It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amazon army
Post #341 Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
Some interesting games today.

First, Fujisawa Rina played Rin Kanketsu 8-dan (=1/2 Tsururin) in their first game of the Judan (2nd round, actually). She won in 145 moves after some killing. A good win, I think. Rin has played in the Meijin, Honinbo and B Kisei leagues. This is one of those results that make me think that Rina has the level to play in the leagues. Someday, I hope.

In the female Meijin league, Sumire beat Xie Yimin. The challenger of last year made a good start in the race to the challenge again. Just 10 days ago, they had another game (B prelim, Oza) and Xie won. Sumire seems to be catching up to Xie.

Also, the prelims for the Shinjin O have started. Ueno Risa 2-dan won her first game against Shou Gyokuyo 1-dan (Japanese reading). In this tournament, btw, Fujisawa, Nakamura, Ueno, Hoshiai, Nyu are seeded. So at least 5 Amazonians will take part.

This post by pajaro was liked by: Elom0

Post #342 Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:38 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Xie Yimin played Shibano Toramanu in the NHK Cup. She also has the accolade of being a guest pro commentator in the previous NHK Cup!

Post #343 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:05 am 
Lives in gote

An important game today for Fujisawa Rina.

Last game of prelim A, she won against Yi Shu Lee (Taiwanese name) 8-dan. Gets a seat in the main event.

She is back to the gosei after a few years. I didn't know she had played in it before, but she played in #48 and #47, losing in the first round both times.

Better luck this year.

Ueno Asami, on the other hand, also played in this final prelim, but lost to Huang Yih Tzuu 9-dan (also Taiwanese name). The commander left the general alone in battle.

Post #344 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:15 am 
Lives in gote

Fujisawa Rina, female Honinbo one more year.

Today it was the 3rd game of the match, against Ueno Asami. This one was close, half moku for Rina (the queen of 1/2 mokus, they say). Surprisingly close, because white (Ueno) lost a group in the corner, and I didn't see compensation for that loss. But I am at home and they are playing. Makes sense...

The second game of the match was very bad, according to Ueno, but this one was better. I always feel sorry for the loser when the result is one-sided. But Rina shows very little weaknesses in the female Japanese scene.

Post #345 Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:53 pm 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Ueno sisters play in the female Meijin League

Post #346 Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:17 am 
Lives in gote

Elom0 wrote:

And the winner is... the one you are thinking ;-)

I didn't watch the stream (for once, I had work outside home). But I went through the video and took a look here and there. And the one that didn't win was sometimes ahead.

So... is there a gap between them? Yeah, sure. And for some time, expect it to be there.
Was the game one sided? Not as much as I expected.
The fact that they know each other, and surely have played a lot before was important? Obviously, yes.

I expect one of the sisters to be a candidate to the challenge, and the other one to be a candidate to keep her seat. Or at least, die trying.

Post #347 Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
I'm really behind on my Go news lately (about 2 and a half weeks behind) but I remembered to order a copy of Go Waarudo 碁ワールド and I saw that Nyu Eiko actually made the cover! I was giving up hope, especially seeing Ueno Asami on last month's cover.

I see Baduk TV covering many female events as well. I have to imagine that all of this coverage/promotion is helping to bring in new/young players. I'd be interested to see any numbers on this.

Post #348 Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:57 pm 
Lives in gote

CDavis7M wrote:
I saw that Nyu Eiko actually made the cover!

I have seen this photo before.

For games played in the Kiin, most games are commented from the same press room, and there is always promotional stuff in the background. This photo has been there too, so we could have guessed that Nyu would make it to the cover.

Edit: I just checked in the last Ueno vs. Ueno stream, and it actually says Go World in katakana. So it's not just "it will make it to the cover". It's guessing the past.

Post #349 Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:51 pm 
Lives in sente

CDavis7M wrote:
Hey everyone, Rina's Honinbo game to qualify for the final league is live now. Good luck to her.

https://youtu.be/yfKeNKOpX3Y

I think Tsuruyama is also playing to make the league today. Good luck to him too.

--------------

Results of the YouTube chat poll:

Who are you rooting for?

Fujisawa Rina 5 Dan (84%)
Otake Yu 6 Dan (8%)
Nishioka Masasuke 3 Dan (Record Keeper) (7%)

Shibano Toramanu, ever the nice guy pro, predictably said on his Twitter that he wants both of them to win!

Well, Fujisawa Rina lost then, but she's just kept her place in the Kisei C-League

Post #350 Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:54 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
The women legends tournament is also ongoing. I don't know if the games are relayed live, maybe on the igo shogi channel, but someone is uploading quick playthroughs on youtube.

True fans can test themselves and see if they can recall all the legends :tmbup:

Post #351 Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:48 pm 
Lives in sente

Two Live Streams of the 2nd Fumakilla Tournament!

Post #352 Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:52 am 
Lives in gote

I just watched the first stream. It was the draw, to decide the pairings. Quite interesting:

- Fujisawa vs. Ueno. When Ueno picked the ball, she couldn't hide her surprise. She said what I think is the Japanese version of "Cooooome oooooon!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
- Sumire vs. Xie. They have played twice in the last few days (one win each). Interesting game. Also, I noticed that in her speech, Xie referred to Sumire as sensei (I expected san).
- Mannami vs. Mannami. The Mannami sisters (Nao and Kana) aren't usually here. But they are playing in the tournament, and fate wanted one of them in the next round. Both are 4 dan. I have no clue about who is favorite.

In the background, Rin Kanketsu was commenting in Chinese. Because Joanne Missingham, 7-dan from Taiwan, is there too. When she gave her speech, Rin translated (although she said she is studying Japanese).

An 8th lady talked too. Perhaps they will play each other, to make 8 players. But I am just assuming, because in the description of the stream, there are only 7 players.

Edit: The games have begun. I can see that the 8th player is Yasuda Akika 1-dan. She's playing Joanne Missingham. It looks like a game between guests. Yasuda is not even in the poster.

Post #353 Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:25 am 
Lives in sente

pajaro wrote:
I just watched the first stream. It was the draw, to decide the pairings. Quite interesting:

- Fujisawa vs. Ueno. When Ueno picked the ball, she couldn't hide her surprise. She said what I think is the Japanese version of "Cooooome oooooon!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
- Sumire vs. Xie. They have played twice in the last few days (one win each). Interesting game. Also, I noticed that in her speech, Xie referred to Sumire as sensei (I expected san).
- Mannami vs. Mannami. The Mannami sisters (Nao and Kana) aren't usually here. But they are playing in the tournament, and fate wanted one of them in the next round. Both are 4 dan. I have no clue about who is favorite.

In the background, Rin Kanketsu was commenting in Chinese. Because Joanne Missingham, 7-dan from Taiwan, is there too. When she gave her speech, Rin translated (although she said she is studying Japanese).

An 8th lady talked too. Perhaps they will play each other, to make 8 players. But I am just assuming, because in the description of the stream, there are only 7 players.

Edit: The games have begun. I can see that the 8th player is Yasuda Akika 1-dan. She's playing Joanne Missingham. It looks like a game between guests. Yasuda is not even in the poster.

Fujisawa Sensei drew number 1 and Ueno Sensei drew number 2 . . . Weird

Hold music ratings⬆️
1Fumakilla Women's Go Brains Match
2BadukTV Nongshim Cup
3BsdukTV Samsung Cup

Fast games are Ueno Asami's speciality, while Fujisawa Rina has the advantage in long games like the Honinbo

Xie Yimin is not quite as strong in her Younger days. Sumire is almost as strong as she used to be

I haven't actually seen the Mannami sisters play

Joanne Missingham is playing an exhibition match with Yasuda Akika, I realise that they're probably using the Japanese pronunciation of the Kanji in her Chinese name. So she has three names to remember.

Golly these are fast matches. I blinked and they're already near the endgame.

edit: Xie Yimin won

Last edited by Elom0 on Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #354 Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:04 am 
Lives in gote

Nope, Sumire won. And Rina won too.

The exhibition game has different time conditions: 5x60 sec byo-yomi, while the others are 1x10 sec.

Joanne is expected to win, I guess, and she will be in 2nd round. Again, I guess.

And Kana won while I was writing this...

Last edited by pajaro on Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #355 Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:14 am 
Lives in sente

Day

Fujisawa Rina Female Honinbo v Hei Jiaji 7p
Nakamure Sumire 3p v Hayuma(Mannami) Kana 4p

Post #356 Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Fujisawa beat Joanna, and Sumire beat Kana. Expected results, I think.

It's interesting to watch the one with Rin Kanketsu translating. :mrgreen:
Do you know the old nature documentaries? With David Attenborough, for example? You see the images, and his voice talking. In Spain, they were not dubbed, like a movie. You can hear the original voice in the background, and the voice in Spanish over it. Well... this sounds the same :lol:

Looking forward to see Sumire fight Rina in a fast game. :salute:

Post #357 Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:12 am 
Lives in gote

Tournament is over.

Fujisawa beat Nakamura, again.

It was an interesting game, with big exchanges and a huge ko in the end. Too bad Sumire didn't have threats to fight it. Otherwise, it would have been a great victory. From what I could see, without threats there were other things she could have played. But in a fast game, you don't have time to calculate everything.

And she went for the fight.

It wasn't an official game, but even so, you could see disappointment in her face. That's the Cho Chikun spirit we talked about.

Post #358 Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Several Amazonians played in the Wakagoi tournament last weekend. One of them, Ueno Asami, was the winner. There were some messages in another thread.

What I wanted to show now is this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_OvjOYFnA

It's part of the broadcast of the second day. Ueno Rina 2-dan, Nakamura Sumire 2-3 dan (see the video to understand this) and Fujisawa Rina 5-dan make some comments.
I found the atmosphere quite amusing. Although they are serious and fight when they play, here there was nothing at stake (the three of them were already out of the tournament). YOu can see them making comments, laughing... It's a pity that they still wear masks, because I don't always know who is speaking.

Last edited by pajaro on Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #359 Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:55 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
I understand the sentiment, but I am very glad that they wear masks.

This post by Harleqin was liked by: Elom0

Post #360 Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:59 am 
Lives in gote

We have been following other tournaments, but lost track of the female kisei. At least me.

Semifinals were played today. Sumire beat Mukai Chiaki after a large kill. This is becoming a pattern for Sumire.
In the other game, Rina beat Xie Yimin. There were some exchanges, and I thought that Xie wasn't doing bad. But she resigned. A group, that I thought had been rescued, was actually dead.

So the final will be Fujisawa vs. Nakamura, next week (day 8). I still think that Rina is favorite, but the odds are closer than in last year's female Meijin match. We'll see. The winner will challenge Ueno Asami in a best of 3 match.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next