It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Following Nakamura Sumire
Post #381 Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:45 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
It's what I thought too... about 50% :lol:

I knew that in the past, Kido gave awards. I remember when Cho Chikun was the Iyama Yuta of the time.

After the end of this, I thought that the NK had taken over. I thought it was strange, because it was/is a press thing, but I saw the awards in the NK website, so I assumed... wrong.

Post #382 Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:42 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Quote:
I saw the awards in the NK website, so I assumed... wrong.

You are not wrong. Just as Kido was, Go World is owned by the Nihon Ki-in. But the magazines do/did have a degree of editorial independence (including a budget) which should be respected, I think. In particular, they tend to try to reflect the fans' opinions/wishes rather than the pros'. Nevertheless, they are not called the GW prizes. Calling them the NK awards would more accurately emphasise that they go only to NK players, perhaps, but the Japanese stick with Kido-sho. Probably, the word associations nowadays are more along the lines of "Way of Go" awards rather than "Kido magazine" awards.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom0

Post #383 Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:46 am 
Lives in gote

Yesterday, Sumire beat Xie Yimin in the female Meijin league.

That's her first win against one of the top 4 female in an official game, AFAIK. She beat Ueno Asami in that spa, but it was more of an exhibition game.

I think this is an important milestone in her career (Sumire's, not Xie's). She has beaten strong players before, but Xie is a direct rival in her goal, that is, winning a title while in school (2 years left?). Psycologically, it may be important.

This post by pajaro was liked by: Elom0

Post #384 Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:12 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
pajaro wrote:
Yesterday, Sumire beat Xie Yimin in the female Meijin league.
I'm interested to see the record. I wonder if and where it will be published. I did a quick search and didn't find it.

Post #385 Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:39 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
On go4go: https://www.go4go.net/go/games/sgfview/101702

This post by jlt was liked by: CDavis7M

Post #386 Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:20 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1025
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Nakamure Sumire 2p beat Teriyama Rei 6p in the 78th Honinbo!!!

Post #387 Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:48 pm 
Lives in gote

Yes, great game.

It's not in go4go.net (yet), but in youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypR0hWnG8z0

Even if you don't understand Japanese, notice the "KO!" in the title.

I watched the beginning, and then had to leave. I thought that Sumire had set up a terrible attack. White survived, but black was ahead in territory and influence, old concepts. Sumire will play the A prelim, and we can expect a stronger opponent.

BTW, the record keeper was Fukuoka Kotaro 3-dan, another of the strong new players. They might play often in the future.

Post #388 Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:29 am 
Lives in gote

菫ちゃん(菫先生)、お誕生日おめでとうございます!

Sumire turns 13 today.
Only 13...

Post #389 Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:53 pm 
Lives in sente

https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match_news/ ... um=twitter

Kobayashi Izumi mentioned that Nakamura Sumire always brings this mouse and mouse pad with her when playing online. Comfort and missclick protection? Good luck? Or some other secret? I'm more interested in why Kobayashi noticed.

Anyway, if we are just playing notice Sumire's accessories -- I notice that she often brings a blanket. But this is not the same one I noticed before.

By the way, this picture was from an international youngster team match against "Chinese Taipei," which I've noticed is the preferred term to use by the Nihon Kiin and it's members.

More on topic, Nakamura won her match but the Japanese team lost overall. More games happening soon. They are streamed on the Go server but I don't have the subscription. It's not on Go4Go yet but I'll check again later.

Post #390 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:37 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
I bought the same mousepad one year ago to relieve wrist pain.

Post #391 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
A game played today (or yesterday?) by Sumire, which is still up in the Tygem game list. I don't know whether these games eventually find their way into online databases, so here it is just in case.

Attachments:
ZhouHongyu-NakamuraSumire_04032022.sgf [1.91 KiB]
Downloaded 769 times

Post #392 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:54 am 
Lives in gote

Sumire played Zhou Hongyu 6-dan today (March 4th). She had already played with this opponent a few months ago, and Sumire lost. I don't remember the tournament, and I am not going to look for it now, but she is a strong player in the international arena. This is quite an achievement.

As for the mousepad, I can see (in the previous link) that the one that Miura Taro has is different. No wrist protection. Or Kobayashi sees how Sumire takes her mouse and pad from her bag.

The UK blanket, however, is the same that I have seen many times before. Unless it's a different one with the same flag.

BTW, this event is compared with the Hokuto Cup, in Hikaru no Go. In the manga, Akira wins all of his games, while Hikaru and Yashiro lose all.

Just saying.

Post #393 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:53 pm 
Oza

Quote:
I don't remember the tournament, and I am not going to look for it now, but she is a strong player in the international arena.

It was the Go Seigen Cup, last July. But I think you may even be underselling Zhou a wee bit. She actually won the Go Seigen Cup in 2020, and has a couple of other good domestic titles under her belt.

Moreover, Sumire also won her 1st round game here against Taiwan (Lin Yuting), and so in both rounds Japan has scored 1-2 with the two boys in the team (Miura and Fukuoka) not pulling their weight.

For those wondering, this latest event is a 4-country event for new stars under 19 in teams of three (one girl).

I too am intrigued by the Union Jack rug. She is also fond of the Borders tartan, though that may be explained by the black & white of go stones. Possibly it's something to do with learning English?????

Post #394 Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:02 am 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Zhou is probably the second strongest female player only to Choi, I was surprised, but then again Nakamura Sumire is on the level of Choi Jung and Kim Eunji!

Post #395 Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:49 am 
Lives in sente

I noticed that most of the Sumire merchandise is old, same as everyone else's. I haven't seen it change besides the formal Japanese outfit set. They must hire someone to make it all at once. I haven't seen new merchandise in years. The pandemic probably affected that as well.
(https://item.rakuten.co.jp/nihonkiin/c/0000000199/)

Post #396 Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:35 pm 
Lives in gote

Elom0 wrote:
Zhou is probably the second strongest female player only to Choi, I was surprised, but then again Nakamura Sumire is on the level of Choi Jung and Kim Eunji!

I didn't mean to undersell Zhou. Raher, I was underselling my own memory :shock: I only follow the Japanese scene, so I don't know players from other countries.

Anyway, winning one game against Zhou and saying that she is on the level of Choi and Kim... a bit too early.

CDavis7M wrote:
I noticed that most of the Sumire merchandise is old, same as everyone else's.

Wow, I didn't know about this. A few quick thoughts:
- Kato Masao is still the first man, and Yoshihara Yukari is the first woman. Still quite popular, I guess, for different reasons.
- Fans from men are 10 yen more expensive than fans from women. Really??
- Xie Yimin has a few more fans, more expensive. Maybe she is better with the brushes.
- The plastic cover with Sumire's image is quite creepy, IMHO.

Back to the topic... I want to see next games against Ueno Asami and Nyu Eiko in the female Meijin league. The last game, against Mukai Chiaki, might be a fight for survival.

Post #397 Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:41 pm 
Oza

Quote:
Anyway, winning one game against Zhou and saying that she is on the level of Choi and Kim... a bit too early.

I'm sure Sumire is nowhere near the level of Ch'oe - who is? But she has the same grade as Kim Eun-chi yet is MUCH, MUCH superior otherwise (I hope). Kim had to take a year off for alleged AI cheating, you will recall.

Post #398 Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:23 am 
Lives in sente

pajaro wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

I didn't mean to undersell Zhou. Raher, I was underselling my own memory :shock: I only follow the Japanese scene, so I don't know players from other countries.

CDavis7M wrote:
I noticed that most of the Sumire merchandise is old, same as everyone else's.

Wow, I didn't know about this. A few quick thoughts:
- Kato Masao is still the first man, and Yoshihara Yukari is the first woman. Still quite popular, I guess, for different reasons.
- Fans from men are 10 yen more expensive than fans from women. Really??
- Xie Yimin has a few more fans, more expensive. Maybe she is better with the brushes.
- The plastic cover with Sumire's image is quite creepy, IMHO.

Back to the topic... I want to see next games against Ueno Asami and Nyu Eiko in the female Meijin league. The last game, against Mukai Chiaki, might be a fight for survival.
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure Sumire is nowhere near the level of Ch'oe - who is? But she has the same grade as Kim Eun-chi yet is MUCH, MUCH superior otherwise (I hope). Kim had to take a year off for alleged AI cheating, you will recall.

I forgot to note I was comparing her with Ch'oie Jeoung when she was the same age! And I guess I assumed that since Kim Eunjchi is young, she can still improve quite a bit from playing informal matches, whereas an adult tends to require official matches to improve. At least that's what I heard from Chihayafuru!

Post #399 Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:13 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
John Fairbairn wrote:

I think Kim is very strong, probably still stronger than Sumire at the moment.

Post #400 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:28 am 
Lives in sente

illluck wrote:
John Fairbairn wrote:

I think Kim is very strong, probably still stronger than Sumire at the moment.

What is the age difference exactly? When kids are this young saying they're in the same grade is like saying two grown-ups are in the same generation. Bill Spight posted Malcolm Gladwell noting how erroneous it is not to treat age differences proportionally. Aversion towards proportional thinking in favour of linear thinking is just another one of the many human habits that make me lean towards anthroposkepticism, haha :lol:.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 33  Next