Post #1 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:17 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 155
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
Guys,

Does anyone know where this is covered? I've found something in the French biography on Cho Chikun, a bit at Nordic Go Dojo's public videos, and at Cornel Burzo's channel. Are there any more sources?

Thanks. Take care.

Post subject: Re: 7th kisei commentary
Post #2 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
What do you want, exactly? The games commented? Some background history?

Post #3 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:58 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
The English Go World in issues 30 and 31 covered all the title games in depth.

For those wondering what is being asked about, here is the intro from the GoGoD tournament database:

Quote:
A new Kisei at last emerged as Cho Chikun edged out Fujisawa Hideyuki in a 7-game thriller that had ¥23 million at stake. Cho went 0-3 down before roaring back. The only time such a comeback had occurred in a top title match was in Term 12 of the Old Meijin in 1973 when Rin Kaiho shocked Ishida Yoshio.

Fujisawa had used his charisma to boost the Kisei's image. By repeated use of catch phrases such as "the Kisei is my life" and "match of the century", or the "match to decide Japan's true No. 1", he made sure these games were the focus of attention. He welcomed the challenge of "Chikun-chan" like the arrival of a long-awaited lover, and praised the youngster's ability to fight as if in another dimension. But, still, the Kisei was Fujisawa.

For the first three games that was obvious. But Game 4 was the turning point. Cho ended up with a group that was probably dead but Fujisawa strangely allowed it to live in simple fashion, even though he had a big time advantage with 2 hours 42 minutes left. In Game 4 of Term 2, 1-3 down to Kato Masao, he had spent three hours reading out the way to kill a big group, but this time he seemed not to have the appetite. The momentum shifted to Cho in a big way, and when Fujisawa lost Game 7 through two of his trademark poka blunders in the endgame, it was obvious that Fujisawa was no longer the Kisei.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Ferran

Post #4 Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 155
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
John Fairbairn wrote:
The English Go World in issues 30 and 31 covered all the title games in depth.

Thank you. I'm actually opening my copy for this. I had most of the magazines from back when you'd find FTPs of scans, then managed to buy it some years ago... But I kept using the old files. And it's still taking me a strange effort to open it. People are weird.

Thank you. Take care

Post #5 Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:34 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
I stumbled upon a link to this NHK World documentary on Fujisawa Hideyuki ("Shuko") that someone on OGS forums mentioned a while ago. This video released shortly after his death. It shows Shuko capturing Kato's large group as mentioned above, which is how I remembered this post.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwtiNm8K50Q

The documentary is dubbed in English though it drops the go terminology heard in the background. There are interviews with his wife, Murakawa Daisuke, Takao Shinji, Takemiya Masaki, and Cho Hun-hyeon. Takemiya also explains Go philosophy.

Two of Fujisawa's mottos were discussed in the documentary, including the one he wrote on his deathbed, but neither is the one on his fan.

Also, apparently holding Go stones frequently at a young age can stunt growth in your index finger so that it's even shorter than your pinky :shock: