It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amazon army
Post #241 Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
bugcat wrote:
Kato Chie will face less highly rated opponent Abe Yoshiki.

Takei has 276 GoR points over Moro. Abe has 163 over Kato.

Part of your plan collapsed. Abe won against Kato (B+2.5), so Ueno vs. Kato won't happen.

Played today too, Xie Yimin vs. Iwata Saeka 1-dan (Kansai Kiin) in the fist round of the Senko Cup. Iwata is not a new player (1-dan in 2017), but it's the first time I see her.

And also, Yoshida Mika (Kansai Kiin) 8-dan beat Nakazawa Ayako 5-dan in the female Honinbo.

A good day for the Kansai Kiin.

Post #242 Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:41 am 
Lives in gote

This weekend, the finals of the Tachioi Cup (Aidu Hospital Cup), with Kibe Natsuki 2-dan, Ueno Asami 4-dan, Suzuki Ayumi 7-dan and Okuda Aya 4-dan. They will play to decide the challenger to Fujisawa Rina.

This is the event where the 4 players dress in traditional clothes and take pictures, but don't play. I say "traditional clothes" because those aren't kimono. I want to say... hakama and...?

See:
https://twitter.com/KK_joryu/status/1527608207837138945

Post #243 Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:31 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
pajaro wrote:
This is the event where the 4 players dress in traditional clothes and take pictures, but don't play. I say "traditional clothes" because those aren't kimono. I want to say... hakama and...?

"Kimono" is a word that can have EXTREMELY wide meaning. That said, I think that's a furisode kimono with a non-split hakama. I think it's also the same kind of attire that's "traditionally" used for the current kyudo events in Kyoto.

Wiki

Take care

Post #244 Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:39 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 24
DGS: bugcat
Rina has been doing well in the Ryusei.

She's beaten Hirose Yuichi, Mutsuura Yuta and Adachi Toshimasa. They were all rated lower than her. Next she'll play against other opponents also rated lower: Kanazawa Hideo, Kim Sujun and Miyazawa Goro. The first higher rated player in her path is Takao Shinji.

So far, only three other players have managed to win three games in the Ryusei's win and continue format.

* Oomote Takuto, otherwise obscure, who got four before being beaten by Motoki Katsuya. This is probably his greatest achievement.
* Yo Chito (former Nongshim Cup player), still undefeated. Next to play against Rin Kanketsu.
* the prodigious Fukuoka Kotaro, inarguably the strongest Japanese sixteen year old and probably the strongest teenager in Japan. Eventually beaten by Sada Atsushi.

One time Shinjin O winner Onishi Ryuhei will probably make it to three wins by beating Yamada Takuji.

This post by bugcat was liked by: Elom0

Post #245 Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:03 am 
Lives in gote

The Hoban Cup started today. As John explained in the Sumire thread, this is team competition, similar to the Nongshim Cup.

Japan's representatives are Fujisawa, Ueno, Suzuki, Yi Min and Nakamura.

In the first game, Nakamura vs. Wu Yimin 3-dan (China), the Army lost the first fighter.

Let's see how long until the general has to step in.

This post by pajaro was liked by: Elom0

Post #246 Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:52 am 
Dies with sente

> Wu Yimin

According to every online source, the reading is Yiming (铭, second tone).

Apologies if it was a typo, just wanted people to be able to find her.

Wu Yiming's given name is 依铭, Xie Yimin's is 依旻 (also second tone).

This post by bugcat was liked by: Elom0

Post #247 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:41 am 
Lives in gote

I can see Yiming in goratings.

But Xie Yimin (they use the same character), uses "Yimin", without a "g". I have seen "Yi Min" too, in the NK. I find it's complicated, at least for me, to follow all the possible romanizations.

That said, she played today again, and won. Against the first Korean player. I don't know her name.

Next is Suzuki Ayumi.

Post #248 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:44 am 
Dies with sente

pajaro, I think one of us is missing something.

I said in my last post

Quote:
Wu Yiming's given name is 依铭, Xie Yimin's is 依旻 (also second tone).

but you replied

Quote:
they use the same character

铭 is not 旻. This information comes from Sensei's Library, but I could check it against Wikidata if you'd like.

Do you have a citation for them using the same second character? The 依 is irrelevant, since it's the "yi".

Post #249 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:05 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
铭 is not 旻.

The problem is that people unfamiliar with the various CJK languages are using a mish-mash of internet sources and not knowing how to discriminate. This is especially common on SL.

Here the problem is that Japanese transcribes both these characters as ミン and certain people are evidently transcribing that into English as 'min'. In other words they are going from Japanese > English instead of Chinese > English. Chinese has both 'min' and 'ming'. Japanese has only 'min' (though it sounds rather like 'ming' when they say it!).

To see the problems Japanese have if they try to transcribe Xie Yimin's, I have collected the following variants: Sha Iimin, She Imin and Shei Imin (not to mention the English variants Hsieh Yi-min and Hsieh Yi Min, the latter giving rise to Miss Min etc.

It is definitely Wu Yiming with a G by the way. And a reminder that she is the youngest female pro in Chinese history. She will be 16 in December, so has a couple of years on Sumire, who turned 13 in March. Their Korean counterpart, Kim Eun-chi will be 15 later this week (27 May).

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom0

Post #250 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:40 am 
Lives in gote

I meant 依. They both have it

But it's right that I am not sure what I am talking about. I know that Japanese kanji aren't always readed the same. I thought that in Chinese, the reading is always the same. But I might be wrong.

Besides, Xie Yimin(g) is Taiwanese, and Wu Yimin(g) is Chinese. Chinese is not the same everywhere.

All in all, a mess. I try to do my best with names, but when it comes to details, I am lost. So from now on, this kind of discussion is clearly off-limits for me.

Post #251 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:30 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
I knew there were different ways to write Chinese and Japanese using latin characters (roman characters) but I never paid much attention to the particulars until seeing some discussion on Sensei's Library. The process is called "transliteration" and there are different systems to use where the obvious difference is which latin characters correspond to which Chinese/Japanese characters. But you can't just take the individual symbols and swap for latin characters because there are other rules to be followed. Like, when when to drop or combine characters. And then there's possible confusion because "we" (L19 and SL) don't often use the formal transliteration showing which sounds are long, we just type with the usual keyboard.

And of course, with Japanese professionals we are not actually transliterating the kanji character itself but the pronunciation of that character in Japanese. Leading to all the variations that Fairbairn mentioned. Though I like idea of "Ms. Min."

----------

I could keep going on and on about the confusion I have, and others too it seems, with these transliteration systems. But at least I will point out that there is the same problem in reverse. There is strict standard for writing Western names with Japanese characters. Western names can be written using Japanese katakana characters, but not all sounds can be made using Japanese. I am unclear on the history but apparently there is a way to add additional sounds to katakana by combining characters in a way that is not normal for Japanese people and which does not correspond to hiragana (having the same sounds as katakana but just written differently.).

For instance: "CDavis" could be thought of as "C. Davis" and written as "C. デービス" (sometimes I see the English first name left as a latin character like this). And デービス could be transliterated as "deebisu," having a long "e" and likely the "u" dropped or deemphasized. But there is a way to get a "v" sound from katakana using "ヴィ" which is the katakana for "u" with the datuken slashes added, which mean to "vocalize" the sound. And the small ィ means to combine the "i" sound into the preceding sound. So then you get deevisu. But apparently many Japanese can't or can't be bothered to make the V sound. But I can't complain because I still don't understand exactly how to make the "r/l" sound which sometimes sounds like a "d" sound... and the "n" sound is sometimes more like a "ng" sound. And I still don't know when and why Japanese smooshes or drops the "u" or changes "shi" to "sh" and so on.

Anyway, I'm sure some Japanese people are confused and unhappy with how their name looks in Latin characters just like we are confused in the opposite way.

At the end of the day I'm just thankful for Sensei's Library having a ton of information and a pretty good search tool so that I can find the player's actual name from the discussion here and elsewhere.

Post #252 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:59 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 37
Was liked: 15
pajaro wrote:
That said, she played today again, and won. Against the first Korean player. I don't know her name.

Lee Suljoo 1p

Post #253 Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:14 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
gazzawhite wrote:
pajaro wrote:

Lee Suljoo 1p

Who is she playing today?!

Okuda Aya seems to do well in the Aidu Cup. She won against Suzuki Ayumi.

Post #254 Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:21 am 
Lives in gote

Elom0 wrote:

Xie Yimin... and won again.

Three games in a row. I think this already means some prize for her.

For the fans, this is getting either very interesting or very boring.

Post #255 Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 am 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
pajaro wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

Xie Yimin... and won again.

For the fans, this is getting either very interesting or very boring.

Wow this is extremely exiting. Wu Yiming up to this point hasn't had so many chances to play international games so it's good to finally see her chance to shine. Of course it's sad she won't be play Kim Eunji. She beat Xie Yimin in top form!!!

Post #256 Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:40 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 8
pajaro wrote:

I don't know anything about what prizes the tournament gives, but it looks like her win again Xie Yimin ranked her up to 4p. Her rank on fox during the game with Yimin was 3p, but in the game she lost vs Kim (not Eunji) today, she's listed as 4p. That's something. :)

Post #257 Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:17 pm 
Lives in gote

Right. In WBaduk (must be the same, after all), she is 4 d too.

She lost to Kim Cheayoun 7d, Korea's second player.

Taking down 3 rivals... it's really something.

Last edited by pajaro on Fri May 27, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #258 Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:18 pm 
Lives in sente

pajaro wrote:
Right. In WBaduk (must be the same, after all), she is 4 d too.

She lost to Kim Cheayoun 7d, Korea's second player.

Taking down 3 rivals... it's really something.

Well Kim Cheayoung is really hard to beat . . .

Post #259 Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:26 pm 
Lives in gote

I was editing my previous post, but ELom0 had already answered, so I continue here...

According to this:

https://twitter.com/KK_joryu/status/1530120996552060930

Fujisawa Rina is next. I thought she would be the last Jp player. Is this a change of strategy?

Post #260 Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:32 pm 
Lives in sente

pajaro wrote:
I was editing my previous post, but ELom0 had already answered, so I continue here...

According to this:

https://twitter.com/KK_joryu/status/1530120996552060930

Fujisawa Rina is next. I thought she would be the last Jp player. Is this a change of strategy?

It's probably due to the fact that Ueno won the Senko Cup, winning against her in the semifinals . . . So they must have thought her form in international tournaments is better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next