It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: World's best
Post #1 Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:49 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Piao Wenyao has just become the 25th player to hold a world pro open title in go.

What may surprise the fashionistas is that Japan has a more than respectable presence in that list. Korea has nine different titlists, and Japan has eight - ahead of China with seven. Taiwan has one.

Admittedly, Japan has not had a new titlist since 2005, and some of the previous ones were Taiwanese in disguise, but the go world is pretty mixed up at the moment and nationalist lines are rather fuzzy. Even Piao, though from China, is strictly an ethnic Korean, and it will be recalled that when his father was robbed and murdered in 2000, with the family already in debt over Piao's go training, it was Cho Hun-hyeon and other Koreans who rallied round and helped them financially.

There are lots of nice guys in go.

Post subject: Re: World's best
Post #2 Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:13 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Some data: http://senseis.xmp.net/?InternationalTitleStatistics. I hope they're truthy.

Post subject: Re: World's best
Post #3 Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:14 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
Nice word, 'truthy'. :)

Interesting page on Sensei's too. I didn't realise Takemiya was Japan's top winner of international titles. If asked to guess before seeing this I'd probably have gone with Kobayashi. Did Kobayashi really only win one international title?

That being said, I was lucky enough to come across a second hand copy of John Power's 1992 Tournament Go recently. Some of Takemiya's game records in that book are really inspiring. The commentary is good too.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV