It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Japanese Title and League scene
Post #61 Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:55 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
This has become an unexpected topic. Let me add this:

https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/english/topics/12/topics2012_09.htm

Kobayashi Koichi's ceremony of his honorary titles when he turned 60. Obviously, he had won them many years before.

This is where I read the rules to get the honorary titles. 5 in a row or 10 overall and wait, OR 10 in a row and there you are.

Also, it is published in the NK website, with no reference to the sponsors, and with the same rules to all titles. Other than taking another name for the Honinbo, it's the same for all of them.

John's explanation raised another question, at least for me. The NK uses the term "honorary" in English. Until now, me too. But in Japanese, Cho Chikun is referred as 名誉名人 (Meiyo Meijin) and 25世本因坊治勲, with 世=lifetime, 本因坊=Honinbo, 治勲= Chikun. That is, the words are not the same. Kobayashi Koichi is Meiyo Kisei, Meijin and Gosei. Iyama, in his NK profile, is just "regular" Meijin, Honinbo, Gosei, Oza. My point is that perhaps the meaning of the title is slightly different, but the translation, how the NK calls it in English, is the same. That would be the reason for confusion.

As for calling yourself 25th Honinbo or not, or calling that too early, I don't see it happening in proper Japanese etiquette. You introduce yourself with your name, other people add -san, -sensei, -meijin or whatever. And you don't tell other people how to address to you. But you don't want to make a mistake with this.

Last edited by pajaro on Sat May 14, 2022 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #62 Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
The NK uses the term "honorary" in English.

In English there's a distinction between 'honorary Honinbo' and 'Honorary Honinbo'. One's a description, one's a title.

And if you really want to show off, it's 'an honorary X', not 'a honorary X'.

And and - it's 'honour' not 'honor' in the civilised world :)

Post #63 Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:21 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
CDavis7M wrote:
I see it on Fox. That was a wild game. That was the first of five games in S League. Takao Shinji always seems to make it to the final rounds of tournaments but I don't think he's challenged one in the past few years. Though Takao did take the Meijin title away from Iyama back in 2016... was that Takao taking away Iyama's 7th title?

He was one game away from becoming the challenger for the 45th Kisei but ranked by unofficial ratings he appears to be in a demotion spot in the league (tough being number 7 by rating). Anyway, beating Iyama is about 1/4 of the way to the challenger decision tournament. It is possible to qualify with few as 3 wins but 4 wins almost guarantees the 2nd spot, it depends on the exact tie breakers.

The unofficial ratings predict 24.4% win rate for Takao in this game. Somehow this seems unrealistically low to me :-? I wonder what the win rate will be in the May edition.

Post #64 Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:14 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
Game 1 of the 77th Honinbo title match between Iyama Yuta and Ichiriki Ryo started yesterday. The sponsor Mainichi Newpaper has a special section for this 77th Honinbo title match: https://mainichi.jp/honinbo/2022. Move 80 was sealed.

The on-stream AI did not like when Black (Iyama) moved out with 55, though the commentators were showing variations involving a jump out. I thought it was exciting. The game is already supposed to be difficult for Black but it looks like there will be plenty of fighting to do today.

I saw some new (to me) faces on the video commentary. Yamashiro Hiroshi 9-dan was there. He's had 15 titles and checking Sensei's I think they are not the major titles but the Nagoya branch tournament. Female player Sakakibara Fumiko from the Kansai Kiin was there also. And then Takao Shinji was there as scheduled. Tsukuda Akiko was with him -- she seems familiar. Hane Naoki showed up at some point. A bunch of people just wandering in.

The stream had a short video clip of the shrine/wedding venue. It was rainy.

https://mainichi.jp/articles/20220510/k ... 40/293000c

----------

One of the articles mentions the players visiting a monument to the 1st Honinbo, Sansa. I was doing a search and came upon a neat blog showing the grave sites of the Honinbo: https://hotyuweb.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-393.html

The blog also shows a picture of the building and plaque where the old Honinbo House used to stand before renters (accidentally?) burnt it down doing teppanyaki tricks.

Post #65 Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:44 pm 
Lives in gote

I think that so many people are showing up because this edition is special.

Iyama (Honinbo Monyu) won for the 10th time last year. If he wins again, he will surpass Cho Chikun, who also won 10 times in a row.

But the challenger is Ichiriki Ryo, new Kisei and probably the toughest opponent in Japan right now.

The toughest and the best? I don't know. When Ichiriki won the Kisei, it was early to call it "a new era", IMHO. But if he took the Honinbo too, then it may be not too early.

And Shibano is starting to look like a challenger for the Meijin.

Last edited by pajaro on Wed May 11, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by pajaro was liked by: Elom0

Post #66 Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:24 am 
Lives in gote

The first game of the Honinbo finished... what a game...

You can see it in youtube:

day 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxRxVZkIF3g

day 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS9kYzoU6Os

Lots of ko fights, very intense, impossible for me to know the outcome beforehand. And, in the end, there was also a half point that one player refused to play.

result:
Iyama won B+0.5

Post #67 Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:58 am 
Lives in sente

Yeah, wow! That was a difficult game for me to follow from the middle. And much of the ko fighting happened after their main time exhausted. I was not expecting such a close game given all of the fighting.

In other news, the 2022 Go Yearbook (囲碁年鑑 "Igo Nenkan") is being published this month.

This post by CDavis7M was liked by: Elom0

Post #68 Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:19 am 
Lives in sente

User "Allerleirauh" over at the OGS forums linked to some Tweets about that wild Honinbo match. I was wondering if it was the longest video stream yet since it was almost 12 hours long. It seemed like the 12 hour stream was causing YouTube to stutter because it was difficult to seek ahead in the video. There were lots of moves after the main time was over so maybe it was one of the longest games time-wise.

As for number of moves, apparently this was the longest Honinbo title match.
https://twitter.com/osakaigo/status/1524369681997795328
https://twitter.com/migodojo/status/1524380479104950278

As mentioned above, Takao Shinji was doing the commentary. Hane Naoki was also there, in and out, on both days. It was rainy the first day and foggy the next day. But it made for a nice photograph of Hane by 木葉健二 Konoha Kenji @kenji_konoha. https://twitter.com/kenji_konoha/status ... 8340581376

----------
Mainichi has provided their commentary by So Youkoku 9 dan (Su Yaoguo), who is familiar. The Nihon Kiin tournament page listed the newspaper commentator as Ogata Masaki, but So introduces himself in the comments and is listed on the page.
HTML commentary: https://mainichi.jp/honinbo/77-1spc/
SGF commentary: https://ugi.pandanet.co.jp/?key=honinbo-77-1c

Post #69 Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:51 am 
Lives in sente

Yo Seiki lost against Ichiriki Ryo in the final of the Gosei Tournament. I'm a bit bummed because I've been cheering for Yo Seiki.

But now Ichiriki Kisei has set himself in a position to fight to be on top of the Japanese Go world. If he can take the Honinbo and Gosei titles that leaves Iyama with the Meijin. I'm happy to see Ichiriki with the Kisei but still cheering for Iyama. Either way we will get great games out of them.

The Honinbo title match is scheduled through July. The Gosei is scheduled for the end of June through August. So there may be overlap but at least they will be back to back.

I'm waiting for the Ichiriki vs Iyama book to come out.

Post #70 Posted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:00 pm 
Lives in gote

Yo Seiki lost... at some point, I thought he would win.

He was in a good position to become the challenger in the Honinbo too, and he lost it. First to Shibano, then to Ichiriki. And in the Judan, he lost 0-3.

It was discussed around here, somewhere else, that some players had the strength and skill to be strong players, but not to win titles. They lack something. Kato Masao, until "something cliked", was like that. I am wondering if Yo Seiki is like this too. He fails in the crucial moments. Perhaps it's pressure. Or how to win a won game.

About Iyama vs. Ichiriki, we are going to see a lot of them in the next few months. But I'd like to see Iyama play different players. Hopefully, Shibano will challenge for the Meijin again.

Post #71 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:18 am 
Lives in gote

The second game of the Honinbo will start tomorrow (24th May).

Iyama won the first game after a looong fight. If he wins the second game, it would mean lots of trouble for Ichiriki. But 1-1 would be great for the fans. I don't expect this match to be short.

The funny thing with this game, at least for me, is that it's going to be played in a rugby stadium :D not on the field, of course, but you can see it from the playing room.

You can see some pictures here:

https://twitter.com/kenji_konoha/status/1528650876491268096

https://twitter.com/kenji_konoha/status/1528652292240842754

The picture with Iyama and Ichiriki, with the T-shirt and the rugby balls... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post #72 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:23 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
This is because Kumagaya City in Saitama is the main centre for rugby union in Japan, and is very proud that its rugby complex was chosen as a Rugby World Cup venue. Americans in particular might be surprised just how popular rugby is in Japan. They once even beat the Springboks, I think. Even the All-Blacks find that difficult! They will have their centenary soon, in 1926.

And, by coincidence, I am wearing a Scotland rugby shirt as I type this!

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom0

Post #73 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:45 am 
Lives in sente

Funny to see them in sports gear compared to their suits. Though now that I think about it, I believe I've Ichiriki rock climbing (bouldering) in a gym on a Twitter post. Several Japanese players climb. There was a picture of them solving tsumego during a break at the climbing gym.

The nice thing about climbing, like Go, is that females enjoy it too.

-----

Ah yeah, these pictures are by Konoha Kenji, same photographer that took the photo of Hane about. Seems like he covers many Go events for Mainichi.

-----

I'm a fan of Terayama Rei who is doing the large board commentary with Hoshiai Shiho. I'm not sure if any recordings of that will come online but if anyone finds one I'd appreciate it. Rin Kanketsu is doing the net commentary. He commented on the recent Gosei tournament final. I like his commentary a lot. More than some, I think he makes a conscious effort to slow down his speech and give a lesson.

Post #74 Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:01 pm 
Lives in sente

Iyama defended the Honinbo title! And he closed it out with 4 straight wins in the 7-game match. I'm actually disappointed to not get more games and live streams, but maybe its better for Iyama and Ichiriki because they are about to start their Gosei title match, which would have been overlapping with the remaining Honinbo title games. Iyama has held the title an unprecedented 11 consecutive (and total) terms. Cho Chikun held it 10 terms but also held it 12 times total. I wonder if Iyama will get to 13.

https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/honinbo/077.html

And he gets more obligatory finger-number photo. I tried to see if there was a word for this in Japanese. I couldn't find anything in general but I saw a caption on Mainichi saying that Iyama "made '11' with fingers."

Post #75 Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:01 pm 
Lives in sente

Iyama defended the Honinbo title! And he closed it out with 4 straight wins in the 7-game match. I'm actually disappointed to not get more games and live streams, but maybe its better for Iyama and Ichiriki because they are about to start their Gosei title match, which would have been overlapping with the remaining Honinbo title games. Iyama has held the title an unprecedented 11 consecutive (and total) terms. Cho Chikun held it 10 consecutive terms but also held it 2 times before for 12 total. I wonder if Iyama will get to 13.

https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/honinbo/077.html

And he gets more obligatory finger-number photo. I tried to see if there was a word for this in Japanese. I couldn't find anything in general but I saw a caption on Mainichi saying that Iyama "made '11' with fingers." I expect to see Iyama make more numbers with fingers. He's still on top.

Post #76 Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:10 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
CDavis7M wrote:
Several Japanese players climb. There was a picture of them solving tsumego during a break at the climbing gym.

The nice thing about climbing, like Go, is that females enjoy it too.

That’s really neat to learn. I have enjoyed climbing (though haven’t been in a while), and there is certainly a cerebral aspect that can appeal to go players. Obviously there is a significant physical aspect as well, but a bouldering problem has a lot in common with tsumego. Japan has some of the best sport bouldering climbers in the world, too, so it’s not surprising the sport is popular there.

———-

Congrats to Iyama; he’s been fun to follow over the last decade, and while I’m glad to see younger players do well it’s also fun to see his continued success.

Post #77 Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:47 am 
Lives in gote

It was not really surprising that Iyama won the match. But 4-0, is a bit disappointing to Ichiriki's fans. A 4-2 or so would have been better for me ;-)

After the game, Cho Chikun said that now that Iyama had the new record, he wanted him to extend it to 20 or so. Makes sense, if you beat me, please do it well :mrgreen: I didn't know that Cho Chikun had won the Honinbo twice before his 10 streak. Next year, we have hype again.

All very fun. What about the headlines about a new era after the kisei? Right now, Ichiriki reminds me of Ogata in Hikaru no Go, when he wins titles because the Meijin retires, and he feels that nobody really credits him.

Post #78 Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:52 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 117
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
Cho Chikun's career is impressive. And his character good for YouTube memes, and the odd smile. But what I find most inspiring is his career this century. A few months ago he played (47th Meijin group A) Fukuoka Kotaro, then 2p (now a rank higher), the teen sensation. Even if judging only for the stance, or the way he handles stones, he manages to give a feeling of control the vigor of the teenager can't (yet) match. Cho was winning major titles in his 50s. If we've had Shibano Toramaru as the first teenage Meijin, I think we've certainly had Chikun as the last "Golden Boy" Judan [*]. And I'm not aware of any other older player in the rest of major 7 any more recently. And it looks like he still simply enjoys it.

Take care.

[*] I was trying to remember the name of the recent widow, still playing pro, for a Golden Girl but, for the life of me, I can't remember or find it.

This post by Ferran was liked by: Elom0

Post #79 Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:46 pm 
Lives in gote

There is a tesuji that only Cho Chikun can play. Not Iyama, not AlphaGo, not Shin Jiseo. Only Cho Chikun.

if you don't know what I am talking about, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g62mOnoBTZM

As you say, he was Judan quite late in his career (and early too...). In 2007, at age 51.

And Kato Masao won the Honinbo in 2002, he was 55. This is a record quite hard to break.

Post #80 Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:52 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Ferran wrote:
Cho Chikun's career is impressive. And his character good for YouTube memes, and the odd smile. But what I find most inspiring is his career this century. A few months ago he played (47th Meijin group A) Fukuoka Kotaro, then 2p (now a rank higher), the teen sensation. Even if judging only for the stance, or the way he handles stones, he manages to give a feeling of control the vigor of the teenager can't (yet) match. Cho was winning major titles in his 50s. If we've had Shibano Toramaru as the first teenage Meijin, I think we've certainly had Chikun as the last "Golden Boy" Judan [*]. And I'm not aware of any other older player in the rest of major 7 any more recently. And it looks like he still simply enjoys it.

Take care.

[*] I was trying to remember the name of the recent widow, still playing pro, for a Golden Girl but, for the life of me, I can't remember or find it.

Suguichi Kazuko Sensei? Although Rui Naiwei was winning women's titles near her 50's.

pajaro wrote:
There is a tesuji that only Cho Chikun can play. Not Iyama, not AlphaGo, not Shin Jiseo. Only Cho Chikun.

if you don't know what I am talking about, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g62mOnoBTZM

As you say, he was Judan quite late in his career (and early too...). In 2007, at age 51.

And Kato Masao won the Honinbo in 2002, he was 55. This is a record quite hard to break.

That sounds like it should be an intro to a Cho Chikun movie: Tenacious: the Tiger of Go. Keeping the trend of intense one word titles for go history books or documentaries. A movie that begins with his tea. When AI can play THAT tesuji, then I'll consider them to have conquered go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next