It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Xie Yimin Promoted to 7d!
Post #41 Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:42 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
At the risk of belabouring my own points, I'll venture to make a couple of points.

Quote:
I'm going to return to these other interests, even if it reduces some efficiency I would have if I just focused on Go.

No, that will never reduce efficiency. Efficiency here is defined as being able to read whatever you want to read (as opposed to what a teacher or text book tells you to read). If you want to read about go alone, fine. If you want to read about go+cars, that's just as fine. It may even be better, because on the principle that nothing is ever wasted, you may find that the car world gives you insights about the go world, and vice versa.

Quote:
As for 6 or 7 contexts, I don't know if this is exactly the same, but I've been recognizing characters used for Go in other contexts, but with different meanings. It would be better if the context were Go and I think that should be possible.

Following on from the above. it is exactly the same. When I was learning languages, the internet was not available and finding multiple contexts was not easy in a town that had one bookshop which did not stock language books or foreign-language dictionaries (you had to order them and wait weeks, but finding out first that they even existed was a real challenge). But the internet does exist now, so I can give you a super tip. When you want to learn ABOUT a word (note I always instinctively make a distinction between 'learn' and 'learn about'), a good way to start is to do a google search on it and chose "Images". You get all sorts of nuances and unexpected meanings, and the visual impact makes learning easier. You can refine it usefully sometimes by adding 碁.

This can be eye-opening for anyone. For example, to get a sense of the relationship between 厚み and 厚さ thicknesses, do a couple of searches: 厚み + 碁 and 厚さ + 碁. Ask yourself why you don't get more or less identical results. Then try influence: 勢力 + 碁.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: CDavis7M, Ferran, Harleqin

Post #42 Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:17 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
John Fairbairn wrote:
At the risk of belabouring my own points, I'll venture to make a couple of points.
No risk -- much appreciated!
John Fairbairn wrote:
This can be eye-opening for anyone. For example, to get a sense of the relationship between 厚み and 厚さ thicknesses, do a couple of searches: 厚み + 碁 and 厚さ + 碁. Ask yourself why you don't get more or less identical results. Then try influence: 勢力 + 碁.

...from what I can tell from google images (helpful) and a dictionary (not helpful), 厚み is important to consider when playing Go stones while 厚さ is important to consider when buying Go stones. Though I checked Kurokigoishiten and their websites states "正味厚み" for stones and "厚み" for boards. I don't understand why 厚み is a game term and 厚さ is not, but 厚み has a secondary definition of "profundity; depth" while 厚さ is limited to the first definition of "thickness". Luckily I am not the first to wonder about this and "厚さ vs 厚み" yielded answers from the internet which might be found in a better dictionary. 厚さ is thickness of an object, like numerical thickness in mm and cm, while 厚み can refer to a feeling of thickness or depth -- sensory. In learning this, I found a dictionary that said as much.

Searching for 厚 alone, I learned about women's lips (lipstick), which led me to 厚化粧 (makeup), and then I circled back to Jisho.org for more words using 厚 and discovered 厚着, which had my favorite image. Thanks for the neat idea. I don't think I can forget 厚み now. My homework assignment is attached, Professor Fairbairn.

Last edited by CDavis7M on Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #43 Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:49 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
Quote:
厚み is a game term and 厚さ is not

It very much is! The trajectory of many games can be viewed as turning atsumi into atsusa. Cho Chikun is especially fond of this. Atsusa is also implied in the use of atsui in the endgame.

See Go Wisdom, which will take you to the next part of the adventure - walls. Which brick do you have to push to proceed further?

Post #44 Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:49 pm 
Lives in sente

John Fairbairn wrote:
It very much is! The trajectory of many games can be viewed as turning atsumi into atsusa. Cho Chikun is especially fond of this. Atsusa is also implied in the use of atsui in the endgame.
Yeah, I guess territory is really just 厚さ "thickness", especially when counting at the end.
John Fairbairn wrote:
See Go Wisdom, which will take you to the next part of the adventure - walls. Which brick do you have to push to proceed further?
Well, I only have Teenage Meijin with Go Wisdom. But I discovered teastui and also I learned from Go Seigen that it will take a lot of moves to kill a 3-stone wall.

Thanks for all the tips.

Post #45 Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:41 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
For those fans who do not know, the expected Yimin vs. Atsushi, for a seat in the Meijin league, was played.
Sadly (for most people here ;-) ) Yimin lost. B+2.5
I think it was quite an even game. Both players put up a good fight, but somehow, in the second half of the game she started struggling and Atsushi had more control of the game.

Post #46 Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:59 am 
Lives in sente

pajaro wrote:
For those fans who do not know, the expected Yimin vs. Atsushi, for a seat in the Meijin league, was played.
Sadly (for most people here ;-) ) Yimin lost. B+2.5
I think it was quite an even game. Both players put up a good fight, but somehow, in the second half of the game she started struggling and Atsushi had more control of the game.
Thanks for the update. I went to bed and then when I checked the stream in the morning it was cut short.

A new video with the post game was added recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Rs6tOjTFk

Post #47 Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:39 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 4
GD Posts: 26
IGS: MoxElliot
OGS: MoxElliot
A good game by Xie Yimin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHik-o70JKc&t=6723s

I don't speak Japanese but looked like a "Strongest Female" type competition. She played against Sumire Nakamura and there was a post-game commentary with both players. YouTube auto-translate leaves a lot to be desired, but I could understand a bit through context.

One of the prizes was a bottle of Armand de Brignac champagne, so fortunately it went to a player who is over 21!

"For we are like tree trunks in the snow. In appearance they lie smoothly and a little push should be enough to set them rolling. No, it can't be done, for they are firmly wedded to the ground. But see, even that is only appearance." Kafka

Post #48 Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:30 pm 
Lives in sente

MoxElliot wrote:
Wow! That venue is such a stark contrast to some of the other tournament venues. Very clean and modern... and on top of a swimming pool.

Post #49 Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:54 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
[quote="CDavis7M"]Very clean and modern... and on top of a swimming pool.[\quote]

The guy who has to take care of the gobans must be wishing death.

Wood, humidity... nothing to be worried about :mrgreen:

BTW: notice the foot lift ;-)

Post #50 Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 155
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
pajaro wrote:
The guy who has to take care of the gobans must be wishing death.

Wood, humidity... nothing to be worried about

It's a country with typhoons. I dare say an indoors swimming pool is not the most humid environment these boards will see (or might have seen, if they're not brand new). Specially if it's only for the match, have been properly waxed and get dried and allowed to breathe afterwards.

Take care.