
Lives in sente

It's lunch time in Japan. Anyone watching the game? Will be big news either way, right? Still, I don't know the statistics on women's titles. I guess I'll wait for the article.

Post #505 Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:27 am 
Lives in gote

I followed it, most of it live, and saw how the game went from sure win to Sumire to Nyu's upset.

It looked like she had a won game. Usually, I see her fighting for her life and in this game, although she lost a group (ko involved), she didn't seem to have major problems in defense. But lost.
Years ago, my teacher told me that if your position is very solid, you might be behind. Also told me defense first, attack later. So what do I know...

The thing is that Sumire was dissappointed. There is a tweet with her face showing her emotions. Despite the mask, she can't hide it.

https://twitter.com/asahi_igo/status/1548630167266164736

They say you learn more in defeat than in success. I don't think she is going to forget today.

This post by pajaro was liked by 2 people: CDavis7M, Ember

Post #506 Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:54 pm 
Lives in sente

Speaking of Kobayashi Izumi, I saw her wrote to @igoayaya15 about Ladder Art (シチョウ de アート == "shichō de āto") to celebrate Sumire's 100 wins. Igoayaya15 is an amateur and Go teacher who makes a bunch of fun ladder picture-puzzle and posts them on twitter. So then I wondered whether Sumire's 100 win photo actually had a ladder puzzle in it. I just got the August issue of Go World 碁ワールド today and sure enough it is ladder art. Apparently her ladder art is a new serial article in Go World.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$c Please capture the :wt: stones.
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . O |
$$ | . O . . . . O . . . . . . . . . . O . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O |
$$ | . . O , . . O . . , . . . O . , . . . |
$$ | O . . X O O O X X O . O O . X X O O . |
$$ | . . X X O O X . . X O O O X . . X . . |
$$ | O X . X . X . . . . X . X . . . . X Q |
$$ | . O O X O X . . . . X O X . . . . X Q |
$$ | . . O X O X . . . . X O X . . . . X Q |
$$ | . . O X O X . . . , X O X . . , . X Q |
$$ | O . O X O O X . . X . O . X . . X O . |
$$ | . X X X X O O X X . O . . O X X . . O |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . O . . . . . , O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | O O O . . . . . . O . . . . . . O O . |
$$ | . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

I hope i put it in correctly. Enjoy. And cheers to Sumire.

This post by CDavis7M was liked by 2 people: Elom0, Ember

Post #507 Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:38 pm 
Lives in gote

For those who haven't noticed:

BREAKING NEWS!

Sumire played with a ponytail again.

Remember: hair is key.

Punk Iyama proves it too.

:lol: :lol:

This post by pajaro was liked by: Elom0

Post #508 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:59 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Like the rest of the Japanese cohort, Sumire made no progress to the final stage of the Go Seigen Cup, and we now know that she will also not take part in the finals of the Nie Weiping Cup as she didn't get past Sakai Yuki 3-dan in the Japanese domestic qualifier.

But she will get more international experience soon, because she has been drafted into the Fujian Bossi Soft Case team in the finally resurgent China Weiqi League. She will be joined by Nyu Eiko, who will play for a different team. But their games will be held on the internet, so there will be elements of international experience they will still miss out on.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom0

Post #509 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:02 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Wait, I've read or heard before somewhere that Nakamure wants to win a title before Junior High, is that true?

Post #510 Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:50 pm 
Lives in sente

Elom0 wrote:
Wait, I've read or heard before somewhere that Nakamure wants to win a title before Junior High, is that true?

Yes, I heard that Nakamura Sumire wants to win a title. Before Junior High, or after. It's the winning that's important. :tmbup:

I had asked here whether Sumire winning the Senko Cup would have been some kind of record and someone here said it was (thanks, I forget though though, maybe it was even you!). I did end up reading it later in some Japanese news article. Presumably she would have been excited to get a record along with a title. I'm just repeating this.

Of course, school takes up a lot of time.

----------

Sumire and Eiko have been playing a ton of games in the Women's Chinese Weiqi League. More are coming up. I haven't been able to follow it's been so many.

This post by CDavis7M was liked by: Elom0

Post #511 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:22 pm 
Oza

I thought I could sleep in my tent in headquarters while the reconnaissance patrols did all the work. But it seems as if they've gone AWOL.

Anyway, it's left to me to announce that Sumire has indeed won her first title last week. It was the 3rd Discovery Cup. She defeated last year's winner in the final, Miura Taro.

This cup is for players up to 18, and up to 2-dan in strength.

Sausages desu.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: CDavis7M, Elom0, Harleqin

Post #512 Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:05 am 
Lives in sente

John Fairbairn wrote:
I thought I could sleep in my tent in headquarters while the reconnaissance patrols did all the work. But it seems as if they've gone AWOL. Anyway, it's left to me to announce that Sumire has indeed won her first title last week. It was the 3rd Discovery Cup. She defeated last year's winner in the final, Miura Taro.
She has been playing so many games lately that honestly I gave up on following them. In the last 2 weeks she must have been 7 or 8 games in Chinese Women's league (I believe she did well. Nyu Eiko played too), played in the the Go Seigen cup (maybe just 1 game?). And between all this surely there was no time for Sumire to play games not streamed on the Nihon Ki-ins YouTube channel...

https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/discovery/003.html
The final rounds don't show up on the match page but they are in her profile.
Oh, here is the news: https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match_news/ ... y_cup.html
Oh... and she won 5 of 7 games in the Chinese League: https://twitter.com/Nihonkiin_pr/status ... 7701070848

Pay attention everyone. If you want to win a title, you must be easy going and simply ♥hang♥ in there.

John Fairbairn wrote:
Sausages desu.
Typo or not, I love this. Indeed, sasuga!

This post by CDavis7M was liked by: Elom0

Post #513 Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:15 pm 
Oza

Deleted repetition.

Last edited by John Fairbairn on Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #514 Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:16 pm 
Oza

Just looking at Sumire's result in the China League - bit of a curate's egg but overall I think she'll be pleased.

The Chinese threw in a couple of 1-dan nonentities and Sumire polished them off. They finally tossed in Cao Youyin, who has been a title holder, and Cao handed out a loss to Sumire.

Sumire beat Nyu Eiko, which bodes well for her domestic games in Japan (though she did lose to Ueno Asami in the Women's Honinbo semi).

There were three Korean opponents. She beat Kim Ta-yeong 4-dan (a former title holder) and O Cheong-a 4-dan. She lost to Ch'oe Cheong 9-dan - but who doesn't?!

Post #515 Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:36 am 
Oza

I looked at Sumire China Weiqi League against Kim Ta-yeong from Korea. She won by 0.25 thanks to a final dame fight (Chinese rules).

It wasn't played in an entirely straightforward way, which may have been because there were subtleties I missed, or because neither girl was very familiar with final ko fights. Can anyone comment?

Either way, it seems like at least another inch up the cliff face for Sumire.

Post #516 Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:23 am 
Oza

I can now answer my own question (indirectly), as it seems from the media coverage that Sumire did understand what she was doing when she won the dame battle against Kim. Also, her Fujian team won promotion to the A Division, and so she will get to play tougher opposition next time. Her part in this was significant because the teams have only three players each, and her score was 5-2. Nyu Eiko, in a different team, scored 3-4.

Asked about the new world record holder for becoming pro, Fujita Reo (he did it at age 9 years 4 months, beating Cho Hun-hyeon and Chang Hao by 3 months), Sumire said, "What a surprise. It will make me happy if I am able to play him." If that game comes off, it will (in media terms) be the game of century in Japan.

Reo qualified after his trial game against Seto Taiki, taking Black. He lost by 7.5 points. But think about this. He must be the first pro brought up entirely in the AI period. His play certainly showed heavy AI influence, though not in any fancy way. The AI way was clearly just the normal way for him. Seto on the other hand played like a poster boy for old-fashioned good shape, and early shoulder hit his one concession to AI.

Incidentally, Reo was a popular name for boys and girls about a decade ago and has a huge number of kanji variations. It does not actually represent Leo (obviously, being a unisex name, Britain's glorious Lionesses notwithstanding) but is part of a trend for names that Japanese parents think sound good internationally. Ken is the most obvious one for boys. Girls now often have names like Karen and Maya. In the case of unisex names, the kanji chosen normally indicate the sex difference. In Fujita Reo's case the main kanji denotes 'cleverness' (at least in Japanese; it has a somewhat different range in Chinese).

Maybe the next name to watch out for is Arata 新. With an underlying meaning of 'new' this has become one of the most popular boys' names recently, the idea being to reflect the new era of Reiwa. So, how old will the first pro of the Reiwa age be? Will nappy-changing facilities become normal at title matches soon? Will the sake bottle shape become the feeding bottle shape? Will... Better stop there, but more contributions to how a new-age vocabulary for go could look are welcome!

Post #517 Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:50 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
New age? More like new non-age, aye? ;-)

This post by Harleqin was liked by: Elom0

Post #518 Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:59 am 
Oza

For those who like to watch out for interesting games on the Igo/Shogi Channel, Sumire is playing legend Otake Hideo in an exhibition game on 28 August (from 8pm). She's almost as tall as him already!

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 2 people: Elom0, Harleqin

Post #519 Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:00 am 
Oza

In the Women's Honinbo semi-finals against Ueno Asami, Sumire played a move, presumably inspired by AI study, that was interesting on several levels. It was the triangled move below.

It was claimed as a totally new move, although A, B, and C have already been tried so Sumire was fossicking in a known area. Obviously any such new move is interesting in its own right, but the interesting extra points here were:

1. It was called a kamae (construction move). Indeed, when White eventually connects at F16 it looks like a decent shape.

2. Ueno answered almost instantly, at Black D. As if she was either expecting White's new move, or knew about it. Sumire uses Fine Art for AI study. It's likely Asami uses the same package as this is what is available to the National Squad. However, Asami is known as normally a fast player. In any case, the package the Japanese were using seems to indicate White's move incurred no loss. But Sumire's answers to Asami's move in the lower right were a little less than optimum, perhaps indicating that in her preparation she had not looked at Black's move properly.

3. The game developed in to a seriai running fight battle. Which may have been Sumire's intention, as Asami made some uncharacteristic long ponders at that stage.

Post #520 Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:05 am 
Lives in gote

Back from holidays, looks like the fort has been held.

I was aware that Sumire had played several games in a Chinese league (the complete name and system is beyond me), and her result of 5-2. As John said, losing to Choi 9-dan is more than normal, so she lost only one "regular" game. Sumire wanted to be able to fight in an international level, so this can't be bad.

About the Discovery Cup, is it really an official title? Although the winners are pros, some players are insei. So I wonder if it is more of a goodwill match, or what. Usually, in the NK website, you can see the photo of the winner (I am talking about all the other titles), but not in this case. This reminds me of the Young Lions Tournament, in HnG, where "not many pros are wearing a tie for this event".

My contribution today: Sumire just played Tsuneishi Takashi 5d in the Gosei. Sumire won, and has advanced to the A prelim of the tournament. For her, playing in the A prelims is becomming more common, which is a good sign.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next