All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choi Jeong aka Choi Jung
Post #1 Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:51 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
The LG Cup begins in not too long and she might get a seed and the Samsung Cup begins in august so we'll see if she can make the quarterfinals of any of these Korean tournaments.

Her dominance over female Korean pros based on her recent WKBL performance is similar to that of Shin Jinseo over Korean pros in his recent KBL performance

Last edited by Elom0 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Choi Jung
Post #2 Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:23 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Just checking rough overall stats, Shin Jinseo has a win rate of 76.98% out of 797 games - not sure exactly what's included in that set, and Choi Jeong has a win rate of 68.91% out of 923 games.
http://www.baduk.or.kr/record/player/10000735
http://www.baduk.or.kr/record/player/10000580

I don't have stats on the games only against other females, but there's an article from March that says she's been the #1 ranked female in Korea for over 100 months, now: https://woman.donga.com/BestClick/3/all/12/3270328/1

The interview also brings up Choi Jeong's victory over Shin Jinseo in November for the Samsung Cup. As a side note, she's also interested in basketball and karaoke (among some other things).

Admirable go player, in any case.

This post by Kirby was liked by: Elom0

Post #3 Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:42 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 37
Was liked: 15
Elom0 wrote:
The LG Cup begins in not too long and she might get a seed and the Samsung Cup begins in august so we'll see if she can make the quarterfinals of any of these Korean tournaments.

The LG Cup field has already been determined. Choi Jeong did not qualify, she lost to Cho Hanseung in the final round of the Korean qualifiers. The wildcard went to Kang Dongyun.

Kirby wrote:
Just checking rough overall stats, Shin Jinseo has a win rate of 76.98% out of 797 games - not sure exactly what's included in that set, and Choi Jeong has a win rate of 68.91% out of 923 games.
http://www.baduk.or.kr/record/player/10000735
http://www.baduk.or.kr/record/player/10000580

Every tournament and league game is included in their overall stats. Pair go and exhibition games are not counted.

Kirby wrote:
The interview also brings up Choi Jeong's victory over Shin Jinseo in November for the Samsung Cup.

The article mentions her victory in the KB League over Park Junghwan (who beat Shin Jinseo in November in the Samsung Cup). Choi Jeong herself has never beaten Shin Jinseo.

This post by gazzawhite was liked by: Elom0

Post #4 Posted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:32 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
gazzawhite wrote:

Kirby wrote:
The interview also brings up Choi Jeong's victory over Shin Jinseo in November for the Samsung Cup.

The article mentions her victory in the KB League over Park Junghwan (who beat Shin Jinseo in November in the Samsung Cup). Choi Jeong herself has never beaten Shin Jinseo.

Thanks - you are correct. I read it too quickly and made a mistake.

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: Elom0, gazzawhite

Post #5 Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:48 am 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Kirby wrote:
gazzawhite wrote:

Kirby wrote:

Thanks - you are correct. I read it too quickly and made a mistake.

Haha, only pro's Iyama Yuta Level or stronger can beat Shin Jinseo. But then that's level you have to be to win international titles these days!

Post #6 Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:56 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
Just checking rough overall stats, Shin Jinseo has a win rate of 76.98% out of 797 games

Obviously Sin Chin-seo is a remarkable player, but just for a bit of context, Yi Ch'ang-ho scored 87% in 1990, 83% in 1993, 83% in 1995, 84% in 1999 and 83% in 2000. Not to mention scores higher than Sin in other years. Yi was, of course, for nearly all that time involved in many, many title-match games against the very best available opponents (domestic and international).

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 2 people: Elom0, gazzawhite

Post #7 Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:27 am 
Lives in sente

Choi Jung won all her games in the Korean baduk League and if I'm not mistaked Shin Jinseo did the same in his league. Although both their teams didn't manage to win, haha.

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
Just checking rough overall stats, Shin Jinseo has a win rate of 76.98% out of 797 games

Obviously Sin Chin-seo is a remarkable player, but just for a bit of context, Yi Ch'ang-ho scored 87% in 1990, 83% in 1993, 83% in 1995, 84% in 1999 and 83% in 2000. Not to mention scores higher than Sin in other years. Yi was, of course, for nearly all that time involved in many, many title-match games against the very best available opponents (domestic and international).

Maye Choi Jung can be to Shin Jinseo what Rui Naiwei was to Lee Chango.

Or maybe she should just study Iyama Yuta and Ichiriki Ryo games :lol:!

Post #8 Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:05 am 
Lives in sente

The women's Korean Baduk League has just begun. Given that Choi Jung won all her games last year, perhaps it might be better to not play her too often to give the other players experience in holding the team.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:11 am 
Dies in gote

Elom0 wrote:
The women's Korean Baduk League has just begun. Given that Choi Jung won all her games last year, perhaps it might be better to not play her too often to give the other players experience in holding the team.

Choi Jeong lost her first game in this year's league, losing to Kim Soojin 6p.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:24 am 
Lives in sente

gazzawhite wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

Why did she lose?

Post #11 Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:51 pm 
Dies in gote

Elom0 wrote:
gazzawhite wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

Why did she lose?

Here is an explanation.

This post by gazzawhite was liked by: Elom0

Post #12 Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:26 am 
Lives in sente

Choi Jung Played Kim Eunji in the Final of the Samsung Cup Qualifiers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDToFRW_vXw

Post #13 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:00 pm 
Dies in gote

Elom0 wrote:

Choi Jeong played every round and yet her team failed to make the playoffs. They finished 5th (out of 8) in the regular season.

Post subject: Re: General Choi Jung / Choi Jeong and her Korean Women's AR
Post #14 Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:14 am 
Lives in sente

gazzawhite wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

Choi Jeong played every round and yet her team failed to make the playoffs. They finished 5th (out of 8) in the regular season.

Choi Jung has been in a slump since her loss in the Senko Cup, and looks physically tired in games. But she beat Sada Atsushi in the Samsung Cup. If she beats Ichiriki Ryo in the next round and doesn't seem exhausted in her quarterfinal match, then that would be proof that she's back in form!

Post subject: Re: General Choi Jung / Choi Jeong and her Korean Women's AR
Post #15 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:49 pm 
Lives in sente

So far Choi Jung/Choi Jeong has . . .

Attachment:
Screenshot_20221104-073346.png
Screenshot_20221104-073346.png [ 798.55 KiB | Viewed 3541 times ]

Made the final of the Samsung Cup! A first for any woman player too!

Full commentary of all her games in the tournament so far tomorrow.