It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Following Nakamura Sumire
Post #541 Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
If hair is of any indication, Sumire is on the right track to become a legend :lol:

This post by pajaro was liked by: Elom0

Post #542 Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:14 pm 
Lives in gote

Here's a curiosity:

Sumire won 2 games in one day, got the 40 needed and was promoted. Effective the next day.

Let's say that she only needed 1 game to be promoted. She wins the game, hooray! you are 3-dan *effective tomorrow*, and in the afternoon you play again.

In this second game of the day (which she won too), would she have been 2-dan? 3-dan? Result wise, it's not important. But, for her record, promotion to 4-dan, and game fee, it may be important. This is something that usually doesn't happen, because you usually don't play 2 days in a row, and of course not twice the same day. When the new system started, the Teikei, Wakagoi... didn't exist. But now they do.

I guess this is one of those cases where you should read the rules to the last kanji.

Post #543 Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
I assume that like any business or organization there is a human to approve the decision. She was not automatically promoted.

Post #544 Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:53 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
pajaro wrote:
she won 2 games in the prelims of the Teikei Cup, one of those new tournaments. Perhaps this is the kind of games Silviu didn't count.

You are correct: I only counted games in the tournaments mentioned in this list: https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/player/rank.html. I can't read Japanese, but it doesn't look to me that the Teikei Cup is on the list of tournaments that count towards promotion. Can someone who tell me whether this tournament is in that list?

Post #545 Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:50 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
Can someone who tell me whether this tournament is in that list

I suspect you'll find the explanation is that the Nihon Ki-in is not great at updating the non-news pages on its website.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom0

Post #546 Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Today Sumire beat Nyu Eiko in the second round of the female kisei.

This should go in the Amazon thread, also because I wanted to say that I expect Sumire to fight Fujisawa Rina in the final.

What took me here today is that I noticed that today Sumire got her 43rd win this year, according to the NK website. gotoeveryone.k2ss.info counts 44 wins (as of 2022-11-10), that would be 45 wins today.

Last year, Sumire won 43 games, too (again, NK website), with 18 loses against this year's 20 loses.

Her performance is better, because she is playing harder opponents in more advanced rounds, as she is starting to be a seeded player here and there and is skipping some prelims. Even so, still a month and a half to go before the end of the year. She is in the race for most games won.

Post #547 Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:52 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
For those who watch the Igo/Shogi Channel, Sumire is playing a special match with Joanne Missingham (who is now being called Koku Kaka in Japan - they used to say Koku Yoshiyoshi, which is soooooooooooo much nicer) on 23 November.

Also, Sumire is still part of the Japan National Team and now the public is being asked to donate to the team.

(Joanne, 28, is now 7-dan BTW).

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom0

Post #548 Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:17 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
They almost played in the Fumakilla exhibition tournament, so maybe this is a kind of debt repayment for fans who didn't get to see that match, haha!

Post #549 Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:24 pm 
Lives in gote

They already played when Sumire became pro.

According to a post in English, of the Nihon Kiin, it was Sumire's "New Shodan series match". I knew this game happened, I didn't know it was her new shodan match. Actually, I thought Sumire played Xie Yimin... They are both from Taiwan, so maybe I was mistaken.

Anyway, in that game, Sumire took black, with no komi, and lost.

This time... it will be an even game.

Post #550 Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:24 pm 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
pajaro wrote:
They already played when Sumire became pro.

According to a post in English, of the Nihon Kiin, it was Sumire's "New Shodan series match". I knew this game happened, I didn't know it was her new shodan match. Actually, I thought Sumire played Xie Yimin... They are both from Taiwan, so maybe I was mistaken.

Anyway, in that game, Sumire took black, with no komi, and lost.

This time... it will be an even game.

I'm pretty sure it was someone else she played for her Shin-Shodan match. However it should have been Cho Chikun obviously :D

Post #551 Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:27 am 
Lives in gote

Elom0 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was someone else she played for her Shin-Shodan match.

I was pretty sure too. But I found this:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0J8eQXHMP4ZTQc7WcrtdD1ekG7bMsfPojc7UPVLaLhiJAtLKkNg3F3QqmKQADPPrSl&id=286261298096771&eav=AfaYutdvTl59tkHXxWCt4KRWTPIQKSXwfcTIblUFYs9Th4ZKW2LShCy88fSwuibyvP8&m_entstream_source=timeline&paipv=0

and then I was not so sure.

Elom0 wrote:
However it should have been Cho Chikun obviously :D

Obviously!

Post #552 Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:56 am 
Lives in sente

John Fairbairn wrote:
For those who watch the Igo/Shogi Channel, Sumire is playing a special match with Joanne Missingham (who is now being called Koku Kaka in Japan - they used to say Koku Yoshiyoshi, which is soooooooooooo much nicer) on 23 November.

Also, Sumire is still part of the Japan National Team and now the public is being asked to donate to the team.

(Joanne, 28, is now 7-dan BTW).

I wonder how the Taiwanese promotion system works

Post #553 Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:52 am 
Lives in gote

Elom0 wrote:

I wonder how the Taiwanese promotion system works

Here:

https://senseis.xmp.net/?TaiwaneseProfessionalPromotionRules

Post #554 Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:02 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 9
https://home.yikeweiqi.com/#/live/room/100194/0/0

Nakamura vs Sakai Yuki, a promisingi 18 years old in the Teikei Cup prelims from today. Enjoyable flow in the game, Nakamura lost

Post #555 Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:36 am 
Lives in gote

floating wrote:
Nakamura vs Sakai Yuki, a promisingi 18 years old in the Teikei Cup prelims from today. Enjoyable flow in the game, Nakamura lost

A comment of the game by JK (in Japanese, but with emphasis in universal language):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUZgx9t76uA

In the previous post, I could see the game with AI evaluation for each move, as usual these days. And because of another discussion about comments, AI, and so on (https://www.lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18864 read it, it's interesting), I wanted to add the youtube video.

In this video, and thanks to a comment that can be translated, I understood that Sumire lost because she lost a chance (well, not only because of this... but she could have won). Sakai was "accused" of attacking too hard, leaving weak spots behind. He was luck that Sumire didn't punish those mistakes and won, but in the future, this way of playing can lead to trouble. He is still young, after all.

But what I find most interesting is that this way of playing... Sumire is usually "accused" of doing the same :lol:

Post #556 Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:33 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 9
pajaro wrote:
floating wrote:

A comment of the game by JK (in Japanese, but with emphasis in universal language):

Do you know who this JK is? I understand some japanese but he doesn't introduce himself in the begin of the video and his channels description doesn't have an introduction either so I'm wondering

Post #557 Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:50 am 
Lives in gote

floating wrote:

Do you know who this JK is? I understand some japanese but he doesn't introduce himself in the begin of the video and his channels description doesn't have an introduction either so I'm wondering

I don't know. I even asked in the general section of the forum, but nobody seems to know.

Post #558 Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
I've been wondering too. Just some Go enthusiast I guess. Maybe they have local fame. I always get recommended those videos and they are always timely/relevant. Plus fairly short and to the point. Recommended.

Post #559 Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:26 am 
Lives in gote

The prelims for the kisei have started.

Sumire got a win in her first game against Koyama Ryugo 7-dan, father and husband of other rivals.

I have been taking a lot at her group. She could find people like Ueno Risa, Xie Yimin, Nyu Eiko (more familiar), or Oya Kouichi and Aoki Sinichi, both 9-dan but less known around here.

It's a really long path, and when 2 years ago she made it to the C league, she was given a lot of credit for that. Can she make it again?

Post #560 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:57 am 
Lives in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:

What happened with this game? Is it possible to watch at least a few minutes?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 33  Next