Post subject: Cho Kosumi debut
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:45 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
Cho Kosumi has lost her first game, in the Ryusei prelims. I'm afraid I haven't been able to find an SGF.

She's great-granddaughter of Kitani Minoru, grandaughter of Kobayashi Koichi and Kitani Reiko and daughter of Kobayashi Izumi and Cho U.

And it might be trivial, but I like her stance.

Take care.

PS: I've seen Kitani Reiko's surname written as Kobayashi, but if Izumi keeps hers, it seems more coherent to have Reiko keep hers, too.

This post by Ferran was liked by: Ember

Post subject: Re: Cho Kosumi debut
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Ferran wrote:
PS: I've seen Kitani Reiko's surname written as Kobayashi, but if Izumi keeps hers, it seems more coherent to have Reiko keep hers, too.

Coherence has little or nothing to do with the law, in Japan and many other places as well. :)

Reiko became Reiko Kobayashi when she married. Under a 19th century Japanese law, Japanese couples must adopt the same surname. So either Kobayashi Koichi had to become Kitani Koichi (which he did not) or Reiko had to become Kobayashi Reiko. Cho U and Kobayashi Izumi are not under the same restriction since Cho is still a citizen of Taiwan, AFAIK. My wife and I are in a similar situation. Why doesn't Japan change this law, you might ask. Because the Liberal Democratic Party (the LDP, AKA the people in power), conservatives to the end, do not want to. After all, according to some members of the LDP, letting Japanese women (~94% of the time the women change their name rather than the men) retain their family names might lead to a rise in crime!

This post by ez4u was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, Ember

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:51 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
That's interesting. In Korea, it's common to have separate surnames between husband and wife (i.e. wife doesn't usually change her name). It's also not unusual for couples not to wear wedding rings. The suggestion that this could lead to more crime is kind of funny. Though, I noticed this quote from the article:
Quote:
As for the true intent behind his comment in the meeting, Moritaka told the Mainichi Shimbun, "I don't think I said anything as extreme as: crimes will increase if we allow for married couples to have different surnames." He went on to explain, "Divorces have increased in Japan, and the values of the family that used to exist are crumbling. There have been many incidents in which crumbling family values stand out. That is the background of my comment that we should be more cautious.

Although, he also said this:
Quote:
I am concerned that easily making it possible for married couples to choose between surnames could increase crime.

I don't really know anything about this guy or his intent. It is common these days for news headlines to be misaligned with the content of the article, but I don't know if that's the case here.

The idea of different surnames leading to increased crime is funny to me, though.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:03 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
It should be noted that some married Japanese women do, in practice, retain their original surnames in a professional capacity, and this applies in the go world, too. The problems arise only if an employer, or some outside body, interferes and demands use of the partner's name. In that case the law works against the woman. If there is no interference, the woman can continue safely. However, she may change her mind of her own accord for reasons such as having children and wanting the children to have the family name.

The case of men taking the woman's name upon marriage has also happened in the go world. The most typical case is when marrying into money or an inheritance, but often adoption is somewhere in the mix.

The oddest case I know personally under the heading of women trying to keep their original names was 60 years in the UK. It was a woman called Young from birth, and she decided she was going to keep that name upon marriage. But the only way to do that (then) was to marry a Mr Young. And she succeeded! They seemed to be a happy family, though the daughter, about 13, was easy-oozy about keeping the family name, and as she was an only child, that branch of the Youngs has presumably died out.