It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mister Three Ears turns 70
Post #1 Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:28 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
I was rather taken aback today to read that Iron Goalkeeper Nie Weiping turned 70 recently. If you'd asked me to give an instant response to "How old is he?" I'd have said "50 plus?"

The explanation I think is that so much of his prime was lost to the Cultural Revolution. So, he had in a sense, a short career, which in turn made him seem younger than he is. He also learned go a little later than most top players, at age 9.

For the young whippersnappers here, Nie is the only player to get promoted from 0-dan to 9-dan (in 1982, when China adopted pro grades). He had first come to prominence domestically in youth events in 1963, but internationally he became familiar for winning the 1st World Amateur title in 1976. In those days professionals could be amateurs, too :).

He had the benefit of being groomed by the Chinese Communist Party, through the personal intervention of Deputy PM Chen Yi, the first Chinese to be indicted into the Nihon Ki-in's Hall of Fame. He was also lucky in being singled out for special instruction by Fujisawa Hideyuki of Japan.

The Party help was partly in the form of being instructed by the veteran master Guo Tisheng, who was the first national champion in 1956. Guo moved in with the Nie family, so may be the most celebrated case of a live-in teacher!

At age 19, Nie suffered badly during the Cultural Revolution, probably because of his association Chen Yi, who also suffered cruelly. Nie was sent to a farm in remote Heilongjiang, on the Soviet border. He kept his go alive by playing over games in his head. He studied old Chinese games and copies of Japanese Kido Yearbooks. He only was allowed to return to Beijing in 1972, where he was admitted to the national training squad and started studying under Chen Zude. who was eight years older.

His defeat of the Japanese 9-dan Miyamoto Naoki soon after, in 1974, was the turning point in his career and made him nationally famous. He has suffered from a heart condition, exacerbated by the harsh farm work in exile. It often forced him to take oxygen during a game. Clearly this also had an impact on his career, especially internationally, but he did win close to 40 titles (ironically including the Physical Education Cup!). He was given the lifetime honorific title of Go Sage by the Chinese Weiqi Association in 1988. He still maintains a high-quality school in Beijing. His long friendship with President Deng Xiaopeng (they were also bridge partners) obviously did him no harm, but we can perhaps say that was compensation for Mao Zedong's time.

His son Ko Reibun is a 7-dan pro in Japan, and he was the product of Nie's marriage to Kong Xiangming, who was the first pro I ever played. A lovely lady, who apparently has a proven lineage to Confucius (the Con bit = Kong). I've also met Reibun but I wouldn't say he'd be first name on my Christmas card list. But Reibun (incidentally, a pupil of Kikuchi Yasuro rather than his father or mother, from the time his mother settled in Japan) married Sayaka, daughter of Kobayashi Satoru.

I always like to remember the above acts of friendship and closeness between Japan and China whenever the politicians start their annual sabre-rattling.

Nie's nickname of Mister Three Ears from the old version of the character with which his family name is written: 聶.

Anyway, three cheers for Three Ears on his 70th, and lang may his lum reek.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 7 people: Akura, Elom0, ez4u, gennan, gowan, hyperpape, silviu22

Post subject: Re: Mister Three Ears turns 70
Post #2 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:34 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I can normally go some time without reading about or thinking of the cultural revolution, but just recently, I learned about its effect on Yitang Zhang (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yitang_Zhang). He is notable, because as an essentially unknown 58 year old professor, he proved a major result about the gaps between prime numbers. More recently, he put forth a proof of another major open problem. It's not yet accepted, as far as I know, but it's exciting.

He is a bit younger than Nie, but similarly had his development interrupted, and only was able to return to his passion much later.

Not so surprising that I'd hear about this in the same time frame. Since the cultural revolution began 55 years ago, we're in the period where we'll be looking back at the careers of many individuals with a similar trajectory. What's strange is that Zhang's career appears near its peak--not normal at his age for a go player or a mathematician.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: Elom0

Post #3 Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:00 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
He [Zhang Yitang] is notable, because as an essentially unknown 58 year old professor, he proved a major result about the gaps between prime numbers. More recently, he put forth a proof of another major open problem. It's not yet accepted, as far as I know, but it's exciting....What's strange is that Zhang's career appears near its peak--not normal at his age for a go player or a mathematician.

Almost feels like bit of telepathy here. Late last night my daughter (who works in a posh girls' school with lots of bright scholarship pupils) was telling me about a 12-year-old there who has discovered a new way to calculate pi, which has been submitted publication. Another Sumire! But then first thing this morning I read the above about someone doing something similar (and better?) at the other end of the scale.

Gives everybody hope! Except, perhaps, that in between those two things, in bed, I was reading a bit about Confucius which quoted his famous "analect": "In a hamlet of ten households, there are bound to be those who are my equal in doing their best for others and being trustworthy in what they say, but they are unlikely to be as eager to learn as I am." Pesky hard work gets in the way again! That was rammed home when I recalled another of my daughter's 12-year-old pupils who speed reads TWO 500-page novels EVERY DAY and has proven in tests to understand and remember the details. She has even read and enjoyed James Joyce's Ulysses!!!!!!! In contrast, I didn't manage even five pages before I had to put the light out.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom0

Post #4 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:19 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
when I recalled another of my daughter's 12-year-old pupils who speed reads TWO 500-page novels EVERY DAY and has proven in tests to understand and remember the details. She has even read and enjoyed James Joyce's Ulysses!!!!!!! In contrast, I didn't manage even five pages before I had to put the light out.

Imagine if she did nothing but study your books and translations for a week. While the rest of us are whining and whinging she'd get to 9p!

Post #5 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:12 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Wasn't there some theory that (at some point in ancient history) pi was calculated from the stones used from a game like mancala? I don't remember the radius they suggested, maybe 13 : 4.

This post by Javaness2 was liked by: Elom0

Post #6 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:27 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Elom0 wrote:
John Fairbairn wrote:
when I recalled another of my daughter's 12-year-old pupils who speed reads TWO 500-page novels EVERY DAY and has proven in tests to understand and remember the details. She has even read and enjoyed James Joyce's Ulysses!!!!!!! In contrast, I didn't manage even five pages before I had to put the light out.

Imagine if she did nothing but study your books and translations for a week. While the rest of us are whining and whinging she'd get to 9p!

A fast reader doesn't read fast under all circumstances. She won't read go books that fast if she finds them boring.