It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Professional Go Calendar
Post #1 Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:35 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
If you've visited Go Game Guru in the last few weeks, you might or might not have noticed that we've been setting up a professional Go calendar, which you can use to keep track of when upcoming pro games will be played.

I'd like to thank trout, from Life in 19x19, in particular for his generous help in keeping it up to date.

We were originally just setting up a calendar up for ourselves, to help us plan the Go news reports better, but then we decided that a calendar would be useful for other people too.

It's still a work in progress, but it's starting to cover a reasonable amount of the important games that are happening. Feedback and suggestions are very welcome. Also, if you'd like to help us maintain this resource, please let me know.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

This post by gogameguru was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post subject: Re: Professional Go Calendar
Post #2 Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:41 pm 
Lives in gote

I take it from the response, that we've misread this one a bit and there's actually not much interest in a resource like this?

I posted this here partly to get feedback about whether it was worth committing time to maintaining a calendar in this format. If you think time is better spent on something else, then that feedback is useful too.

Thanks

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

Post #3 Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 121
Universal go server handle: Jordus
I think it is a great resource that works well if you know where to look for the games. Perhaps part of the problem we hit here is many people aren't sure where they can find the game to watch it?

Post #4 Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:51 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 528
You can watch most(probably all of it.) of games on wbaduk or tygem.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:22 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
gogameguru wrote:
I take it from the response, that we've misread this one a bit and there's actually not much interest in a resource like this?

I posted this here partly to get feedback about whether it was worth committing time to maintaining a calendar in this format. If you think time is better spent on something else, then that feedback is useful too.

Thanks

Take this as you will, but over the time I've been a member on the forum, I've heard several different people lament the lack of something exactly like this. Admittedly, it is not something I intend to use myself (I prefer the entertainment of playing or reading lectures over that of watching pro games). I was just guessing that more people would be interested in it than have responded here.

Of course, whether the amount of interest makes it worth your while is something that only you can decide.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:15 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
I don't have the time to devote to watching professionals play games, even quicker TV games. I prefer to just look at the SGF afterward, and hope An Younggil writes commentary on it (:D). Perhaps if I could understand the language of the TV commentators, I would watch more live games. But since I'm not watching games live, I don't usually feel the need to know what's upcoming in the professional circuit.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:25 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I've added it to my google calendars and like it. Great job!

Post #8 Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I know that this means more work, and I'm not sure if it would be worth the trouble, but the main point of such a calendar is so that one can watch the games. If there is no information as to where and when the game will be broadcast, I don't see it as being of much use.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:20 am 
Oza

daal wrote:
I know that this means more work, and I'm not sure if it would be worth the trouble, but the main point of such a calendar is so that one can watch the games. If there is no information as to where and when the game will be broadcast, I don't see it as being of much use.

Almost all the games are on wbaduk.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Thanks for your feedback so far everyone.

One thing I'm taking from this is that we should add a comment at the beginning that you can watch the games on Tygem and WBaduk.

Daal: I know having the exact time of each game would make things more convenient, but if there's only limited interest in this anyway, I know you'll understand if we don't put even more effort into it right now.

Post #11 Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:29 pm 
Oza

gogameguru wrote:

How hard would it be to add the actual starting time rather than just make it an all day event on the calendar?

Post #12 Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:01 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 528
oren wrote:
gogameguru wrote:

How hard would it be to add the actual starting time rather than just make it an all day event on the calendar?

The problem is information of playing time is not available until maybe sometime couple of days or not at all before playing day.

Post #13 Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:31 pm 
Oza

trout wrote:
The problem is information of playing time is not available until maybe sometime couple of days or not at all before playing day.

But just as often, the major match start times are well known. For Japanese matches, I have little problem finding starting times.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Detailed information like that may or may not be available when one of us checks one of several websites in different languages. Going back later (sometimes several times) to update everything with match times would more than double the amount of work involved. It's a community effort, so I don't want to ask too much of other people's time or my own.

Oren, are you interested in helping to keep the Japanese events up to date? You could add the match times for Japanese games (at least) if you know how to obtain that information.