It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Too many pros in Japan?
Post #21 Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:18 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
azrael wrote:
Is the increasing number of Western Pros contributing to the increasing number of Japanese Pros?

No. The list is simply too short: http://senseis.xmp.net/?WesternProfessionals.

Post #22 Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:33 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
azrael wrote:
Is the increasing number of Western Pros contributing to the increasing number of Japanese Pros?

There is only one Western Pro in Japan...

Post #23 Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:10 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Is there any country or area in the world where Go is thriving and more and more people are becoming players (amateur or pro)? Seems the Go population of Japan has been declining for 20 years or more. In the USA membership in the AGA has been pretty much stagnant for some time. I've seen stories to the effect that tournament sponsorship is decreasing and go schools are closing in Korea. I have no information about Europe or China.

Post #24 Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:45 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 9
gowan wrote:
Is there any country or area in the world where Go is thriving and more and more people are becoming players (amateur or pro)? Seems the Go population of Japan has been declining for 20 years or more. In the USA membership in the AGA has been pretty much stagnant for some time. I've seen stories to the effect that tournament sponsorship is decreasing and go schools are closing in Korea. I have no information about Europe or China.

It is my impression that the annual Pro Qualification Tournament in China has become more competitive every year. The following post

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=432241312

which chronicles the tournament from 1988 through 2003, says pretty much the same thing. According to that post, the number of candidates for pros reached a then-historical high of 264 in 2000 and 22 of them turned pro.

By comparison, 364 candidates competed for 18 slots in 2010, according to http://news.sina.com.cn/o/2010-07-28/051117873596s.shtml. I think the numbers refer to the U17 group, as another news piece says something like 400+ people competing for 20 slots. 2010 is the first year when Zhonggua Qiyuan, on popular demand, created a U25 group for young candidates older than 17 to compete for 2 additional pro slots. In addition, 80 female candidates (U20) competed for 3 pro slots.

As Chinese Go players perform better and better in international events, one can only expect this trend to continue in China for a while.